News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Slip Jigging

Started by Dog, May 05, 2014, 11:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog

My methodology is essentially the inverse of slip bobbering. While slip bobbering sets the depth of the bait from the surface, my technique sets the depth of the bait off the bottom and so I named it slip jigging.

Because I wanted the height off the bottom to be adjustable and to minimize additional knots... 3 way swivels really weren't much use... For the slips on the mainline I chose these from my local Dicks Sporting Good store (I'm sure they're available in most tackle departments).... I thought they were really neat when I saw them and exactly what I was looking for.... the line slides right through them (to adjust just use pliers which are always within arms reach for me while fishing)

I ran the mainline from the reel through a barrel swivel in between the slips. I call this the lure line...

I tied the lure or hook to the other end of the lure line... possibilities are endless really (I'll likely use something in the picture below (I'm a big fan of floating jigs) or Mustad slow death crawl hooks)

On the bottom of the mainline I used a weight to find the bottom (I'm thinking 1/8 or 1/4 oz outta do the trick depending on wind conditions), right now I have a Northland Roach walker (pictured above) to minimize snags as it seems more friendly to dragging the bottom.

Overall my Slip Jigging rig looks like this...

Anywho, that's my 2014 technique and the one I plan to use north of the border this year to become the 2014 Crystal Head Champion.
One more cast...

Dog

After giving this a shot twice on our trip this year with no catches to report, I have altered the design my slip jigging rig for next year in hopes I feed the fish less and feel the bite and subsequently catch more fish. time will tell...
One more cast...

RHYBAK

Dog

Not saying you don't know what your doing  BUT...Would you not just put about 12-20 inches from the sinker to the floating jig head?
You just want your bait to sit inches off of bottom.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

puckster_guy

I dunno guys last week My buddies and me only got walleye with jigs kissing the bottom, even trolling only produced pike. maybe its th time of year or location, I'll never figure out these fish lol
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Dog

Quote from: RHYBAK on August 11, 2014, 02:02:51 PM
Dog

Not saying you don't know what your doing  BUT...Would you not just put about 12-20 inches from the sinker to the floating jig head?
You just want your bait to sit inches off of bottom.

Rhybak, I'm not saying you don't know how to read BUT.... if you do what you suggested, how the heck would you feel the bite?(I'd be in the same situation as my old setup. Not hatin', just sayin') My new setup will allow my bait to sit inches off the bottom (as your fishing royalty mind suggests). Patience grasshopper...
One more cast...

RHYBAK

LOL
This morning I realized I made a big bobo with my previous post,but I forgot to delete it.
This is what I get.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle