TBL Report 6/18 - 6/25

Started by 10ring, June 28, 2022, 09:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10ring

We just returned from our second trip to Taggart Bay Lodge and again it was awesome! This time there were six of us along for a week of bear hunting and fishing.  Three generations of us to be exact.  All told we went 5 out of 6 on bears with my father (pop pop to the grand kids) swinging and missing on the third night.  The weather was very cold and windy when we arrived on the 18th and it stayed that way for two days. It warmed up in the 80's for the remainder of the week.
Admittedly we did not fish much early on in the trip due to our bear hunting adventures.  As we proceeded to harvest our bears our time spent fishing increased greatly.  We were very productive with the walleyes again on this trip finding them in 12'-15' of water using slip bobbers with a jig and a leech.  This is gonna sound crazy, but we had a bit of a time catching keepers in the slot.  Many of our fish were way over the slot. While I cannot give you a count of how many we caught I can tell you that we had many between 24"-30" and we caught enough keepers to eat them all week.  In fact it was a bit concerning that we didn't catch many small walleyes.  Only a handful on the week.  In an effort to try new things, we did fish bottom bouncers and lindy rigs with some success.  Never did that before, but when the slip bobbers were not as productive it definitely helped keep us in the game and boat a few more fish.  The smallmouth were very aggressive and absolutely huge.  We would target them when the sun was high in the middle of the day with great success.  We did catch quite a few pike this trip.  We were not targeting them but just happened to hook and land a few really nice ones with the biggest stretching the tape to just a whisker over 38".  The cabin, boats, and equipment were all clean and in good working order and I honestly have nothing bad to say concerning our trip. It was a huge success and one that three generations of our family will not soon forget!  Again, many thanks to those that have shared techniques, tips, and knowledge about fishing on lake Kipawa.  Your help is appreciated and it definitely helped to put us on fish and thoroughly enjoy our trip.

10ring

limacharley

Hey there 10 Ring. Glad you had a successful bear hunt and good fishing. 5 out of 6 tags filled is pretty darn good.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Oarin

Thanks for the report! Glad you had a great time. My son and I are heading to Taggart Bay Outpost in 24 days! If you don't mind, what color jigs worked best? Hope to hear more reports soon.

10ring

Not a problem at all.  It was either chartreuse or pink.  I only used the chartreuse and my brother stuck with the pink. I can't say either one was better than the other.  They both worked great.  We were either using 1/8 or 1/16 ounce jigs with a leech on six pound test mono. or 4lb. dia. braid.

Greg

Great report!  Thanks for sharing.

Oarin

BH

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear that Yves has the lodge running great.  My son and I are heading up on 7/16 and can't wait after two years absence.  Already breaking out my maps from previous trips planning on where to go on the lake.
Love fishing

T-Bone

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Thanks for sharing @10ring . Sounds like a nice dual purpose trip.
Walleye Rock!