The official what I did today that was fishing related thread...

Started by Dog, October 08, 2014, 10:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLG

Made a trip to Cabelas and bought my wife and Grandson a new spin outfit and restocked the jig box. We will be taking our  Grandson and his Dad to Kipawa for first time this year and looking forward to 10 June departure for the North!

SgtCrabby

Took my boat to a lake about 60 mile's away (I think that's about 100 km) for some crappie fishing.  I was close to being run off the water by lots of big ski boats with way to many horses on their rear ends, and alcohol in the operators.   Time to go somewhere else for little me ...

I like redneck canoe racks, I used to have them too;  before i gave my canoe away to a daughter.   

Fort Wisers

Took the Swift Kip canoe for a couple of short trips this weekend past. Sunday night my wife and I had a beer while looking at our next potential trip.
Might try to circle Turtle Island one weekend this summer, camp at the same beach we hit last year.
Come down Chenal Belanger and back up Passe Grant.
We will see.....fun to prep....
Anybody know anything about the little lake "in" turtle island?

Fort Wisers

Sold the boat.....yes this may seem to be counter to "fishing related" but there's a longer term plan.
We're currently planning on starting to build a small cabin on some land we own north of Mattawa (hoping to start August time-frame).
This will become our base camp for fishing / hunting. We currently have the canoes that we can easily slap on the roof of the truck or rhino and hit back lakes and narrower sections of Kipawa that don't get hit with 4-5 foot swells in a storm.
In a few years (after the cabin is a bit built up) we'll look at purchasing a smaller boat then we had (yet not too small, maybe 16'-18' alum) that we can keep at the base camp.
The idea is a smaller boat should be more practical to store at camp during summer months and much easier to bring into back lakes as well as hit some more remote sections of Kipawa.

The big boat was fun and all in all treated us well, she will be missed.
But we think in the interest of getting back to the roots (so to speak), time to build up a new base camp and then a boat geared a little more toward fishing is what our family needs in the long run.

puckster_guy

Hey Fort. I was just looking up the area on Google Earth. Looks like a nice central location for all kinds of northern out door activity. There's great fishing in the Ottawa R. Been on it many time.A favorite spot was where the Beaushene River dumps into the Ottawa. But anywhere where a river enters in is good. Lots of structure. GL and have fun. It's gonna be an adventure to get it all set up. I'm doing that now LOL. My place is taking all my time and money, and I'm quite gad to do it.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

SgtCrabby

Fort, sounds like you have a good workable plan.

Wish I could do something like that, but not from this distance.

Fort Wisers

@puckster_guy : yeah we built a small camp many years ago so we're used to the "adventure" that it can be LOL.
However we were all much younger then with no kids, so this shall be a new set of interesting challenges LOL
Its been interesting watching your progress, you're doing a great job and finding a balance between work mixed with a bit of downtime.
Its important because the endless building can turn a person sour if they don't take the time to enjoy now and then!
It's fun to see your dream become reality though eh?

@SgtCrabby : Totally understand the distance thing. We had a place on Kipawa and it was about 7 hours door to door from our home.
And even that we found too far, especially when the kids were really young. Part of why we selected this Mattawa area was a closer proximity to
home. Eventually we plan on retiring on this land and figure we want something that will be fun for now as well as practical when we're in our 70s-80s.

So we'll see......

Back to the topic of the thread, when the girls returned home from school yesterday we ran into town and hit our local Canadian Tire which has a pretty decent hunting and fishing section.
They got a couple of lures each and then spent the rest of the evening "organizing the tackle boxes" in prep for this new season! Cute to watch.....

JigginFool

So...what do you do on your wedding anniversary??  Go fishing of course  ;)!  Today was our 23rd wedding anniversary so we decided to get the boat on the water for the first time this year so we took a trip down to Chautauqua lake.  Wind was wiping pretty good so we tucked into a bay to get out of it as good as we could since there were 2-3 waves in the main body of water.  Had to be the best perch fishing I ever experience down there, action was non-stop and the largest perch were a bit over 11 inches.  We kept 43 which cleaned up to 5 pounds of filets.

Oarin

Nice, they're one of the best tasting fish. I got them ice fishing on the NYS Finger Lakes in my younger days.

SgtCrabby

Man, I would love to experience perch like that.
But they are not anywhere near me.  Enjoy those and let me know how good they are, so I can dream ::)