Marine Mechanic

Started by hinorth, June 13, 2022, 10:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hinorth

Does there happen to be a marine mechanic in the group or even someone that has been able to master setting up a gear shifter on an inboard. The locking nut on the actual shifter came loose and the shifter handle disconnected from what I think is the other half of the gear and now I cannot figure out how to get it to the right spot. I’ve been fiddling with it am I am not stranded but it sure is awkward when you put it in forward position and it goes backwards. Any help would be greatly appreciated

RHYBAK

just take it to a professional
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

hinorth

Rhybak, where would you suggest?  If it makes a difference it a 24.5' Bayliner. I'm finding that places don't want to deal with anything too old. 

Fort Wisers

hinorth

Fort Wisers, Bronson Island

Fort Wisers

@hinorth sorry for the delay.
I was more asking about where you lived? As in, if you were close to the Ottawa area I could recommend a few places down here.....

However, if the boat is up at Kipawa then here are a couple local suggestions:
In Kipawa proper go see Boucher Marine, he wrenches on boats (or used to anyhow)
If you don't mind trailering to North Bay Idyltime is really good IMHO

And lastly, if you really don't mind doing this yourself then here is a good video (this is for a Mercruiser Alpha drive):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s_tgevX2aI

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out.
Have a great season!

hinorth

@Fort Wisers   Sorry, I'm in HUntsville.  Tried Idyltime, they said they don't work on boats older than 1990 but gave me a couple suggestions.  One which was Toy Dr. so I stopped there and they told me they weren't interested in looking at it.  The video link you sent is great and one that I hadn't found.  It is a starting point but my actual problem is at the other end at the remote shift lever which I cannot find anything on youtube about.  I'll keep fiddling with it and if nothing good comes of it I'll manage through this season and at the end of it when I pull it out onto the trailer will get it in somewhere before I get it to storage.  Thanks for your help.

RHYBAK

Have you tried Gordon Bay Marine
Hamer Bay Marine
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle