My Ulterra Experience (If you have one or thinking of getting one READ THIS)

Started by GregL, September 24, 2021, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Wow!!   I've heard of many people who were totally satisfied with no issues, but your story is unbelievable.

Keep us updated... I want to hear how it progresses please.

Thanks,
Greg

Hodgey1

I just used my Ulterra for the first time and had two issues with it that maybe connected.

• The cords would get completely wrapped around the head while using the anchor mode
  • it a couple of times in a few hours, would un anchor

I think that the cords were getting wrapped up to the point that the motor couldn't turn and it would shut down/un-anchor. I have to figure out how to keep that from happening, my other boats with ipilot never did that........
Walleye Rock!

plowjock

Hodgey 1 I have found that just before hitting spot lock, I try to make sure the boat is facing into the wind or current.
This then makes it easier for the Ulterra to hold you without getting the cord all wrapped around the head of motor.
Also found that having the shaft not trimmed down full depth allows for a little more cable to play with.
Found out the hard way one day with the trolling motor trimmed right down, cord wraps around head too easily.
Did catch it before cord would've been pulled out.

Hodgey1

Those are all good tips @plowjock . I will need to try implementing those tricks next time out. I am dragging my feet winterizing my boat, in hopes to get it out a couple of times yet before its full on winter here.
Walleye Rock!

plowjock

Hodgey1, don't worry about dragging your feet on winterizing your boat, the best fishing is now upon us. Fish all gathered up, easy pickings.
More spaces in parking lots at boat ramps and no crowds at the boat ramps either.
Best time of year for the dedicated fisherman.

GregL

Quote from: plowjock on October 23, 2021, 06:40:29 AM
Hodgey 1 I have found that just before hitting spot lock, I try to make sure the boat is facing into the wind or current.
This then makes it easier for the Ulterra to hold you without getting the cord all wrapped around the head of motor.
Also found that having the shaft not trimmed down full depth allows for a little more cable to play with.
Found out the hard way one day with the trolling motor trimmed right down, cord wraps around head too easily.
Did catch it before cord would've been pulled out.

Totally agree, get your bow facing in the wind and stop all forward movement. Then hit anchor, I would be shocked if you are ever more than 3 feet from where you hit anchor.

Sometimes my both mine would wrap up.. but they always just unwound themselves.

I'll be a honest, I'm a little disappointed you have not posted any vids of you flying in that beast!

plowjock

Hodgey 1 with the I-Pilot Link, my guide friend finds that it goes through batteries in the remote rather quickly
He says this is his only complaint. Mind you, he is fishing the St. Lawrence River a fair bit and has a strong current.

Greg L I hope your new unit performs a lot better than the last unit you had. Mine is only a 60" shaft.
No issues at all and still running great later into fall on 7 year old trolling motor batteries, kept charged up with a Noco Genus 3 bank 30 amp charger. My boat has been out of commission for last 4 weeks with a blown computer. got the computer EMC for it . Yes, it's a Rude Will be out fishing until water ices over where I can't break through it. Lots of good big fish to be caught this time of year. When my EMC went, I was 5 miles from launch and travelling back into a slight head wind. Set my speed at 2.5 MPH and Turned Autopilot on, sat down had my lunch and fruit, then did some trolling and observed lake bottom on sonar. 1.5 hours later I was off the water, safely on my way home. Batteries for T.M. were still registering 75% charge. Runnung an MK 60 amp circuit breaker right on battery.

plowjock

Greg L, What is the amp rating on your plug and receptacle for the trolling motor. I saw where you had been running in top end of power draw and was just wondering if your power draw was heating up a plug,receptacle area a bit and causing lower power when required. Only other issue I can think of is power cable from Battery to receptacle, is it heavy enough gauge for the distance. Couple years back when my big motor died on same area of lake, I tried to come back to launch, only was in a bit of a hurry and ran trolling motor a little faster, I kept blowing the 40 amp breaker on my line and my batteries died before I got back to launch. Luckily another boater helped us out with a tow back to launch. Too soon OLD too late Smart.

GregL

Quote from: plowjock on November 04, 2021, 07:11:17 AM
Greg L, What is the amp rating on your plug and receptacle for the trolling motor. I saw where you had been running in top end of power draw and was just wondering if your power draw was heating up a plug,receptacle area a bit and causing lower power when required. Only other issue I can think of is power cable from Battery to receptacle, is it heavy enough gauge for the distance. Couple years back when my big motor died on same area of lake, I tried to come back to launch, only was in a bit of a hurry and ran trolling motor a little faster, I kept blowing the 40 amp breaker on my line and my batteries died before I got back to launch. Luckily another boater helped us out with a tow back to launch. Too soon OLD too late Smart.

Hi Plowjock,

I always run 6 gauge wiring and a 60 amp breaker and have this plug https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-Tender-DC-Power-Connector

I did all my ends with longer shank lugs so I could get a double crimp on each connection this time. I'm sure the first ones were fine because I crimped and soldered them but I wasn't
taking any chances and removing all excuses :)

So I have all newly crimped lugs and batteries. I used a buddies fluke to confirm I have no amp drop after the plug between the TM and the plug when I had the previous one.

I also got a cover for it when towing to help keep it clean.

I am pretty darn sure it's not my rigging. I've rigged 4 or 5 boats from scratch and never had a issue. I always rig my boats personally because I am fussy! LOL!

I think we just got a lemon unit, which happens and good on MinnKota for replacing a unit of this level! They are not cheap!!

So far so good with the new one, we used it for 4 days over thanksgiving with zero issues!

plowjock

Greg L , Glad to hear you got some time out on the water without Issues. Sounds like you've got the power source in real good shape. I know what you mean, being fussy on way things are rigged up. Don't blame you, as I am the same way. If anything right now, I'm cheating on is the Plug and receptacle being under 50 amp. My fishing buddy says I never run the trolling motor that high of speed, so I shouldn't have to worry about having a max amp draw on the breaker, wires or plug and receptacle. Twist lock plug and receptacle, don't like the 3 pin plug in. feel they can wiggle loose. This will then cause some extra power draw.

GregL

Honestly for the cost, I really like the battery tender one.

I have used the ranger style, big plastic push together ones (I call them tow motor plugs LOL!) and the battery tender is by far my favorite and best made in my opinion.

3 Tools I would really like to have when rigging a boat next time

1) Accurate Lug Crimpers where (6 gauge actually properly crimps 6 gauge) and does a nice clean crimp without the big wings on either side!
2) Soldering Iron that gets hot enough to heat up a 4 or 6 gauge lug quick enough to solder without burning the wire covers
3) Fluke amp measuring tool. I can borrow one but it's always nice to just have one!

plowjock

Greg L, I like that plug. know it's pricey, but the big benefit of added electrical safety on a DC set up is worth it.
Seeing your wish list of equipment for wiring, my buddy who helps me out with electrical problems has stated all the same tools to me before.
I know he has some good tool, not sure if it's a Fluke or not for measuring amp draw.
Spent yesterday out on the water with a little slay fest of 5lb. Smallies. What a day for this time of year. Had to use his boat as my EMM on the E-Tec croaked and haven't got into a shop to get it repaired. Have the new EMM in hand though.