Threading a walleye?

Started by sdgraham, August 27, 2015, 09:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHYBAK

LOL...I checked the regs.
No change yet.
The present reg govern 2014 to 2016.
I'm wondering if the change if any will be 2017.

We will have wait for updates in the new year.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Oarin

Thanks RHYBAK, good luck ice fishing !

Jay Thomas

Hi Gary,

Last year, I used an online translator to get an English version. Here's the result:

The walleye should be transported whole or in fillets cut in portfolio. This is to enable identification of the species and the determination of the total length. The two fillets must measure more than 28 cm and less than 40 cm long. These must be measured from the tip of the tail to the inside of the pectoral fin (nageoire pectoral). Fillets must be connected by the caudal fin (tail). The pectoral fins and the skin must adhere to the filet.

I've used an electric filleting knife for over 10 years now. IMHO, my electric filleting knife facilitates the inclusion of the pectoral fin on the cleaned walleye.

Jay

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Oarin on December 07, 2015, 04:30:39 PM
Has there been any news on a slot on Kipawa? I for one, think it's a good idea if done right. Unfortunately, the government and the word right are seldom in the same sentence.

Just wondering Gary whether you would mind sharing your concerns about "the slot is a good idea if done right".

I would be surprised if the walleye slot scheduled for 2016 on Lake Kipawa will be any different than the walleye slots already on other lakes in the area (e.g. in the ZECs ). Are you suggesting that that slot limit would be inappropriate for Lake Kipawa?

Jay

Oarin

Hi Jay, thanks for your explanation on the fillets. No, I think a slot would be a good thing for the future of Lac Kipawa. I would like to see 1 trophy fish allowed to be taken if the person wants to. ( I wouldn't) The done right part stems from me living in NY. Most things the state touches seem to be ill thought out, just knee jerk reactions. I hope the Quebec fish/wildlife people are truly in tune with the Lac, outfitters, and fishermen/women.  What are the slots for the  other regions?  Have a great Boxing Day ! Gary.

Jay Thomas

Hi again Gary,

Walleye length limits are available on line at http://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/fishing-regulations/general-regulations/catch-possession-limits.asp

Even though the current Sports Fishing Regulations state that the length limit for walleye in ZECs Kipawa and Maganasipi is 37 cm (14.5 inches) or longer, three lakes in ZEC Kipawa (Ogascanan, Sasseginaga and Kikwissi) started enforcing a walleye slot limit of 37 to 53 cm (14.5 to 21 inches) four years ago.

Currently, the Sports Fishing Regulations state that the length limit for walleye on Lake Kipawa is 32 cm (12 inches) or longer. However, Wayne (an outfitter on the lake) posted the following on 18 Oct 2015:

I spoke with some biologists 2 weeks ago in Kipawa. They were doing an egg sampling of Lake trout in Kipawa lake. Our Lake trout fishery is in trouble and the government is aware of it and working on it. They did some stocking this spring but it will take a few years to see those results. As far as walleye there will be a slot size imposed for 2016. Unofficially the length will be 35cm-53cm or there abouts. Again this is not law yet but is in the works. The new regs will be available April 1st 2016. We will see  what they have decided then. These are positive changes and will be beneficial to the lake and its users for years to come.

Hope this helps. Jay

Oarin

Thanks Jay, as usual, you're right there with answers to our questions.

Canuckbass

NortonJoe

Very interesting on the history and how it has come to pass!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau