News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

TBL Trip Report June 27-July 4

Started by BigChief, July 07, 2015, 04:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigChief

Well we did our bi-annual trek to TBL. This year we were a week earlier than last time.

Water temp started out at 71 dropped to 68 by mid-week and was back up to 71 by the time we left. The air temps were in the low 70's during the day and dropped down in to the low 40's on some nights.

We had a decent storm move through Tuesday into Wednesday that shook things up a bit.

We did not have good drifting winds this week.  It was either dead calm or almost to much wind to drift at all.  No happy medium. 

It also seemed that we were in a transition week.  We were catching some in 12FOW back in the bays early on and then in about 17FOW by the end of the week at the mouths of the bays.

Overall this was not our best week number wise but most of the ones we caught were a pretty good size. I caught the 2 biggest at 24 and 25" respectively. No Lake Trout were caught but no one really tried. And only one small Pike was caught on the main lake.  We all did catch quite a few Smallmouth with the largest coming in at 20". My oldest son finished just out of the winner's circle for the TBL Bass contest with an 18.5".

Overall another great week on Lake Kipawa with good friends and family. And as always the Labatt's tasted a bit better that far up north.

Oarin

Thanks BC, my son and I are heading to the TBL outpost in 11 more LONG days. What color jigs worked best ? Leeches or crawlers ?

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your report. For those of us who have yet to go north, it's wonderful to read these reports.

Jay

SgtCrabby

Thanks for the report B.C.
We head to TBL in a couple of very long weeks .
As Oarin asks, color and bait that seemed to work best?

Oarin, I think we'll probably pass each other on the road.  Wave if you recognize us (the cedar boat  or Texas plates).
Sgt Crabby

600 miles north

thanks for the report big chief. I keep living through the trip reports everyone is putting on here and am wishing I was there. Cheers!

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

BigChief

@Oarin and @SgtCrabby we used yellow 1/16oz jigs and pretty much leeches exclusively. Although some were caught on worms.

Of note I did not catch a single fish on a floating jig setup. They were caught on either a slip or straight jigging. As mentioned we did not have great wind for drifting though. Also the majority of fish I marked on the finder were all suspended. Nothing showed up on bottom. I primarily use the finder for depth but take it for what it's worth.

Oarin

SgtCrabby

rambler

wvmedic

That is about the same weather pattern we had on the French river and Lake Nipissing at the same time.

Jeff

NortonJoe

Indeed, the Bleue does always taste better in Quebec!  Thanks for the report, we are heading north on July 24!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau