When is to early for walleye?

Started by Magicmike, January 21, 2023, 02:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicmike

Planning a trip for week of May 27 just wondering if that is safe bet for walleye bite? Haven't been for many years in spring and remember was hit or miss around that time, sometimes didn't turn on till last couple days. Thanks

puckster_guy

Where  are you staying? Every section of the lake is different.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Magicmike

smitty55

Personally I wouldn't take the chance going that early. As you said it can be hit and miss depending on spring weather and water temps and chances are they will be in transition moving from spawning areas to their summer haunts. Plus you will be dealing with changing weather patterns that can make for a lousy vacation. For example here in the Ottawa area we've had frost in late May for the last three years in a row. If it was me I'd pick the full moon in the first week of July, weather should be far better and the bugs will have subsided enough to make the trip more enjoyable.
Cheers

T-Bone

MM...we'll see you the weekend of 5/26 up at Alwaki; and I'd say Smitty is right...wildly changing weather patterns and fish can be tough to find, but when you do find them the quality is impressive. That trip is more about "the adventure" of it all for us, and fishing is just part of the fun. You can see all four seasons in a single day! 
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

puckster_guy

I get most of my lakers in early spring. Trolling Williams wobblers close to shore.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

On point

Definitely hit or miss that early but Alwaki is a good location. The further upstream the better, like toward Butney or Mcglauchlin or even Redpine. Sometimes the Hunters' narrows are good in the spring currents.
FYI Alwaki is for sale in 2 or 3 pieces

knuckles

Hey folks.
Pretty sure i may be up at camp that same weekend as t-bone.
Hope to see some of you out and about.
Super excited to get up to the place once again.
Have a few projects to do....
Here's to an early ice out.

As for the fishing/bugs/weather...
Has it ever really stopped any of us? unless the weather is completely unsafe.
The time on the lake is well spent regardless.
But if you do not like the possibility of inclement  weather or potential blackflies etc late may early june may not be ideal.

Cheers to you all

Kyle Skelding

We've found the size is better early in the season but numbers are down. A lot of it is just getting lucky with weather.  Around Alwaki there is always one or two spots that produce, it's just a matter of finding them on any given week.

Kill Switch

Gonna try Cedar Valley Lodge May  27 - 31.  One year the fishing was great early on, others have been tough. Tributaries seem to be best.