Believers or Not: Question on Moon phases.

Started by plowjock, February 27, 2021, 09:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plowjock

I just finished checking all the Kipawa Board fishing discussion.
I was surprised to Not find anything relating to Fishing with a Full Moon.
I'm an older dude and have NEVER gone out fishing on a Full moon.
Just wondering how many of you regular guys up at the lake have gone out and had a slayfest.
I've heard a lot about fish being very active and hitting just about anything thrown in the water.
Let's see what this discussion can lead to.                                                                                         
I know many fishermen/fisherwomen are very superstitious.
How were your results?

smitty55

My PB Walleye of 31.5" and 11.5lb came at 10:30 pm on a full moon dragging a jig and worm along a small island near Corbeau. Won me $100 too in the weekly derby at Corbeau Lodge. Dedicated Musky fishermen pay very close attention to daily major and minor activity levels related to moon positions as well monthly phases.

Jay Thomas

I prefer dark moon over full moon in late summer months.

Jay

Oarin

We've tried both moon phases and I think the biggest factor is weather fronts moving through. One minute you're on the bite, and the next they have lock jaw. I get my first vaccine on Tuesday and Jon already has his. I really hope the borders open. My area is below 2% positive cases.

plowjock

I know that feeling all too well.
Have had days when you couldn't keep the fish off your hook and then BINGO, everything SHUTS DOWN.
Was there a cloud cover blowing over, or sudden breeze come up.
Honestly in my cases, don't remember either.
I was just ticked that after 2 solid hours of catching, all I was doing was washing lures.
Well, at least I now have some clean Baits.

T-Bone

I know when it's a full moon you can fish later into the evening...when a new moon it's dark around camp...when in between on either side, well, the moon isn't full or dark. Full moons look the coolest, so I prefer those, but I don't know how much influence it has on fishing.

We've caught plenty of fish in any / all of the moon phases on Kipawa. I'm with Jay...I think weather (barometric pressure) has more to do with it than anything.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

During most full moon I black out and wake up in the middle of who knows where with my clothes ripped to sheds and blood on my face, coughing up fur balls.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

Quote from: RHYBAK on March 01, 2021, 03:12:56 PM
During most full moon I black out and wake up in the middle of who knows where with my clothes ripped to sheds and blood on my face, coughing up fur balls.

HA HA HA!!! That's awesome! And, in part, I'd believe it's true...  ;D
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

puckster_guy

Quote from: RHYBAK on March 01, 2021, 03:12:56 PM
I want what your smoking  ;D :o 8)
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

reelpro

Moon phase definitely affects fish behaviour just as weather does.

They both affect the atmospheric pressure, which affects the water environment fish live in.

When the moon is directly overhead the barometric pressure rises.

From my experience fish activity is affected by moon phase  all other things being equal.

If a moon rise or set coincides with a weather event it can void the effect or sometimes increase the change.

Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the dreaded “lockjaw”.

I have had some amazing full moon outings and some terrible results.

For that magic day, were everything that falls in the water gets attacked by a fish, everything has to align just right .

Water temp, weather, time of year, moon phase, spawning success, baitfish populations and health, how many bugs hatched this yr vs last in the mayfly hatch and on and on.

Awesome when it hits just right though.

I always check moon phase and sometimes adjust when I,m going to leave the dock.