A few questions

Started by rambler, August 08, 2014, 02:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambler

Hi All, Ellen and I are kicking around the idea of getting a boat to take to Kipawa and for use on the bigger lakes around home. We used to own a small 14' aluminum for electric only lakes here in Pa. Not sure of a make, model, motor hp, etc. We could use some advise from you boat owners on what works for you. We're thinking of something like a walk through, deep or modified v with at least 50 hp. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Rich

Dog

Rich
Without knowing your budget or preference (wood, aluminum, fiberglass) or type (used vs new) it's kinda hard to recommend something for you to consider... I love the Gieslers but that's just me. They have several models which can accommodate a larger hp motor if you desire it. IF used is your preference I'd keep a close eye on craigslist as boating season ends and winter approaches...
~Nate
One more cast...

RHYBAK

I agree with Dog.

It's hard to recommend a boat to anybody.
Just make sure you don't buy it without Ellen trying it out.
The wifes comfort in the boat is very important.
I will recommend you stick with Merc or Yamaha as your engine.
The boat,Can't help you.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jay Thomas

Hi Rich:

Over the years, I have read many threads on OntarioFishingCommunity.com regarding buying boats. So this morning I did a search on Buying new boat and there are over 300 threads regarding buying new boat. Perhaps perusing the recent threads could assist - see http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Jay

rambler

Actually Ellen's "comfort" is a big part of this venture. The high winds, rain and choppy water kept Ellen in the camp alot of the time. She has lower back pain so the constant smacking into the white caps is a big no no for her. She's also is not comfortable crossing the larger parts of the lake in bad weather in a smaller camp boat. I quess we're looking something thats larger, more comfortable and roomy and gets around the lake a little quicker. (We like to explore). I started the thread just to get some ideas and examples on where to start.
Thanks for the feedback.

RHYBAK

O.K. Then.
Start with a Lund and go down from there.
The bigger lunds have the nice spring actuated chairs to take up the white cap pounding.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

puckster_guy

I'm driving a 12 yr. old 17.5 foot crestliner "fishhawk" with a 90hp Suzuki(by the way the best motor I've ever had It'll troll all day 2mph and burn little gas, unless you gun it) drove it in extreme conditions on Georgian Bay 6-7 foot waves. Kinda scarey but it handled the rough water beutifully. It still likes a good chop for better performance. The hull is amazing but I wasn't too happy with the way it was screwed together. I've had to replace many of the bolts and screws holding it together with better quality hardware. Maybe they consider that "maintanance". For Hull performance, More then happy. Qualitywise? not so sure. Just my two cents worth. Take with as many grains of salt as you wish.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Dog

Rich,

no idea from here man. just throwing something out there... how about a boston whaler setup?... fiberglass, \\decent in rough water. just an idea... not a typical kipawa boat but with the right motor they can get up and go (as with any flotation device). the open floor plan would allow customization for seating and fishing in all kinds of conditions for both you and ellen...good luck in your search.

-Nate
One more cast...

rambler

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Dog

Quote from: rambler on August 12, 2014, 05:12:38 PM
Thanks for all the ideas guys!

also a decent place to look are marinas in the spring time if you're looking for a used boat... lots of people trade-in in the spring and you can usually get a decent deal if the dealer doesn't have to sit on it real long.... just a thought.
One more cast...

rambler

Yea, a used boat is kinda what we're after. Got a few leads, gonna do a look see today.

Dog

Quote from: rambler on August 16, 2014, 07:46:39 AM
Yea, a used boat is kinda what we're after. Got a few leads, gonna do a look see today.

get'er done!
One more cast...

Oarin

Rich, a bigger, faster boat for you and Ellen would be unfair to the fish population of  Kipawa!

rambler

Just got back from the Lake Raystown area looking at boats. Didn't see any used boats that fit our needs but Ellen and I both like the new Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport. Any one have any reviews or opinions.

Dog

@rambler

That looks like a sweet boat! I've never been in one or no of anyone who has one though...

I'm curious how much one of those goes for new?... ballpark'ish

Only asking because it seems like you could get  a lot more boat (and fully customized to your specs, short deck, full floors etc...) for less (weight, draft, and money) by going with a Giesler like their kipawa or georgian bay models... Gerry could do an identical floor layout as the alumacraft as well...  The Georgian bay model weighs (500) half the alumacraft (1000)... drop on a 40-50 hp 4 stroke on it and it'd slice through the water like butter! Before you say that's not enough motor... consider this.. Liberty Call fully rigged out in the water (trolling motor, 2-group 27 batteries, two guys and gear, outboard motor etc..) weighs 1250 lbs. a 20hp Tohatsu 4 stroke slices it through the water to a top speed of 22.7 mph. I mean.. unless you're after a scarab/ speed boat, if you double the weight of the boat, a 40-50hp boat would easily, make the georgian bay model go 20+ mph, probably 25 mph.

I know I know... maintenance of a cedar strip... that's what everyone says, well, there is none if you get the entire exterior clear fiberglassed (then no exterior maintenance), just hose out the interior and you're done.

At the end of the day, if you want a turnkey boat then a cedar strip is not for you most likely (they're not for everyone I realize this...)... I rather enjoyed planning the interior for my dad and the customization freedom Gerry allows is great.... motor selection freedom was something I thought of as a plus, not a drawback as I wasn't looking for a package deal though.

good luck sir!
One more cast...