Introductions

Started by Nancy, April 26, 2014, 10:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmdr. Bluegill

I was named Commander Bluegill by Captain Crappie's wife because she thought he needed supervision and she figured a commander outranked a captain.  So...

I am a 63 yr. old retiree who has loved to fish since the first time I picked up a rod & reel.  Fishing is the second greatest joy in my life.  The first is my deceased wife, Diane, who I lost 2 yrs. ago after 39 yrs., 7 months, 2 weeks and 4 days of marriage and an 8 yr. battle with cancer.  Caring for her was the only thing that could keep me away from Kipawa and I have missed 4 of the 18 years we planned our trips as a result. 

Diane always wanted to spend her winters in Florida so I am blessed to find myself with a home in Florida as well as Ohio.  In my winters yellow tail snapper become my walleye and barracuda become my northern pike because I am blessed to have a friend with a big boat who lives in the Keys and loves to fish.  I also surf fish in Canaveral national Seashore and chase crappies in Lake Harney.  I don't have to shovel anything in the winter and really don't give a crap when the ice is off  ;)  I stay in Florida until the asparagus begins to sprout in the garden and my Ohio neighbors start to complain about the uncut grass in my yard  ::)

I have three lovely daughters and four grandchildren.  All of them have fished with the Captain and I over the years.  I have had more adventures and misadventures (on the water and on land) with the Captain than I can ever hope to remember.  We still have fun creating new memories and then remembering (or misremembering) them at our leisure.  Our wives always wondered when we were going to grow up and we still don't have an answer ;D ;D ;D  We never had the heart to tell them we made a mutual promise never to grow up!!

As my grandchildren like to say, it's all good!

Commander Bluegill 
I don't know how to act my age - I have never been this old before!

CaptainCrappie

See what I deal with here on a daily basis?  Any Navy guy knows that a Captain out ranks a Commander every day of the week and twice on Sundays!

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

puckster_guy

hi Guys. I'm a 57 yr old lunatic reliving my childhood ever since the kids moved out a couple of yrs ago. Even let my hair grow out past my shoulders just on a whim. Wasn't even this long in high school. :) I have 3 kids 2 girls 28 and 25 and a son 23. One of my girls graduated with a masters degree with honors and the other girl is working on a masters course in her field on a part time basis while working full time to boot. My son is working on getting into a building trade(apprenticeship). the old man is working building aircraft in Toronto hoping to retire at 62.
the puckster_guy name comes from hockey obviously. In winter I play 2 nights a week and on monday nights in summer. It won't get rid of a beer belly (nevermind the two-four in the dressing room ;) ) but it keeps me in good shape and it's a lot of fun.
I too spent most of my life fishing. been all over Ontario and a few of the back lakes around Kipawa. I kept my boat on georgian bay near the midland area for 15 yrs till i got my place on Kipawa about 3 yrs ago. Now I don't fish anywhere else. I haven't renewed my ontario licence since then.
other things i do for fun? music, I have a large album(vinyl) and tons of CD's. I saw a lot of the major bands in the 70's (floyd, clapton santana, elp etc.) still try to catch a good bar band or the occasional concert. I read some, love to debate (i'm sure you've noticed lol) That's me in a nutshell

