Taggart Bay lodge report August 16-30 2014

Started by Kathy E, August 31, 2014, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathy E

My husband and I were very fortunate to spend 2 consecutive weeks at Taggart Bay lodge this year.    I really believe that weather is everything when you are fishing for walleyes.    The first week we had many days of either rain or overcast skies, temps mostly in the 60's but the fishing was great.    We had 72 walleyes, 13 bass and 4 northerns, 1 bullhead our first week.   Biggest walleye; 21", bass; 18", Northern; 30".    We saw the eagle many times, saw some river otters and even got to hear the wolves howl a couple of nights (that was so eerie!)   
The second week was very weird, it was like the fish went on vacation!  The sun came out a few days and things warmed up, then a cold front with crazy winds moved in, then we had a couple of mornings with lots of fog.    My husband caught a nice 32" and a 37 1/2" Northern in Wolf bay.   I caught a 30" northern, but not in the usual way you would catch one; I was reeling in a small walleye when all of a sudden something slammed into my pole, it was a northern that was attached to the walleye that was on my pole!  I have heard of this happening, but had never seen it before.   How exciting that was!  My husband netted both fish, but as he put the net in the bottom of the boat, the walleye flew out of the net.   I was able to measure and snap a photo of the northern before we released him.
Our total for the second week was: 50 walleye, 13 bass, 4 northern.   Biggest walleye; 19 1/2" and was the prettiest shade of blue!, bass; 17", Northern; 37 1/2".
We got to see Captain Guy and Oarin again this year and met a couple of nice folks from Pennsylvania, all who will return for the same week next year.
When we go to Kipawa, it's not just about catching as many fish as you can, its about relaxing, getting away from our jobs, enjoying the scenery, taking great naps, meeting new friends and having a couple of fish fries too!   We love staying at Taggart Bay lodge, Yves, Lise, Tom and Linda are wonderful.   The cabins are so beautiful and you really do get a lot for your money there.   We have already started the count down for next year!

john c

Sounds like a nice long trip to enjoy the Kipawa area.  The difference in weather didn't make as big of a change in fish numbers as I would of thought.  I have never done 2 weeks together but have gone two trips in a summer several times, and a 10 day a couple years.  Can't ever seem to get enough time up there.  Nice report and hope you enjoyed it as much as the report indicates.

John
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

600 miles north

Kathy it had to be great to know that you had two weeks to spend on Kipawa! I have always wanted to have a northern come grab a walleye when reeling one in, that had to be an exciting moment. I have yet to see an eagle on the lake, we saw a nest high up in a tree, but the young ones that were there the previous week had already left the nest. Thanks for the report and good to hear it sounds like a great time was had...

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

CaptainCrappie

Kathy, I have experienced that Pike grab twice in my life, once in Smith Bay at Kipawa (monster pike and walleye, pike hit it sideways) and once locally with a musky and saugeye, the musky engulfed it from behind.  Unable to land either one. The pike snapped my 8 lb. test fluorocarbon after he realized that I was slowly trying to reel him, lost the walleye too,  and the musky finally let go of the shredded saugeye, which I landed. What a thrill it is when it happens!  Enjoyed your post.

C.C. 
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

rambler

Hi Kathy, Sounds like you had a great trip. TBL is a beutiful place. Your lucky................in all our trips we've never heard the wolves. That must have been awesome. Now the long wait begins for next years trip. Bummer.
Thanks for the report.

Oarin

Hi Kathy and Mike, nice report! It was great seeing you guys up at TBL again. You're right about that weather front shutting down the bite. We marked scads of fish, but very few takers. It was tougher than usual, but Capt. Guy and I had 3 walleye dinners. He'll fill in the details in his report. Oarin.

johnny walleye

Dog

thanks fr sharing your experience and I've added your report to the master index
One more cast...