Good day all . Newbie on the forum and going to Miwapanee

Started by 1redneck1, March 14, 2016, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1redneck1

My wife and I are heading up the end of May for some walleye  and lakers. Have been reading up in the past forums for info. Most are talking about the north end of the lake.

Wondering if anyone has input on the south end?

Joe

T-Bone

I'm confident there are good areas to fish down there, but many of us fish the central and northern parts of the lake. Talk to James at Miwapanee...he's a good guy and a straight-shooter....he'll get you pointed in the right direction.

I will say, though, that I've heard (and have seen) of many vacationers and locals from that area cruising up to Lac Sunnyside and the central area of the lake to fish for 'eyes. And, considering the spawn will just be wrapping up when you get there, I'd predict many of the walleyes will still be near the spawning areas. Not sure there are any areas down that way where the walleyes spawn...

Hope this helps.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

1redneck1

I am taking my boat which is a 16' with a 50 HP, so we may have to boat north to fish.

Thanx Joe

Goach15

Hi Joe...Have spent a lot of time fishing the south end of the lake.Always stayed at White Pine Lodge which is next to Miwapanee. Spring is good for lake trout but walleye are very scarce. Even in mid summer they are difficult to find and the few places that I have caught them are hit and miss. We switched to north end for walleye and there is no comparison....like night and day...so plan on travelling to mid lake ....Corbeau Island area....also crossing English Bay from Miwapanee to the channel narrows to the north end in a 16 footer can be quite a rough and wet ride so pack your rain gear just in case the weather blows up...

1redneck1

I am hoping to do some lake trout fishing ,but We may trailer the boat to the top end if thats the case.

I guess we will have to waist and see.

Canuckbass

Lakers should be anywhere, shouldn't need down riggers as they should still be in upper portion of water. What dates are you there? We'll be up with a gang building decks.

1redneck1

May 28Th for a week.

My wife really likes walleye. But having said that she hasn't fished for lakers yet.It looks like there are some nice shelfs on English bay that we can try.

I was thinking of trolling in 50 FOW or less. Any comments?

Goach15

Hi....Lakers are scattered throughout the water column in spring...Have caught trout flat lining over 200 feet and off bottom in 40-90 feet . Trout in my avatar pic was caught shortly after ice out in May on bottom in 50 feet...Larger fish are near bottom ..if staying at Miwapanee when leaving camp follow shoreline  to left and go around the corner  ..need to stay around 75-100 feet from shoreline.... about 1/2 mile into ride you will mark a rock shoal running 90 degrees from shore....fish around that structure 

1redneck1

Sounds like an excellent place to start. DO you have any bait or depth suggestions? I have my fish finder so I will be watching for bait schools or fish to give me pointers aswell.

Canuckbass

16 ft boat is perfect, the lake can get nasty in front of Miwapanee so you have to respect the water if the wind blows. We've gone through some nasty stuff over the past few years.

1redneck1

That wont happening it's going to be 18 and flat all week. LOL