Grandson's first trip

Started by Medic101, July 18, 2022, 08:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic101

Howdy.
I am bringing my grandson up to Kipawa Lodge in August. This is his first trip.
Looking for advice to help and 11-year-old catch some nice fish.
Thank you.
k
c

rsobotka

Hello

I am bring both my boys up for their third trip in August. They are 10 and 12. They are already getting amped up to go . I always make sure that we head out and they both pick out a couple of lures or jigs that they believe will bring them luck . I also have a few maps printed off that we go through to pick out spots that they think maybe the new honey hole . I mean if it works they are proud that they had a say in the location . We will make up the spot on the map and give it their own name .
I'm always making sure they are actively involved with what the plan is for the day and where we will head out too. I also find making sure I mix it up between trolling and jigging . We will head out in the early evening and troll to our spot to Jig that evening. Kids don't have that much patients so if your at a spot that's not hitting  have a back up plan and make sure it's a spot that it highly recommended to ensure you'll get some hits. Outside of that Snacks and water along for the ride goes a long way.
When in August and where are you staying?

I hope this helps a little

Ozzy30

We have been catching lots of fish in that area medic101.  I'm just learning it and doing well jigging and trolling.  I'm sure Wayne will supply maps for known hotspots in that area.  Good luck.  What week in August you up?

Hodgey1

Quote from: Medic101 on July 18, 2022, 08:39:34 PM
Howdy.
I am bringing my grandson up to Kipawa Lodge in August. This is his first trip.
Looking for advice to help and 11-year-old catch some nice fish.

This will be my first trip with my grandsons 7 & 9. @rsobotka advice is solid.

My plan is this:

• Remove any pressure to get out on the water & not be pushing them to get out early
  • Mix it up troll/jig
  • move to a lot of different locations as needed to catch fish
  • allow them to goof off on the boat if need be
  • have other non fishing activities planned "fire-Swimming-Ect"

If your question is more towards the actually getting him to catch fish, ask Wayne, @Ozzy30 and @limacharley about specific locations of where to fish. Once at one of those locations tip a 1/8oz chartreuse colored jig head with a live leech or half a crawler and gently bounce it off the bottom. Best time of day is early evening till dark, next best is predawn till the sun is fully up. Mid days have never been good for me to jig, I am now trolling mid days with bottom bouncers outfitted with a worm harness.

Best of luck, im sure he will enjoy it, I hope my two do.
Walleye Rock!

rsobotka

Another thought that we are going to try this year is mid week go on adventure . Pack a lunch and head out for a boat ride to a spot that looks good for a shore lunch and hopefully a swim.

Ozzy30

rsobotka have you ever been to the canal.  Great spot for lunch just across from the entrance into the canal and cool place to take the kids.

Fort Wisers

Quote from: Ozzy30 on July 21, 2022, 08:21:53 AM
rsobotka have you ever been to the canal.  Great spot for lunch just across from the entrance into the canal and cool place to take the kids.
I literally scrolled down to say the same thing!

rsobotka

I have not been there. Hopefully I can find it and we will definitely check it out if anyone can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks

Hodgey1

Quote from: rsobotka on July 21, 2022, 11:53:19 PM
I have not been there. Hopefully I can find it and we will definitely check it out if anyone can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks

@rsobotka use the link below to a map i made showing canal bay approximate location.

Quote from: Hodgey1 on September 16, 2019, 07:38:51 AM
This link below will take you to a collaborative map of the Kipawa area, points of interest and points of concern. It's intended purpose is informational only and not to be used for navigation, as the positions and locations marked are general in nature and not precise. Feel free to add anything that would be useful to our forum group.

Kipawa Map link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1i0q7_FP8SmDyGalN6TGk9qZ1u8gHmX-I&ll=46.92770145972488%2C-78.91424112110366&z=11
Walleye Rock!