Watson Lake July 22-29

Started by NortonJoe, August 05, 2022, 01:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonJoe

After three long years, we departed from Akron, OH on a beautiful, partly sunny day.  There were eight of us making the trip this year, so, after packing the trucks as tightly as possible with more stuff than we could possibly ever need, we pulled out. The ride was good and, after fueling up at Angola, and grabbing a quick breakfast sandwich and coffee at McD's, we headed for Buffalo and the Peace Bridge. Of course, we made a stop at the Duty Free for a few liquid refreshments and for a couple of the guys to exchange money and then we were at the bridge.  The wait was only about five cars deep and about twenty minutes.  They asked for passports and asked all the standard questions and we were through and on our way.  Traffic wasn't bad until...you guessed it...I don't even have to say it.  Even then it wasn't as bad as in years past, just what I like to call the "rubber banding effect" slow down, speed up, repeat.  Slow down, speed up, repeat.  We made it into Huntsville around 2:00 and stopped at the Boston Pizza on the Muskoka River for a bite to eat and a cold, frothy brew on the deck. Next stop...North Bay for the night. After a snack and a few more libations at Wacky Wings in North Bay, we hit the sack early so we could make the final trek back as early as possible in the morning.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I think, even in North Bay, the air in the morning has a fresh pine and lake smell that tells me I am in Canada.  After a quick breakfast at the hotel and some final shopping for perishable groceries we were on our way.  Even though we all bought our fishing license online this year, we still had to stop at Depanneur Stop 102 to grab some extra beer and a few final snacks.  Down the road a bit, a right turn on the Maniwaki Road, and we were soon in the bush.  The Maniwaki Road was in good shape and the dust was minimal because of a light rain the night before so we made good time and found that the Red Pine Road was pretty good as well.  As a matter of fact, the roads were pretty good all the way back, of course taking into account that they deteriorate the farther you get back. It was only about 2 1/2 or 3 hours and we were pulling into camp.

Not much had changed in the three years since we had been back.  Let me tell you, it was sight for sore eyes.  You know that feeling that you can't get the trucks unloaded fast enough so that you can get out on the lake.  So that is what we did...unloaded in record time and got ready to fish. Soon we were on the water with a pole in hand, bait in the water, and nice, icy Jameson and ginger ale.  That first afternoon on the boat with the water lapping the sides and the quiet of the lake is Heaven! It wasn't long before that familiar hit on the bait and, WHAM!, one in the boat!

The fishing was pretty steady and good.  We all caught our limit of walleye, plus two dinners, plus the ones we threw back.  Many over the slot, biggest walleye at 24".  They were hanging around 18-25 feet of water mostly on structure or drop-offs.  We were catching them on everything, trolling Hot 'n Tots, jig and worm...you name it. Finally settled on a gold Hot 'n Tot for most of the trip.  The Pike were hitting as well; we had a great time casting for them in the weed beds. Biggest Pike was around 34".

The weather was a mix, with the first day probably the hottest.  After that, it barely got into the 80s with most days upper 70s-low 80s.  The evenings generally dipped into the upper 50s which was great for sleeping. We had rain on four days but, generally it was very spotty with only one day seeing steady rain.  The wind was generally blowing pretty good out of the SW putting a nice little chop on the water. The lake itself was probably about 6-8" higher than normal.

Honestly, there is nothing like that annual trip to the Canadian bush to get away.  Breakfast and fishing in the morning, lunch and a nap, back out for fishing then dinner and relaxation with friends.  Telling the same stories, laughing at the same jokes.  An Old Fashioned or beer and cigar.  Biggest decision you have to make is what lure to put on or where to go fishing next...already can't wait for July 21, 2023...
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Fort Wisers

Really awesome report @NortonJoe.
Brings back a lot of memories of trips our gang used to take down the Maniwaki.
Thanks for sharing....

TBIRD

Thanks for the Great Report Norton Joe - Glad you & your group finally made it back!!! - hopefully, it will be a yearly event again - 3 years is a loonngg time!
Ray.

Jig and drift

Thanks for the report Joe. Glad to read it all went smoothly. You know you have arrived when the pavement ends and the gravel roads of Maniwaki, Red Pine and the Bearn arrive. Love it

Jay Thomas

Thanks ever so much for your report Joe! Our group doesn't depart until 8 Sep. Consequently, we live vicariously via trip reports. Glad to read that you had a safe and fruitful trip.

Jay

Greg

Thanks Joe... great report... I can tell the emotion in what you wright... that is what we all share about Kipawa and close by.

Cheers, Greg

Hodgey1

Great report NJ, sounds like you all had a awesome trip.
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

Nice report Joe.
As a proud Canadian, I am very happy that you enjoy the fresh air we have to offer.

So you had dinner at Wacky Wings. Did you by chance visit the ballet next door...Lol
How was the talent?
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

NortonJoe

@limacharley HAHA...I tried to talk the guys into it...
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jig and drift

We have eaten at Wacky Wings a couple times and always talk about the “ballet” next store which oddly is right below the Christian book store.  :)