What Are You Looking For In This New Board?

Started by Administrator, May 01, 2014, 01:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Administrator

I am going to add a couple polls to see what you people would like in this new board. All ideas will be considered. With some ideas come more costs and currently that may be a determining factor. Although long term it may not be quite the issue. I welcome your ideas.

Jay Thomas

Private messaging and timely access to the board's administrator are two primary features I want to see in any fishing message board. You're two for two and off to a great start.

Jay

Dog

I'd like to see it get organized into discussions categories.... a forum with 5000 threads in succession isn't really that user friendly (especially since forum search function don't really work that well). I think having categories would help people find what they were looking for faster and makes it more user friendly.

For example:
Fishing Discussion (would have all the threads related to fishing the kipawa region (time of year, tactics, weather/ ice out predicitons etc...))

Boat Discussion (would have all the threads related to boats, trailering, motors  discussion etc...)

Trip Reports  (would have all the threads (including the master trip report index sticky in this folder)

Outfitter Discussion (discussion about outfitters in the region, the outfitter map sticky could go in here, and who knows maybe the outfitters could advertise in this section or set up their own official topic/thread to promote their outfitter and have a direct interaction with their customer base)

just my $02 and I also agree with Jay, great job so far!
One more cast...

Administrator

Quote from: Dog on May 01, 2014, 02:50:38 PM
I'd like to see it get organized into discussions categories.... a forum with 5000 threads in succession isn't really that user friendly (especially since forum search function don't really work that well). I think having categories would help people find what they were looking for faster and makes it more user friendly.

For example:
Fishing Discussion (would have all the threads related to fishing the kipawa region (time of year, tactics, weather/ ice out predicitons etc...))

Boat Discussion (would have all the threads related to boats, trailering, motors  discussion etc...)

Trip Reports  (would have all the threads (including the master trip report index sticky in this folder)

Outfitter Discussion (discussion about outfitters in the region, the outfitter map sticky could go in here, and who knows maybe the outfitters could advertise in this section or set up their own official topic/thread to promote their outfitter and have a direct interaction with their customer base)

just my $02 and I also agree with Jay, great job so far!

If I could give that a Facebook like, I would. I think that is a great idea. Rhybak, I see from the other thread you agree. Just wondering what some of the rest of you think?

puckster_guy

I think Dog pretty much has it covered, maybe a buy and sell folder as well. You could make the avatars section larger, some of the photos look small and hard to see. O/w you've done a great job setting this up. I like the look and feel of it.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

600 miles north

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that hasn't been covered above. I like Dogs ideas a lot, and couldn't agree more with what Jay had to say. This boards only a few days old and it is definitely headed in the right direction.

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

600 miles north

Actually I did think of something... a weather link. Maybe even a link to current water levels on the lake. Many of the links in the information repository no longer work or exist on the other site. Come to think about it, why dont you get a live streaming web cam of the lake up and running!  ;) :) Now that would be really cool!  :) ;D

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

puckster_guy

how about a live chat section? Anybody on line can type to one another.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Dog

Brad and Joe I love those ideas! I always wondered what Smith Pass Outpost looked like in the dead of winter with a strong north wind! We kid a lot about what it would be like to winter over there... haha. just brutal I bet. I also like the idea of a classified folder to buy and sell stuff (fishing related or not). Heck, I have a basement full of stuff I'd be willing to give away for free if someone want to pay for shipping.

I did think of two other ideas that may would be nice, wishlist type stuff....

#1) Is there a way to make the forum compatible with the tapatalk app? It's real nice to be able to post from your smartphone when on the go. I'd love to share pics of catches real time when out in the canoe...

#2) Create a facebook page for the forum. If for no other reason to link to/ like the outfitter facebook pages to raise awareness of the forum. Social media can do a lot of things including bring in funding to add forum enhancements that would otherwise cost our admin money to add... I would not be opposed one bit to outfitters or fishing related advertisements on the forum if it meant getting our wishlist items (live chatting, shoutouts within posts @puckster_guy @600 miles north, a like button next to posts, amongst other items)... these little items make a forum more interactive and a better overall user experience in my eyes. Although it's hard to beat the support and attention to detail the admin has done so far. Top notch for sure!
One more cast...

SgtCrabby

Anything I would like to see has already been mentioned above.  And as Jay mentioned; You are off to a great start, Thanks!

Bucktail

Remember, the name of this site is Kipawa fishing forum. Lets not get to carried away.
     Bucktail

johnny walleye

great start no trouble with  uploading pics