Based Near Miwapanee Lodge

Started by Parkhead, July 21, 2022, 05:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parkhead

Hi Folks,

I will be taking the family up to Lake Kipawa to stay at one of Miwapanee Lodge's outpost cottages mid-August.  We will be targeting pike and walleye.  In order to avoid the "Papa, are there actually fish in this lake?!" comments from my teenage daughters I am hoping you guys can give me tips on where in that part of the lake I should go. As well as any specific gear (lures, jigs, plastics etc) I should have.  We will be renting a boat from the lodge for the week. I assume it will be a small 14' with an outboard to match.

Thank you in advance. :)

Ozzy30

Which outpost are you staying at?  They have one up in Dead Bear Bay, if that is where you are staying, then yes lots of fantastic fishing in that area and there are a lot of helpful people on this site to help you catch them.  Most boats for the lodges are atleast 16', 14 is pretty small for this lake.  Find out where you are staying and we can definitely help out. 

Parkhead

Thank you Ozzy!  We will be staying at "S" Camp.  I am guessing at the size of the boat, so I am going with your suggestion of 16'. :)

TBIRD

Hi Parkhead & Welcome to the Board.

You've chosen a Great place. I've stayed @ Miwapanee numerous times over the years - pretty much
all their locations, except "S Camp"  :( - I'm not sure were "S Camp" is located, but I can check with Sue or James  - James has arranged rental boats for me several times - never any issues - feel free to PM me (email address is in my profile).

TBIRD

Hi Parkhead:
I rec'd your email (sent to me via the Board) - I don't have your email address - you can call me @ 613-339-1373

T-Bone

Not sure where S Camp is, but we stayed at two of Miwapanee's outpost cabins...one in Dead Bear Bay, the other on Lac Grindstone (think he sold that one a couple years back). If it's the one in Dead Bear Bay, I can offer you some suggestions on where to try around there.

And don't mind Rhybak, he wakes up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes...  :P
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

T-Bone

Looked at their web site; S Camp is NOT the cabin we stayed in...and I have no idea where it is located. Ask James to provide some area of the lake for us to reference...a bay name, an island name, etc. and we'll try to help.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Parkhead

Thanks T-BONE. I will reach out to James to get more info.  Stay tuned.

ziggy6

In the several years of going up to the kipawa region the fishermen on this forum are a great source of information and  very few will blast you for a slight oversight.    Good luck and when in doubt, 1/8 jig with a leech .. :)

limacharley

Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

TBIRD

S Camp is about 5 minutes from the main Miwapanee Lodge on the same shoreline

limacharley

@Parkhead
If S camp is in Baie des Anglais, the predominate westerly winds should not be a problem as that bay is sheltered.
Have a look at a Navionics map to find shoals. Fish in 18-25 feet of water with jigs. Use worms or leeches.

I always see boats fishing near the islands at the mouth of the Beauvin narrows in the evening.

Having fished with a couple of teenagers, patience is a virtue.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Parkhead

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the reponses.  I finally found out where S Camp is located.  It turns out is in Bai Chapoton.   Does that ring a bell with anyone?

smitty55

Baie Chapoton is that large bay around the corner to the left of the lodge. Zoom in on google maps and you'll see it marked.

Ozzy30

I really don't know many spots up that direction unfortunately.  I know alot of people will still make the run to fish between Corbeau Island and Alwaki lodge.  Camp boat probably a 20-25 minute run.  I do see people fish around the little island heading up through the narrow that direction and there is some islands and a big shoal I pass over when heading to cottage.   If you send me a PM with an email address I will try and send a map where I see people fish up that direction.