Alwaki july 4th to 11th.

Started by Ozzy30, July 17, 2015, 03:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozzy30

I did say in another post that I would put this together this weekend but work was a little slow this afternoon.  This year we didn’t bother heading to Temiscaming on Friday night so we got up early and were on the road by 8 am.  We loaded the boat and headed up the lake to Alwaki around 12 noon.  Once we got unpacked and set the boat up with downriggers and got the rods setup off we went for our first taste of Kipawa lakers.  Due to family obligations this was our first trip back in 2 years so to say we were excited was an understatement.  We headed up through Turtle dam to Lac Audoin where we only managed a couple of Lakers in the couple hours before supper.  I apologize for the lack of pictures we just don’t do a lot of picture taking.  After supper we went out and got a bunch of walleye for lunch the next day. Sunday we got 13 lakers with biggest of the trip at 5lbs, Monday 8 lakers.  Tues it rained all day so we put the full roof up in the morning and took a trip to town to fill up on gas and get snacks for the kids, but we did get out for evening walleye fish.  We kept up good #’s of both lakers and walleye all week, so I won’t bore you with the specifics but to say we sure missed Kipawa last year and can’t wait to go again next.  Thanks to Brian, Tina and Rob at Alwaki as they were great hosts again.
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y311/puckstopperosborne88/LAKER2_zpsswn45zr2.jpeg
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y311/puckstopperosborne88/LAKER1_zpsbewfhai7.jpeg
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y311/puckstopperosborne88/image_zpse84wkyh8.jpeg

Jay Thomas

Hi Ozzy,

Thanks for posting your trip report. Nice to see pictures of your kids enjoying the bounty of Lake Kipawa. If you wouldn't mind, could you describe your down rigging method (i.e how many feet down over how many feet of water and what was your most productive terminal tackle)? Thanks in advance.

Jay 

Ozzy30

http://www.basspro.com/Wordens-Wobble-Troll-Trolling-Rig/product/77768/
The water temperature was anywhere from 68 to 77 degrees, but the Lake trout stayed consistently shallow enough.  We fished from 35ftw to 70ftw.  I attached a link of what my primary lake trout lure is.  Doesn't look like much but I cut away the line or steel wire around here at lebarons.  Then I use 12 to 20lbs fluorocarbon 18" to 24" to retie a #4 treble at one end, slide on a couple orange or red beads(sometimes I just reuse the beads already on the original setup)  put on the wobblers (chartreuse and orange or a combination of both are my colours) then I tie a knot at the other end.  I use a silver Williams with hooks removed and swivel in it's place as the flasher.  I use this setup off the downriggers and dipsey divers.

Fort Wisers

Nice pics @Ozzy30! Good to see the kids getting into the sport. I like how your "catch" photos are the same as mine, kids catch the fish but then dad holds them for the photo.
My kids love fishing but they hate how "slimy" the fish are (their word).

Looks like you had a great time.....

RHYBAK

Great Bait.
I also use it at the cottage on my lead-core flat-line.
It is also known as a peanut bait.

It our parts it hard to find any variety of size or color.
While I was in Fairbanks, I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and couldn't believe my eyes.
They carry every color and every size imaginable in bulk jars.
Up there they only carried trout,Salmon and Grayling tackle.
Not one single Pike,Walleye,Bass, etc. lures to be seen.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Greg

Great pics Ozzy, excellent to get the kids into it - mine are young adults now and want to go back to Kipawa because of the time we spent there years ago.  I just got back last night and had great time also - pics to be posted later today I hope.

SgtCrabby

Thanks!  Great pictures. 
There is something special with the kids.