Joe
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

fishtildark

Good morning ,
I was a member of Kipawa.net since 2009 and like everywhere else, change is inevitable.I live on a lake near Mercer pa . and probably less than 25 miles from our new administrator(thanks to her by the way). Work in a local bank in the wealth management division. NO the mortgage mess wasn't my fault  as I never took a loan app in 38 years. Staring the big 60 in the face this year but don't feel a day over 59. Have a son and a daughter and two grandchildren and the 6 year old just caught his first trout a couple of weeks ago at the camp near Westline pa. Divorced for about 5 years and my girlfriend and I had 35 years between dates.
Started coming to Canada on family vacations in the 60s as dad hauled us to the French River, Lake Nipissing and Pigeon Lake in the Kawarthas. After marriage and kids I didn't make it back til  the late 80s when my buddy one day asked if I would like to go on a fly in to Bush Country .My Ex said I should go as it is that "once in a lifetime" trip.. It has since been referred to as the annual once in a lifetime trip as I have been going there for the past 25 years , sometimes twice a year and missing one. Over the years the group has changed from 4 to 6 to 12 to most recently two of us . A few including my dad are no longer with us but I was able to reintroduce him to the Canadian fishing and he caught a 11.5 lb walleye on his 75th birthday. My son went for several years starting at age 9 and hopefully will go back again .
Obviously I love the remote fishing and Bush country camp but sure it is not that different from Kipawa. There are certain things that stick from many trips but in addition to dads walleye, my sons 16 lb pike ,seeing the northern lights, the plane trips in the early years, the first drive in when dad thought we were lost and would never get to fish . one of the biggest thrills is introducing new people to the paradise. Looking forward to another trip on June 7. Thanks and look forward to communicating with you all.
Sam
So many lures and so little time.

jackalofnar

Good day,

As a kid, I always loved fishing and have fond memories of sneaking into the farmer's bass hole early on Sunday mornings  :-X and catching pike at the dam not far from where I grew up (Heidelberg, ON).  While attending university in St. Catharines for a Physical Geography, I met my wife and we started along our journey.  She was wonderful, but then I found out her parents owned lake front on Baptiste Lake, ON, her father enjoyed a beer occasionally and loved to fish, and was a fisheries biologist.  Soon after, we were married (my wife and I that is...).  My father-in-law has been travelling to Bush Country Camp for about 20 years.  He met the previous owner through the curling club in Bancroft.  It took a few years, but soon after I married his daughter, he decided I was 'ready'.  I also had a RAM Quad Cab that could haul his gear in a bit easier than his Astro van...:)  That was 8 years ago now and it has been heaven every June since.

Closer to home my wife and I have two great kids who enjoy fishing alot.  My son (almost 9), and my daughter (6) have both spent alot time in the boat with me.  Last summer the whole family took a trip to BCC (trip report on the other forum).  We all enjoy the outdoors and spend time camping in the Provinicial Parks each year.

This year I turn 40 just before heading into camp on June 7th.  It has been a busy year at work as a lead software developer.  Looking forward to taking a week off out of cell phone range...

Kirk

SnodT2120

Hello All! I'm 24 years old. I live near Parkersburg, WV. I am a teacher who teaches Social Studies, specifically WV History. I am not married, but will be this upcoming October.

I have been going to Canada to fish since 2004. This will make my 8th trip this year, missing 2 years due to being in school. Last year we traveled to Lake Ogascanan, and we will be returning there again this June. Before Ogascanan, we fished with Air Ivanhoe in Foleyet, Ontario for several years, fishing 3 years at Biggs Lake, 3 years at Schewbic Lake, and 1 years at Bonar Lake. Before Air Ivanhoe, we traveled with their brother in Chapleau, Ontario and fished the same Bonar lake for 2 years.

I love fishing. When not in Canada, I like to go to a local pay pond to catfish! Last year, I fished in an hourly tournament where I caught a small 10lb. catfish. I won the hourly tournament and found myself in the tournament of champions in October. That day, I went 5 hours early to get the spot I wanted to get. I ended up catching a 12lb and 8lb, fish with an hour to go in the tournament. I was behind by about 16 pounds, when I landed a huge 37lb. 7oz. catfish. I won the tournament with about 57 lbs. of catfish. I earned a new combo rod and reel, a trophy, and $280 in cash!

Glad to have this board. I check it about 2-3 times a day! Hope to learn more about the Kipawa area through this board! Take care and God Bless you all!

