mobile navionics app

Started by wdhill22, June 13, 2016, 02:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdhill22

Can anyone tell me which is the best navionics app to put on smart phone for Lake Kipawa

RHYBAK

this isn't a navigation app , but it will load onto your smart phone and it will give you rough idea where you are

https://webapp.navionics.com/#@11&key=quj%7DG~oaaN
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

adempsey

I use the Navionics Boating App on my Android device.   I think it's the only lake map app, but I could be wrong.   You have the option to subscribe to Navionics+ for the Sonarcharts as well.   I only use the normal version which I paid a one time fee of $15 (?) for.

SgtCrabby

I've looked at that, it looks good.
But so far, I've resisted buying it.  They do have a free trial version for a short time which might be good for a trip to kipawa.
If you use it, let us know how well it works please.

RHYBAK

O.K.
Here is a question .
If I download it onto my i-pad...do I need Data for the app to work?

hard to get any data or phone service on the lake!!!!!

adempsey

You need GPS or cell service to get your actual location.   You can use the app to look at maps anytime though, BUT I think you have to download the maps first - do this at home ahead of time.    You might need data for the extra paid features.

I've used it once in the Kawarthas.  It worked.  I prefer my handheld GPS though.  My phone battery won't last very long with GPS on.

puckster_guy

Quote from: RHYBAK on June 14, 2016, 07:31:55 AM
O.K.
Here is a question .
If I download it onto my i-pad...do I need Data for the app to work?

hard to get any data or phone service on the lake!!!!!

It'll work if you have the maps and/app saved to your I-pad. I have a topo map nav app where i save the individual maps to my phone. It works fine around camp where I have no cell phone access. Bring a 12v charger that you can keep the unit charged with. I have a 12v outlet in my boat so it's always plugged in. These apps kill batteries quick if it's always on.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

RHYBAK

thanks

I guess the true test will come next week