Quebec's Main Rules for Sport Fishing

Started by Jay Thomas, April 04, 2016, 01:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Thomas

Sadly, as of today at 1330 hours, Quebec's Main Rules for Sport Fishing are still not yet available on line.

I telephoned Quebec authorities this afternoon and was told that the new rules would be available in a few more days. There is some information available in french at http://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/publications/enligne/faune/reglementation-peche/regles-generales/limites-prises-possession-taille.asp

Regarding walleye, it says that last seasons rules will apply until new main rules are released.

Regarding lake trout, it looks like you'll be able to keep two lake trout greater than 65 centimeters (25.6 inches).

If anyone has more accurate information, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Jay

puckster_guy

Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Mr3seasonscamp

Lake trout 65cm plus  and one  trout and whole
Walleye you can keep 37 cm to 53 cm and it applys for yellow only 6 limits and filet the new way portfolio or whole  i hope this helps Reggie

Jay Thomas

Thanks very much Reggie. Your post suggests that there will be different rules for blue/black walleye. Can you please clarify.

Jay

Riverrat

My understanding is the same as Reggie's as confirmed by Chalet Diane a couple of days ago.  I think all the walleye are classified the same

Mr3seasonscamp

Yellow walleye or walleye 37-53 cm and no slots for black walleye or sauger that dont get to be bigger then 37 cm anyway Regards Reggie

RHYBAK

For those that are technical, cm. translates as follows.
Multiply the cm. by .3937 to get your inches.
65cm = 25 9/16"
37cm = 14 9/16"
53cm = 20 7/8"

I'm sure somebody will find a flaw in my calculations but that is my translation
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Mr3seasonscamp

Let just day to be safe 25 3/4 lake troute and 14 3/4 to 20 3/4 for walleye and that way everyone is safe cheers

NortonJoe

Another question I've seen discussed...How are the fish to be cleaned for transport?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

T-Bone

This really doesn't impact what I do, but my friends will want to know. To round off in safe and simple terms:

- License holder can keep walleye between 15" and 20", but only 6 in possession at any given time...everything else goes back, right?

I can't imagine anyone can visually tell the genetic difference between a yellow, or blue, or black walleye. What if you're color blind? Well...another reason just to throw them all back, I guess.  ???
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Quote from: NortonJoe on April 05, 2016, 09:47:42 AM
Another question I've seen discussed...How are the fish to be cleaned for transport?

Joe
Here is the link showing how to clean the fish for transport
It is in french ,but the visual explains it all.

http://www.aventure-chasse-peche-video.com/video/2576/Comment-faire-des-filets-de-dor%C3%A9-en-portefeuille-Plan-de-gestion-du-dor%C3%A9-au-Qu%C3%A9bec
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Oarin

Maybe a dumb question, but what's the difference in the walleye and what kind do we catch in Kipawa?

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Mr3seasonscamp on April 04, 2016, 09:28:58 PM
Yellow walleye or walleye 37-53 cm and no slots for black walleye or sauger that dont get to be bigger then 37 cm anyway Regards Reggie

If the new regulations state that new slot limits for walleye apply only to yellow walleye and not to blue/black walleye or sauger, it’s going to create a lot of confusion. Why? The walleye we refer to as blue/black walleye are not genetically different from yellow walleye. Consequently, regarding adherence to fishing regulations, IMHO, we should treat all walleye caught as yellow walleye (concur with Riverrat). During my 14 years fishing Lake Kipawa, I have caught several blue/black walleye in the 5 to 7 pound range.

Consider the following

Two University of Wisconsin researchers have shown that a strain of blue-pigmented walleye does exist, but they are actually the common yellow walleye. W.F. Schaefer and M.H. Schmitz of University of Wisconsin’s Dept. of Biology have identified a blue pigment, sandercyanin, which is found in certain walleye in Canada, usually from above 45 degrees north latitude (Lake Erie is roughly 41 degrees north). And occurrences of blue pigmentation in walleye appear to be spreading south. The researchers describe these blue walleye as being an albino form which lack the yellow pigment characteristic of normal yellow walleye. The blue pigment is not found in the skin but instead is part of the fish's mucous.

Jay

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Mr3seasonscamp on April 04, 2016, 09:28:58 PM

Some additional clarification - compliments of Mr3seasonscamp

Reggie telephoned me at noon today to clarify his post. For Reggie, black walleye and sauger are synonymous terms. Reggie's clarification completely negates the rationale for my previous post. Reggie went on to say that all walleye are yellow walleye. Thanks Reggie.

Jay

Riverrat

I kind of thought that's what I said.  All the walleyes are classified the same.  They are all yellow walleyes.  Although some show a blue look they are yellow Walleyes.  The actual Blue Walleye is extinct.