Hodgey1 Alwaki Lodge July 30 - Aug 5

Started by Hodgey1, August 09, 2022, 09:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

What a week, I’m not even sure where to begin. First this was a very special outing for me since both my grandsons and their dads were along. The trip up was a breeze, the pre-trip anxiety of potential border crossing issues were unnecessary. Arrived at 7:00 am, I think we were with the border agent for maybe 3-4  minutes at the most, and only a few cars ahead of us. Stop in North Bay for lunch, it was a traffic nightmare there. Arrival at Temiscaming was around 2:00, bait at Pro Nature & beers/misc at the IGA.

I’m not a light beer drinker, beer must have flavor or I’m drinking bourbon with a cube or 2. On that note, to be a polite Camp host, I like to keep some guest beers on hand “Labatt's Blue”. Do you know there wasn’t a single Blue to be had at the IGA? Was @T-bones group there first? LOL. We did our normal stay at the Au Bercail Friday night and then dinner at the Tem Rose with desert at the whippy dip next to Pro Nature. I’m not a big Ice cream fan, but that was the best twist cone I’ve ever had!

We got to the dock at Kipawa early Saturday morning around 8 AM and took our time getting things loaded in the boat and situated, including putting up the canopy. Nice smooth ride to camp. We were at Alwaki and completely unloaded & rigging lines before noon. Let’s go fishing.

All in all, I would categorize the weeks fishing as difficult, but still not bad except for the last day or two. We had five people on board, three adults and two children. A normal outing was producing 15 to 20 total fish and around 6-8 in slot along with a few right at it that we toss back to avoid issues. I caught one walleye over the slot at 22.5” & would’ve thought I’d caught a massive pike as hard as it fought, great fun.

I also caught a 31.5” northern pike while jigging for walleye, that was a crazy ride with the light tackle.

We only had a few smallies grab our hooks, but appears their presence is growing in our area, We ended up with everyone taking their limits home plus enough for a group fish fry, so still pretty good results considering.

The disappointing part of the fishing was the last day or two. We caught very few keepers or fish in general, It was really weird, the Lowrance was showing the water was full of many fish and not biting at all? We were using a mix of worms and leeches all on jigs. The last evening I rigged up a slip bobber set up with a baited single hook with a weight 12” above and was unsuccessful with it as well. It was my first time using a slip bobber and must say I can’t wait to try it again under better circumstances and way less water depth.

I’m going to guess that the hotter than normal weather had the water temperature warmer than normal, which had the fish deeper than normal. We found most of the fish between 24-30’ ftw, My recollection is we normally fish 18-24’ this time of year. This one spot we were in, the fish were streaming past on the fish finder & not one fish would bite? The water around this small shoal was 40 feet deep and the bottom appeared to be covered with fish. Very odd ending to our trip & disappointing for me, since the grandkids were along. I wanted very badly to finish with a bang, instead of a thud.

As some of you may know I purchased a different boat last fall, what a pleasure it was fishing out of the 1975 Pro V, we especially loved the additional space and the canopy. One misty cool morning we all sat under the canopy and enjoyed the rain & wind protection greatly, while catching some early morning eyes. Then there’s the Ulterra trolling motor….wow. I went from anchor puller man, to manual deployed trolling motor with spot lock, to now self deploy with spot lock. Gezz, not enough good to say about that, just loved it.

Since this was our first July trip in 3 years “thanks Covid” it was especially nice to return to Alwaki and all the familiar faces. It felt like home, T-Bone and his group “love you guys”, Tony from Tennessee & his group, Roy, Brian & Tina, it really felt good and really was great to be there. It makes me a bit emotional to realize that the Alwaki party is about over. I have discovered it too late in life. What a loss will be felt by many once it is broken up and dismantled. It could not be run much better, or in a better location. The loss to the general public having access to such a beautiful place is waning and in time, only those who can afford to own a piece of Kipawa will have access. We shouldn’t have sent all our children to college; we are now seeing the results. That sounded ranty, sorry.

