Trip Report - June 5th-9th

Started by Keeper64, June 12, 2015, 09:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeper64

Well folks, finally getting around to summarizing our trip to Kipawa last week. Just bought a new boat with my neighbour so it was first time taking it up there. Was a bit nervous but it really runs well with a 90hp 4-stroke Yamaha on the back. We stayed at the Outpost camp at Smith Bay. It's an awesome camp. Got in Friday night and had the nachos polished off by 7pm. Fished in/around the bays nearby with very little luck. PLayed cards til the wee hours, like always.

Missed the morning fish for some reason??? Headed up to Hidden Bay in the afternoon, way back in the northeast corner beside the sanctuary. Marked tons of fish and caught a few. Generally, we didn't get any bites at all with jig/worms. Caught everything on Ripplin Redfins, rapalas, and hot'n tots.

Cooked up leg of lamb that night, then a fish "snack" late at night between hands of cards. Very overcast and bit rainy the next day. Tried for some lakers with herring over an absolute huge school of fish but not biting. Shoulda trolled maybe?

Monday was bit better for fish, again back up in Hidden Bay. Pickerel everywhere and almost exclusively in between 6'-8' of water. Biggest was 23" and again caught on the ripplin redfin.  Dinner that night were MONSTER ribeye steaks, slowed cooked at 275F, then seared on High for a nice crust. Add in some fried mushrooms and onions and we had an epic feast. Nobody finished theirs!!  Few more fish that night but bugs got real bad after 9pm.  Packed up and home Tuesday.

We heard through the grapevine that there were two fishermen staying at Two Moons who never returned to their camp Sunday night. We saw boats patrolling around looking for them early Monday morning. Never heard what happened or what the outsome was, whether they ran out of gas or brokedown. Fingers crossed it all worked out ok.  Good reminder for us to top up the gas tanks and ensure we have safety kits, matches, and a good bush knife. You never know.

If anyone knows, please reply.

On a side note, I managed to pick up an infection in my finger while up there that spread rapidly into my hand. Ended up getting admitted to hospital when i got home Tues night for antibiotics!!!  Not fun!!!! 

Anyway, overall it was great fun, with great friends on a beautiful lake. Caught enough to eat and didn't lose my house in 4 nights of cards. Can't wait til next year!!!

Cheers.

Canuckbass

Great report!! Our group plays a ton of cards as well.

Jay Thomas

Thanks for the report Keeper64. While I have not fished Kipawa the last two years, I spent 17 weeks fishing out of 3 Seasons Camp over the previous 14 years. It was nice to read that you took the ride into Hidden Lake. Some years, you couldn't keep walleyes off your hook in there. Did you troll the crank baits or cast them since you were fishing 6 to 8 feet of water? Glad to read that your group enjoyed the lake.

Jay

johnny walleye

thanks for making my day I love to read trip reports

Fort Wisers

Great trip report!
Anybody hear anything about the two people who went missing from two moons??

Oarin

Nice report Keeper64, sounds like you guys know what you're doing and had a great time.

Keeper64

Your welcome guys. No, we never heard anything about the two lost guys. I'm guessing it worked out ok otherwise we woulda heard something by now.

Jay, as for the pickerel, we both trolled and cast our crankbaits. Not sure either one dominated the other.

Forgot to add that we did make a trip to Wolf Bay and although there were MANY boats roaming around, never saw a fish caught. Some guys were still fishing, mainly nearer the mouth, and some boats trolling a very specific route in the back of the bay. We tried for about 2hrs then ran out of beer!!!!

PETERBFLY

Wolf Bay seems to be a better Bass spot now, rather then Walleye.. I remember only fishing for Walleye in there years ago, but not so much anymore..

I check Dave Morins website daily (Owner of Two Moon Lodge) and he didnt mention anything regarding any missing fisherman, so my guess is they werent eaten by a Giant Pike or Grizzly.. We fish pretty late on the lake also, so maybe thats what they were doing.. We dont usually head back to camp until the skeets start lifting up the boat.
Live to Hunt and Fish.. Work to pay for both..

Mmcrae

Hi all we were at two moons when the guys went missing. They showed up next day after spending a tough night in the boat. A great relief to all at camp. On a side note we fished Smiths Bay all week and had great success as long as we were trolling rapalas. We only had a couple (new to the lake) and the last one got destroyed by a big Pike. Switched to leeches but the bite was lite and often took 5 or 6 seconds. Still missed 90 percent of them even waiting that long. Very happy with our experience and looking forward to coming back to Kipawa.

SgtCrabby

Thanks mmcrae for the update on the lost fishermen,  I presume they stayed out and got lost after dark.

Fort Wisers

Good news about the two lost guys!

rambler

I'm sure its a night they won't soon forget.

Fort Wisers

Quote from: rambler on June 15, 2015, 07:27:08 AM
I'm sure its a night they won't soon forget.
Nope, good for "building character".

Dog

thanks for sharing!

Can the @Administrator move this to the Trip Report Folder?...
One more cast...

wvmedic

Thanks for the report Keeper64