Oarin

I'm 66, taught 6th grade here in upstate NY for 36 years and have been retired for 6 years.  My wife( an innie, not an outie) and I have been married for 43 years and have a son, who now makes a trip to TBL Outpost with me each year, a daughter, and 2 adorable grand daughters. My first trip to Quebec was in 1990 to the Gouin Reservoir down the road to Clova, better known as the road from heck.  Since then my fishing partner, Capt. Guy, and I have gone to Lac Matchi-Manitau for several years and for the last 16 years to Taggarts Bay Lodge. I used to ice fish here in the Finger Lakes of NYS, but my knees put an end to that. I like to work in my yard and garden, read novels, travel to places I taught about, and having grown up in a suburb of Buffalo, am an avid Buffalo Bills. I got my start fishing for carp and suckers as a boy in Ellicot Creek in Tonawanda, and on annual family vacations to Cedar Point State Park in the1000 Islands. Been hooked ever since.

johnny walleye

johnny walleye 57 MORGANTOWN WV . MY FIRST TRIP IN THE 70 WAS TO THE KAWARTH LAKES.
OTHER TRIPS CHAPLEAU 4 TIMES
COCHRAN 2 TIMES FLY INS
TWIN J HADEAWAY NEAR TIMMMINS 1
SASEGINAGA 1 LOWER END  AND LAKE OSTABONINQUE WE TENT CAMP ON IT 20 PLUS YRS
LOVE TO TROLL CRAWLER HARNESS.

rambler

Hi All, Rambler here. Just registered today and I see the gangs all here. Very easy to register and already posted a pic. Wow, that was easy!! If you've recieved any of our dvd's in the past you know who we are. Next trip will be at TBL, June 19-Aug 2. Great website!!
Thanks again for all your hard work,
Rich

john c

Rich
is that a typo or are you getting 6 weeks???

John (aka MrsPikie)
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

RHYBAK

Quote from: rambler on May 07, 2014, 02:05:50 PM
Hi All, Rambler here. Just registered today and I see the gangs all here. Very easy to register and already posted a pic. Wow, that was easy!! If you've recieved any of our dvd's in the past you know who we are. Next trip will be at TBL, June 19-Aug 2. Great website!!
Thanks again for all your hard work,
Rich
Wow, you're going for 6 weeks?
You're lucky
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Rik

Hi all, I'm 50 couple years old and live in Pa. Been going north for 25 or so years. just can't get enough of Canada. Last 8 or so years have been to TBL. My better half and I will be there from 6-21 to 7-4. You guys and girls have a good thing going here. Rick

Marco

Mark Ross, but better know as Marco.  I've been working for the Big Red Machine, better known as Verizon for the last 26 years.  As Chico Escuela (aka, Garret Morris from SNL) would say "Verizon been very, very good to me.."

I will have been married for 24 years on June 16th to my sweetie Mary.  No kids, so we have a lot of fun island hopping and living at our 44 acre ranch in central Ohio.  Farm pond included which allows me to fish from March - November!

Tbone and I have been doing the Canada adventure since our dads and grandfather started taking us up in the early 70s.  This will be the 26th straight year me an Bone have made at least a 1 week trip to the promised land, and hopefully I will make it for 26 more. 
Beer got you into this, beer will get you out

tbayboy

Hi everyone - TbayBoy aka Sean of "Sean and Julia" from the other board.  40 something born and raised in NW ontario trolling worm harnesses and spoons now living in Toronto and working on my bass game but I gotta get my walleye fix Kipawa sure is a great place to do it. been going to Kipawa for a few years now (#4 in a few short weeks at 3 seasons camp).

Great to see the gang here, looking forward to hearing how everyones trips are - can't wait to get my hands on more of these:

michelle

Hi all! My name is Michelle and my partner is Stewart. To be honest, I don't do a lot of posting, not a pro fisherman but have started fishing again the last couple of years and enjoying it immensely. We are originally from Elliot Lake, moved to Temiscaming and purchased our camp near Hunter's Point in 2004. We absolutely love it there...and try to get there as often as we can. We have since moved to Sudbury so the trip is a little longer now but I won't complain seeing how far so many of you have to drive to get to Kipawa :)
We have 6 kids and one beautiful granddaughter and 3 dogs that keep us busy....
Nice site by the way, love reading all the posts and am looking forward to reading a lot more about fellow Kipawa lovers....