Alwaki May 20 - 24

Started by GregL, May 26, 2022, 08:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

We had a great weekend at Alwaki this weekend! Weather was great and fish were on fire! I think if you are up there this week, it will be magic!!

I got to say this was one of our best openers yet! We caught multiple walleye in the 20's and a bunch in the 19 inch range. We easily limited out on fish between 17 and 19", I've never thrown back so many 16" plus fish there!

I think if we slowed our presentation we would have gotten into the big females but these fish were smashing our baits, it was way to hard to slow down the presentations.
We spent Sunday & Monday afternoon getting hammered by fish in this range on artificials!! Tina and I had multiple double headers and a lot of fish on every cast! So much fun when artificial baits produce side by side of live bait.

Tina got 2 nice Lakers fishing for walleye one was just under legal.

Monday we tried our downriggers, they are actually pretty easy to use. We definitely can not use the extendable booms on this boat. I tried them and the gunnel was flexing like a wet noodle, even with my support brackets installed. The auto stop works very well but I'm surprised the ball stops about a foot below the waters edge. I'm not sure why the current is broken at that level. I was under the impression that the metal clip has to come out of the water to break the connection and tell the motor to stop.   

I'm surprised how accurate the counters are on them. It is very cool to see both balls on the graph, you don't even need to know how deep your balls are, you just drop them until they are above the fish and take into account your lure depth and your set. We marked a ton of good fish all over Hunters down around 80' I'm not sure what they were, we were out over 150'.

Then we got brave and started trolling the drops between 20' and 60' and Tina picked up a very chubby 27" Laker!!  We let it go because it gave her such an awesome fight on our light walleye trolling rod! So we felt it deserved it LOL!

Thank you Brain , Tina and Pierre for the great weekend!

NortonJoe

Thanks for the report! Down to 57 days for our group....
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your trip report Greg. Certainly great to read one again.

I'm wondering whether or not you would mind sharing the sizes of the walleye you caught over 20 inches. The walleye harvest length limit (walleye under 14.5 inches went back as well as any walleye over 20.5 inches) was implemented for Lake Kipawa in 2016 - some six years ago. It would be great to have an assessment of how well the walleye harvest length limit is working.

Jay

GregL

Quote from: Jay Thomas on May 26, 2022, 03:32:15 PM
Thanks for your trip report Greg. Certainly great to read one again.

I'm wondering whether or not you would mind sharing the sizes of the walleye you caught over 20 inches. The walleye harvest length limit (walleye under 14.5 inches went back as well as any walleye over 20.5 inches) was implemented for Lake Kipawa in 2016 - some six years ago. It would be great to have an assessment of how well the walleye harvest length limit is working.

Jay

Hi Jay,

They ranged from the slot cut off to 23.5. Like I said if we slowed down we probably would have seen larger fish but man they were hungry! So much fun lol!

limacharley

@Jay Thomas

I caught a few over the limit last Saturday and so did Ozzy's group. I'm sure there are others??
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Jay Thomas

Thanks to GregL and limacharley for the information.

Jay

GregL

Quote from: limacharley on May 27, 2022, 09:07:19 AM
@Jay Thomas

I caught a few over the limit last Saturday and so did Ozzy's group. I'm sure there are others??

NICE!! :)

My goal is to learn how to find those big females. This lake has to have a healthy population of them! I think the ticket is slow way down, but that is hard to do! hehe!

smitty55

Quote from: GregL on May 27, 2022, 11:56:29 AM
Quote from: limacharley on May 27, 2022, 09:07:19 AM
@Jay Thomas

NICE!! :)

My goal is to learn how to find those big females. This lake has to have a healthy population of them! I think the ticket is slow way down, but that is hard to do! hehe!

Greg my suggestion for that is to fish after dark, that's when the big girls come out to play. My biggest came at 10:30 on a June full moon back trolling along a small island close to deeper water. Check your pm.

Kill Switch

thanks for the report!!!
How deep are the walleye this time of year?
I usually go up in August and fish the humps around Cedar Valley Lodge.
Looking at going June 7th. May have to go alone, no one I know can go..lol

Cheers
Patrick

Hodgey1

Wish I had been there with you guys. Thanks for the report!
Walleye Rock!