Bush Country Camp June 4-11

Started by fishtildark, June 13, 2022, 01:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishtildark

A short report for our first spring trip to BCC in three years.. Had a really great week in spite of some challenging weather conditions . A couple days there were on and off rainstorms all day only to clear up in the evening. Tough fishing when the walleyes ate all day but still caught fish, just not the usual numbers those days. Overall the walleye fishing was good though and the pike and lake trout were very active. We usually feel lucky to have a couple lake trout hookups during the week but this week we landed 4 out of 6 hookups. Lost a large laker after about 10 minutes fight and only a glimpse of him. Caught another 8# in same place just a few minutes later. Jack also had a large pike encounter where the fish went into the shallows and we could see the top half of the monster. he then decided enough and with 8# test and no leader it was over.. always happens when trolling for Walleyes. Most of the walleyes were in the 16-19 inch range with several over the slot. Camp was in great shape , the boat and motor were almost new and the bugs were only bad in a few places. Planning on going again in September but have a feeling that whoever is there this week will have a big time..as long as we saw the end of the mayfly hatch in places and not the beginning.
So many lures and so little time.

Hodgey1

Glad your trip was a good one FTD! I saw the trout you caught, nice fish.
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Good to hear you had a great trip.
To bad Jack caught ALL the fish because he seemed to be the only one seen in pictures   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

BigChief

Can I ask the depth you were fishing and the depth of your slip bobber? Seems to be different for everyone in camp this week.

Chazz

Fishtildark - nice report - me and a couple buddies are headed to Sasseginaga July 16, would you mind sharing where you were picking up the lakers

RHYBAK

Quote from: BigChief on June 13, 2022, 11:23:51 PM
Can I ask the depth you were fishing and the depth of your slip bobber? Seems to be different for everyone in camp this week.

Every time I'm in Smith Bay, I run 5 to 7 feet
If you're down at Twin Rocks run 7 feet

fishtildark

answers to questions...
As to slip bobbers..... we didnt use them although I intended to buy some to try.. Walleyes were mostly in 12 feet or less.
as to the trout location.... they were in main lake but scattered and were in 25 to 30 feet. by July I am guessing that they will be much deeper. One of the reasons we like to go in June is that we can flatline for them. We did mark fish in the deep areas but dont have much chance of catching one at 60-90 feet with the equipment we use.

RHYBAK

I think that most of the big schools you are marking in 60-90 feet at that time are whitefish

To get the whitefish, I would anchor and jig the bottom with a Vibrato

Chazz

Thanks, one more question - how was the road in ?

fishtildark

Rhybak, only reason that i thought trout was there were usually a couple fish hanging with a cloud of baitfish.. dont know much about whitefish, are they likely to do that?
Chazz, road was good on the way in , with the typical rough spots the last 20 miles. coming out there was a significant difference with some erosion because of all the rain. I am sure that too will change by July.

RHYBAK

Yes Sam
Whitefish will act the same as lake trout.
Chase the same Bait and Live at the same depths.
On Lake Simcoe, they jig for whitefish in 110 FOW.
In Muskoka, I jig for Lake Trout in 120FOW

Chazz

Interesting didn't know there was whitefish in Sasseginaga.  I have marked fish in the 60 to 90 ft of water but I figured those were lake trout.