TBL fishing report August 15-29 2015

Started by Kathy E, August 30, 2015, 10:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathy E

Mike and I just got back from another awesome 2 week stay at TBL.   We are thankful for another year at the lodge, this being our 7th!
The first week we had a couple of nice days, weather was such a factor this year, especially the wind (oh how I hate crossing Queen's bay in the wind!).
The fishing was average, we were able to have a couple of fish dinners (Mike makes an awesome Walleye Cajun broil).
We took a couple of young newcomers under our wings and showed them how to fish the lake since they have never fished anything like Kipawa before.    One of them caught his first walleye ever.  They had an awesome time, they even went to one of the remote lakes and caught 12 northerns.   Mike's club has an annual Sportsmen's raffle and the grand prize is a trip for 2 to TBL and they were the winners.   They were (and so were we) happy that they won the trip and hope to return again. 
The total for this week was 57 Walleye, 20 Bass, 2 Northern.
The second week, the weather changed (High winds, rain, cool temps)  and the fishing turned on!  We had an awesome week for walleye when we could fish for them.   Everyday the winds whipped up and we had to cross Queen's (Ugh) but Mike is a very safe captain and we were able to get to our destinations.   
Fished with mostly worms and leeches on jigs, Mike using white, and me using pink.  Didn't seem to matter who was using what, the walleye kept biting.  Most were in the 13-15" range, but we did have several larger ones, the largest being 21".   We seemed to be lucky at most points we stopped at.
The last day (which was the windiest) we traveled into Queens and we had so much fun with such a variety of fish that day, we caught 5 northern's, Walleye and Bass!
Totals for this week were 105 Walleye, 11 Bass, 6 Northern.
Coming to this lodge every year isn't just about fishing, it's about relaxing, de-stressing from our everyday lives and of course getting to see our awesome friends each year.    Janet, Bill, Annette, Greg, Dale, Peg, Gary and his friend Jim (who we hope to see again!) We missed Tom and Linda so much, we send our love and prayers to them.   Of course, Lise and Yves were the best hosts again! Keep up the good work, don't change a thing!    Can't wait to come back next year.     

puckster_guy

Sounds like an awesome time. I wudda thought that the walleye were deeper then that. Do you know the water temp? Methinks you just made some new converts to the Kipawa club WTG!!
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Kathy E

We caught most walleye in 15-18 feet, but some days (eves actually) the larger ones were in 20-24 ft.   We jigged touching bottom, but some days the fish were off the bottom about 2-4 ft.    We watched the water temp. drop from 71 to 68 in just a few days.  But the cooler weather seemed to make the fishing better.

T-Bone

Quote from: Kathy E on August 30, 2015, 10:17:06 AM
We missed Tom and Linda so much, we send our love and prayers to them.

Nice report...sounds like the weather was challenging, but you seemed to just fine. This is the second report I've read where Tom and Linda weren't there. They're fixtures at TBL and were very nice to me and my group when we were there several years ago. I hope everything is OK.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

rambler

Nice report Kathy. We also found that the walleyes were a lot shallower this year than usual. Sounds like you guys had a great time.