Dog's Paddle

Started by Dog, May 05, 2014, 10:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog

I'll get this party started... This isn't technically a "boat", but it is what I use when not standing on shore to fish...

I bought this canoe about a year ago after selling my kayak... After fishing one year with it in stock configuration on the Allegheny River and other nearby bodies of water around Pittsburgh, one thing became perfectly clear... I needed to do some modifications so that I could have a more comfortable 2014 fishing season.

Perhaps the biggest issue to remedy was the stock seat. Made out of molded plastic and relatively high between the gunwales it was not comfortable at all (to fish or paddle) (and the canoe was not as stable as I had hoped)... there was no flex in the seat back and angle was all off (almost as if it was pushing me forward out of the seat)... For added stability I lowered the new seat setup an additional 3" (1" off the floor) with longer Gr8 carriage bolts and black PVC (for spacers). Probably not obvious from the pictures,  I cut the rear spacers 1/4" longer so the seat has a slight rearward lean to it correcting the awkward stock seating angle.
To make it more comfortable than sitting on a board, I picked up a LL Bean Canoe seat on sale and plopped it on the cedar boards I cut, sanded and sparred to protect them from the UV rays of the sun and potential water rot/damage.

I chose cedar because it's relatively strong and extremely lightweight. the seat modification and additional thwarts below only added 1.75 lbs to the weight of the canoe so that worked for me.

Because I was a bit concerned I may have decreased the rigidty of the gunwales by removing the molded plastic seat, I decided to augment by adding an additional front and rear thwart out of sparred cedar and Gr8 hardware.

Other additions and modifications include...
-I got tired of messing with the paddle when fishing so My brother-in-law bought me a taco clip for Christmas and I mounted it atop the starboard gunwale for easier access.
The cooler and cup holders are behind the seat within arms reach and out of the usual water splash caused when paddling. I use one cupholder for an actual drink and the other usually has my cell phone in it with a portable speaker to play music while paddling between fishing spots...
- I traded in the yellow paddle from my kayak for the longer black paddle to accommodate the higher canoe gunwales since I was having to lean left and right with each paddle stroke to prevent hitting the gunwale with the shorter yellow colored kayak paddle.
I made measuring scale on the floor in front of me in the cockpit with a sharpie marker for easy measuring of fish once I get them onboard. The scale is hooked on the right seat mounts for easy access as well.

To the get the fish in the canoe that I'd rather not grab by the lip (walleye, carp, catfish, sucker etc....) I have a glow in the dark, floating lip grabber I found on amazon. This device works like a charm and you'll see it in my trip report this coming year at Lake O.

A fishing pole holder is mounted to the front thwart as well.
(I will be mounting a rod holder behind the seat I can use to troll when I'm paddling between spots... as I often take two poles out with me in the canoe. one for trolling/ casting and one for jigging)

Of course no fishing canoe cockpit is complete without an ashtray for the victory cigar!

This offseason I also picked up a portable
Humminbird Piranhamax 176i. I'm really looking forward to giving this a go in 2014 in the canoe as well on Lake O.

While a white light is not required, I felt it was prudent so the coal barges don't run me over while night fishing on the river... I also have a red and green headlamp I velcro to the outer gunwales as running lights after sunset. They're battery operated and work like a champ for $4 from home depot so can't argue with that...

One more cast...

paul sr.

that's a great set up. nice job.

johnny walleye

Dog

Scratch the idea of heavy mods this offseason to make the doggy paddle 2 person capable...
the wife wants one of these next spring for her water taxi.... http://www.paddlenext.com/
can't say I blame her, looks pretty sweet!
One more cast...

Dog

Got the doggy paddle's hull all cleaned up (amazing what a little dawn dish wash followed up with some vinyl protectant can go, looks brand new!)

@Tactical Fishing Co I'm still waiting for some stickers for the hull  8)

and then made a few adjustments to the layout

Added a measuring tape front and center and added port and stbd running lights that I can take on and off (during transport and day fishing) with heavy duty 3M hook and loop.
I few more ideas to add this offseason but it's coming along nicely.
One more cast...

puckster_guy

Only one question.....Where do you put the beer cooler??
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Dog

@puckster_guy
Great question and you see that soft sided cooler right behind the seat within arms reach... It easily holds a 12 pack of brewskis, a couple of 1L coke bottles, a flask of whiskey and my cigars ;D
One more cast...

puckster_guy

AHHH my faith in fisherman has been restored ;) :)
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Dog

Quote from: puckster_guy on September 21, 2014, 05:04:27 PM
AHHH my faith in fisherman has been restored ;) :)

If I drank any more than that I wouldn't be able to paddle back to shore... haha
One more cast...

Dog

Tis' the season to decorate the halls, I mean hull ...

One more cast...

johnny walleye

Dog

Just sold the doggy paddle for exactly what I paid for it 3 years ago.... So if anyone was wondering Old Town canoes hold their value! Time to find a deal on a 2 person canoe!
One more cast...

Fort Wisers

Quote from: Dog on May 02, 2015, 03:07:18 PM
Just sold the doggy paddle for exactly what I paid for it 3 years ago.... So if anyone was wondering Old Town canoes hold their value! Time to find a deal on a 2 person canoe!

Just getting around to reading this thread!
I can't believe you sold you're ride after all that work!?!
Old Town makes a great canoe.

We just picked up a second canoe, Swift - Kipawa.
Looking forward to some day paddling her in the body of water from which her name comes!

Canuckbass

Looks great!! I use a Jackson Coosa kayak for many fishing trips. Love it!
Will take to Kipawa one trip.

Dog

@Fort Wisers
Brent, a Swift Canoe is on my short list... with the friendly exchange rate it may be time to pull the trigger this year while north of the border... do you like yours? I'm eyeing up the Temagami model

feel free to PM or email me your thoughts...
Thanks, nate
One more cast...