September long weekend

Started by puckster_guy, September 15, 2014, 08:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puckster_guy

We all met in Barrie @7am. Six of us, all guys I work and play hockey with (1 retired). We have a six team houseleague at work. In the old airplane factory. A busy place. At hockey we get fined (12 beer) for talking shop at work, so enuff about that lol. We stopped for groceries and gas then hit the black top arriving at camp at about 1:30.

Left to right:Ben, Eric, Nick, Joe and Bert.
We didn't fish much that night. Got settled in lit the BBQ cooked pork chops and fried potatoes and onions and started emptying the coolers of beer. Got up early on sat. Me Greg(not in group shot) and Nick went for a morning troll and jigging trip. Trolling wasn't working so we tried Jigging off a point. 4 good walleye in about an hour and the fishing dried up again.
Greg with a nice wally   
and the rest 
They became a great shore lunch 

That evening Eric,,Ben and Bert scratched out a couple more walleye.
Monday most of us were working around the camp while the others took turns going fishing. We cut up a bunch of trees taken down in the last year including a couple taken down in the way of construction. Moved a large pile of gravel and we moved all the insulation from under the camp into the loft. breaking my pinky in the process.
During an early morning fishing trip. nick showed me how to jig for lakers using cleos. We were Marking them on the bottom from 55-75 feet down. It's an ice fishing technique that worked well. Both Greg and Nick caught 5 pounders 
Monday night we did our annual bonfire

Teusday noon we headed home feeling good for some good times. Tally was about 15 walleye, a couple of pike and lakers. Tons of beer, a bottle of rye, mcraken, and vodka. There were no survivors there. lol.

P.S. The contractors are done!! I got pretty much what I wanted. A shell, windows and doors in. A wood stove and a working toilette. I gotta finish the insulation, plumbing and wiring. Then cover the walls and floor. I figure a year or two to complete it all. I couldn't be happier. More pictures of the interior and otherwise here: http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/puckster_guy/library/Kipawa%202014?sort=2&page=5

This won't be the last report as I intend to be up there every other weekend till the snow makes the roads too difficult, Both lots of work and fishing to do. Cheers folks :)
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

johnny walleye

great long week end , and many more to come

Dog

hey joe, great pics and seeing those Canadian eye's never gets old from this landlocked state of PA!
Can't wait to see more as you make more trips this fall.. the cabin is really coming along, really looks like paradise!

Added a link to this in the master trip report index called "Hodge Podge Lodge Running Report" at the bottom
One more cast...

john c

Sounds like some work got done, some fish got caught, and some beer got drank-----it doesn't get much better than that.  The cabin looks like its coming along great almost ready for cold weather.  Keep the posts coming.

John
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

puckster_guy

Quote from: john c on September 16, 2014, 07:03:33 PM
Sounds like some work got done, some fish got caught, and some beer got drank-----it doesn't get much better than that.  The cabin looks like its coming along great almost ready for cold weather.  Keep the posts coming.

John

That's about it John. gonna have as much fun as I can with the time I have left. Growing up was the worst mistake I ever made lol ;) :)

john c

I'm older than you and I have not grown up yet, AND I ain't gonna either.

John
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

wvmedic

Looks like a slice of Heaven.

Thanks for the post and pictures.

Jeff

SgtCrabby

Your 'slice of heaven' there at the Hodge Podge Lodge is looking even better with each new update.  It's coming along nicely.

You broke your pinky?  That had to hurt.

Jay Thomas

Thanks for sharing Joe! I'm very envious of your new home on Lac Kipawa.

Jay

rambler

puckster_guy