One of the highlights of the trip was KFF member Ozzy and his awesome wife hosting a wonderful afternoon get together at his cabin on Hunters bay, Grilling, chilling, sipping beers and carrying on conversation and lots of good food. All great folks there, especially Ozzy’s wife who treated my grandsons like royalty, including sodas, playing many games and twizzlers. She even sent the kids home with a game and more candy. On the kids note, I really was glad to have my son in laws and their sons “my grandsons” along. I hope to make it annual event. I am uncertain if they will all want to come back every year, but I’m certain my grandsons will and that is all that really matters. They both had a great time, I wish the fishing would have been better for their sake, but they both did OK and my youngest grandson, age 5 actually had a day that he caught more fish than anyone else in the boat. LOL. He didn’t let us forget either! How many “keeps” do you have Papa? LOL

The difficult part now is trying to figure out what is next? With Alwaki more than likely not being an option, I must figure out my next game plan. I know there are many other lodges still available to choose from, but I have eight trips to this area and a lot of knowledge gained. I really hate to give that up as much as I hate giving up all of the people I have gotten to know over these few years. I’m certain I’ll figure it out, but the uncertainty is not my bag. I will feel much better once I have something secured.

The weather overall was not bad, the temps were comfortable for the most part, only a couple of rain events and manageable winds, which made it nice for the afternoon lull on the porch just sitting. One afternoon, I put together a fish fry for us and others. I thought of it as a good activity/experience for the kids. This was a first for me, since I’ve always seen deep frying as an unnecessary, cumbersome task, not to mention, I love my fish pan fried. We made homemade fries, hush puppies, walleye and shrimp. What a Great time and great food, the kids loved it, especially the fries. I’m Starting to come around to the whole process for camp, since everyone enjoyed it so.

I guess I have bored you all enough. If you made this far “thanks!” LOL . After reading Captain Crappies report, I felt motivated to write/type more. 

Walleye Rock!

Jig and drift

Outstanding report. These kids will never forget this opportunity and will want to keep going back. The pictures say it all, nothing but happy faces. Unfortunate about Alawaki but you will settle on another place and fall in love all over again.

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your great report with pictures Chris. Very nice to see your grandsons enjoying themselves so much. Also nice that you could hook up with fishing acquaintances like Ozzy and wife, T-Bone and others - makes for a very special trip. Thanks for sharing!

Jay

Captain Steve

Great read Hodgey!
Glad to hear you had a great time with your family!
I hope you have many more!
Captain Steve

TBIRD

Thanks for the Great Report & photos Hodgey! - The photos say it all - I've been to several Camps and Outposts over the years, including Alwaki and can understand how you'll miss yearly trips to Alwaki - I'm confident you and other regular Alwaki groups will find other Lodges/Camps - as you all know it's a Huge Fantastic Lake!!
Cheers Ray.

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

Thanks Hodgey....great report. And we did have a great time, though the fishing was on the tough side. Not sure I'll get a report out any time soon...really busy with work these days, but this report suffices to capture the wonderful time we had individually and collectively. And it's possible we bought all the Bleue in Temiscaming...but true to form, we drank it all by the time we left.  :o

We'll be on the lake somewhere next summer...not sure where...not sure when...but we'll be there. Can't wait.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

NortonJoe

Great report!  Look around out there, there are still plenty of places to fish in that beautiful Kipawa area.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Greg

Great report Hodgey, looks like the grandkids had a good time also!

I think we have to get you to write us all an instruction booklet on posting pictures! LOL

See you in 3 weeks!

Greg

Hodgey1

Quote from: Greg on August 13, 2022, 07:22:20 AM
I think we have to get you to write us all an instruction booklet on posting pictures! LOL
Thanks everyone for the kind trip report comments. Wish I was back there now.

We will need to touch base with Brent and see where he is at with enabling posting photos here. I use Imgur which makes me feel internet vulnerable each time I use it, not to mention the extra steps necessary to then use the photos here.
Walleye Rock!

CaptainCrappie

Wonderful report Hodgey!  Isn't it great whenever kids or grandkids get under that Kipawa spell?  They can't wait to go back! Just like the dads!

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

BH

Thanks for sharing Hodgey!  Your boat sounds really comfortable compared to some of the rentals I have used.  Thankfully my son was the anchor man!
Love fishing

Oarin

Thanks, Hodgey. It's really sad that Alwaki is going to close. I know many of our members have gone there for years and love it. Hopefully, if that happens you all can find a camp that meets your needs. From all the reports I've read Alwaki is a very special place.

Jow

Thanks for sharing!! Great times despite the slow-er bite! My son and I where there the same week, caught fish, just not a ton. We are going back end of Aug for one last trip for the year.

ziggy6

Great report... incorporating your grandsons must have been the best part.  Our group also got on the Alwaki train a bit late, sad to see it go.