News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Taggart Bay Lodge Outpost

Started by Oarin, July 26, 2014, 01:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oarin

Wow, another GREAT week at the TBL outpost cabin! Jon and I  caught lots fish most days and other than Monday only fished in the PM. Tuesday and Wednesday were very windy- 20-30 mph gusts. We didn't chance crossing Moose or Queen's Bay on Tue. and spent some time on our end of the bay looking for new spots, found a few too. We marked tons of fish but most weren't interested. Wednesday AM I got up early (for me) 6:00 but there weather was cold and damp, so I went back to bed, never woke up Jon. In the PM we headed down toward the Narrows to try down there. Still windy and we needed 2 anchors to hold us. That was one of the best days of fishing I've ever had. We caught one after another, had 2 doubles, we were soon at our limit  and  throwing back 17-18 inchers. By 8:00 they just turned off so we decided to head back down towards the outpost and give our new spots a try. I'm glad we did! Jon got 4 huge bass- 19.5, 18, 17, and 16.5 and I landed 2 nice eyes, which got to fight an other day. Thursday we slept in again and in the early PM spent time looking for beaver sticks and exploring new areas. We found an old moose trail with fresh hoof prints and moose scat, so we got the H out of there. That night we tried our new spots, caught a few and called it a night.

Most fish, bass included, were caught on pink jigs with leeches. The walleyes were in 23-17 feet of water and the bass much shallower.

There were 100's of minnows around the shore line.

The leeches from the Temiscaming sports store were very good.

Rambler and Ellen were there and he caught a beauty, wait for his report and Video.

We got to meet up with 600 Miles North at the little Laniel store! Nice family. His son was killing the eyes.

Mosquitoes were bad, Thermacells worked great. Had 1 nice camp fire.

The eagles were still there as well as our resident beaver.

Like I said earlier, it was a great week I got to spend with my kid! We ate like Kings, the cabin is awesome, the boat and motor too. This year we opted to get the Minn-Kota trolling motor as a back up unit. (we're 6 miles from the main camp). We didn't troll, but used it to get out snags and to sneak up on our spots. It works great and I'll probably get it next year too.

The game cops were there earlier this year and caught a guy with bass out of season and illegal bait. They even checked his cabin. Big fine. Stupid!!

27 more days until Capt. Guy and I head back to TBL for our 16th year there. I can't wait!!  I'll try to post pictures on the Facebook friends of Kipawa site and Jon said he'll post on the Kipawa Forum site.  Oarin.

Jay Thomas

Hi Gary:

Glad to read that you had such a great trip :) Looking forward to visiting with you and Mark on Friday 22 Aug. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Jay

600 miles north

Good to have finally met up with you Gary! I wish I would have sat down and had a couple beers with you and had a chance to chat more. We were on a mission to get back to camp before the storm hit, and our way back is by boat. The kids wanted to see the spillway and how much water was pouring out of it before hopping back in the boat. The week always goes way too fast.

I hope to get a report in soon. My daughter has a volleyball tourney today and we have yard work and unpacking to do. What a windy week though! We did well fishing, and like Gary said... Tyler easily out fished us this year... even when all 6 of us were jigging out of the same boat! The others weren't so amused at times by that! LOL

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

Oarin

Thanks Jay, We'll see you and the crew soon.

Brad, those are NICE fish! I remember not so long ago you saying that you were a novice at fishing. Looks like that has changed and you passed it on to your son. Jon out fished me too!!! Now to out fish Capt. Guy!!!!!!!!  Gary.

RHYBAK

Way to go Oarin.
Thanks for sharing your report.
Good to hear you did well.

Any pictures?
We like pictures. ;D ;D ;D
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Oarin

Hi RHYBAK. Thanks, we had a great time! I posted some pictures on the Kipawa Facebook Site, Jon said he would try to post more on this site. I hope he does. He is much better than I at photography. There should be a bunch more reports rolling in soon, as well as Rambler's and Ellen's video. Oarin.

rambler

Hey Gary, Great to see you and John again this year. I think you left at the right time cause the weather went to heck after you left. I'll try to get our trip dvd out to you before you and Mark leave.

john c

Hi Gary

Good to hear you had a great trip. Sounds like a fun trip.

John
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.