Threading a walleye?

Started by sdgraham, August 27, 2015, 09:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdgraham

As has been mentioned previously on this forum, the keeper walleye on lakes Kikwissi, Saseginaga and Ogascanane must be between 37 and 53 cm in length. (14.6"- 20.9" for the metrically challenged  ;))

Recently installed signs are there to "help" the angler, including this one I saw at Lake Kikwissi last week. (http://www.duckswild.com/sign.jpg)

But "threading" a walleye???

In reading the French I see that they used the French verb fileter, to mean "cut into filets" rather than "thread," see: http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/filet::)

Also confusing to me was the use of "portfolio method" of cutting up a fish. The Québec government has prepared an information sheet. See: http://www.duckswild.com/portfolio.pdf

I could not find an instance of "portfolio" filets on the Internet in English, but Québec has provided a video at:
http://www.aventure-chasse-peche-video.com/video/2576/Comment-faire-des-filets-de-dor%C3%A9-en-portefeuille-Plan-de-gestion-du-dor%C3%A9-au-Qu%C3%A9bec

(The Québecois call the walleye "doré," which means "golden.")

Brush up on your French or invite the local high school French teacher over. ;)

Essentially, it means to cut the head off and take the bones out, but leave the skin on and leave the filets joined at the tail.

Bon appétit

Riverrat

Yes make sure you clean them this way especially if you are taking them home.  There have been a couple of road blocks going back to Ontario.  This is what people are being fined for not doing.  Watch out for this upcoming long weekend

crunchie

While french is my native language, I still get by a little better in english.
Here's my take on all of this.  The word "fileter" does mean cut into fillets.  The "fil" in the verb "fileter" means a thread, as in a sewing thread.  I really don't think whoever translated this to french had a clue of what they were talking about, I think they just used a translating tool on the web.  I've never heard anyone refer to filleting a fish as "threading" a fish.

All of my fishing buddies use the term "filleting" in English when we talk about cleaning fish.

As far as the end result, I believe the "portefeuille" method refers to the 2 fillets attached together along with the tail.  Again, "portefeuille" basically means "wallet" or "portfolio" in English.  Another translated term from the internet in my mind.  Wallet method does seem more appropriate than portfolio.

Hope you're not more confused than earlier, lol.

crunchie
Keep your stick on the ice and your rod in the water

sdgraham

Given that the French is on top, the sign was written by the Québec government, the English makes no sense and the verb was not strange to the camp owner, I'm betting that fileter is local Québecois. ;)

RHYBAK

Irregardless of the wording or misinterpretation,you still must watch the video to get a visual of how you MUST clean your walleye as of next year for transportation home.
That is the bottom line.

Weather you say threading ,filleting or cleaning./
Who cares.
Watch the video.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Oarin

Wow, that will sure slow things down. Maybe it's time to find a lake in Ontario.

RHYBAK

Quote from: Oarin on September 02, 2015, 10:28:18 AM
Wow, that will sure slow things down. Maybe it's time to find a lake in Ontario.

There are lot more restrictions in Ontario.
You still can't beat Kipawa as a Whole.
I have been cleaning my take home fish this way for years.
(I think Jay first showed that way to me.)Correct me if I'm wrong.
The only thing I didn't do in the past was cut into the gill plate bone.
It's easy.

fishtildark

We had to follow this method on Sasseginega this year. It isnt too burdensome when you dont get half way done and realize " aw crap, shouldnt have cut through there.."
The other issue we were advised of is the fish wardens dont want the eating fish in the fridge for" too long a time". We are always aware of the eating filets being part of the limit but the gist of it was to eat them within 24 hours if they arent going home. If you depend on the evening bite for the next days supper....I suppose I could leave them hang on the stringer.....I do appreciate that the province needs to protect the resource as it is the livelihood  for alot of people and taking home enough to feed the hometown could kill a lake quickly. Just seems that some of the rules are just arbitrarily made to make keeping fish tougher.
So many lures and so little time.

FSZ

The filleting method is required for walleye for all lakes Zec Restigo as well.  This is to make sure folks are keeping the big walleye and cutting it into  pieces so as to appear to be within the slot when its not.

I was checked at the end of the maniwaki road on July 31.  The wardens were polite and professional. 

They checked every cooler and inspected each fish but measured only one on the small side (but legal).

Once you learn the correct cleaning method its no problem.

I only wish they cut the slot down to 47 or 49 CM to protect larger fish.  This is common in north west ontario, but I think the fishing pressure is higher there.  And Id take a quebec warden any day of the week over an ontario warden. 

Oarin

Can one of the moderators put sdgraham's threading video into the pink/orange area at the top, maybe in the fishing discussion section and under the Quebec fishing regulations. I think a lot of us will need a refresher course before our next trip. Thanks sdgraham for letting us know about the new reg.  Oarin

Oarin

john c

@Oarin I don't have my puter geek status yet but I got it done.   :o ;D ;D ;)

John
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

Oarin

Has anyone found an English version of this? It sure would be helpful.

RHYBAK

Oarin

I know it's in french but I sure got the jist of it by watching the video.
I don't think it's law yet.
Only a proposal as of last year.

New regs will be out soon.

Oarin

Thanks Rhybak, I'm sure if it becomes a law someone will post it. I can see if there is a slot reg. how people could fillet a fish to hide an over sized fish.( sad as that is) Has there been any news on a slot on Kipawa? I for one, think it's a good idea if done right. Unfortunately, the government and the word right are seldom in the same sentence.