Smith Bay Outfitter Trip July 13-19

Started by T, July 27, 2014, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T

Had another great trip with Grant & Lyn.  My son usually goes with me, but he had to work this year.  So I took a fishing a buddy along.  He had never been to Kipawa before and didn't know what to expect.  Together we caught over 250 walleye, 21 pike, 8 bass and 1 laker.   Our biggest fish were: walleye 22", Pike 42", bass 19" and the laker was 23".  The weather wasn't the greatest for relaxing but it turned the fish on.  The one day it poured and blew 25 mph from 8am until 6 pm.  We got out for a little over 2 hours and caught 62 walleye.  Worms seemed to work better than leeches.  Hot n Tots in silver/black and gray scale worked throughout the day.
Grant & Lyn were great hosts and run a great camp.  I can't wait to go back next year.  By the way, my buddy is hooked for life!

Bucktail

T, the two of you had a great trip can see why your fishing partner is hooked. A good time is guaranteed with Grant and Lyn.

Bucktail

Jay Thomas

Hi T:

Thanks for your report. I'd appreciate learning about the size of 250 walleye you caught. Specifically, were the majority of walleye caught 15 inches or less in length or 15 inches plus? As well, what was your most productive methodology and what was your most productive depth? Did you stay at their main camp or at their outpost cabin? Thanks in advance.

Jay

T

Hi Jay,
  We stay at the main camp.  I do the majority of my fishing in Chemagon bay by the 2nd island in 17-20' of water.  If the wind is blowing out of the North, the fishing is hot. The fish usually run a little bigger there.  We caught a lot of fish in smith bay in 8-14' but they ran a little smaller.  Just North of Smith Bay is an island with a stone pile about 50 yds off the North side.  I call the rock pile Gull Island.  There is always a sea gull sitting on it.  We fished the lake side in 24' of water.  They averaged about 15".  Our biggest fish were caught around what I call Grant's Island.  It is located across the lake from the camp.  Grant can point you in the right direction.
  Our best method was trolling worm harnesses and dragging 1/8 oz jigs with a night crawler across the bottom.  Jigging and drop shotting worked if you had a good wind.  We also trolled hot n tots in calmer winds along rock ledges and did well.  Hoped this helps.

T

Jay Thomas

Thanks T. Your response provided exactly the kind of information I was after. I was wondering whether or not the walleye had moved onto the under water humps (like the one you mention on the lake side of Gull Island) out in Hay Bay. Our group departs for Club Trout lake (about 40 miles north east of Smith Bay Camp) on 15 Aug. Thanks again.

Jay