Line Question...Again

Started by T-Bone, May 16, 2016, 01:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

I'm sure I've asked about this before, but I can't recall the insights I gained.

What's the 'best' line for jig fishing (either vertical or casting) on a spinning reel...and why so you think so? I hear a lot these days it seems about Nanofil being the best, but only if you use a flourocarbon leader. I've read just as much about why Nanofil isn't the best as it breaks easily, can 'kink', etc.

Most of my headaches while in the boat on Kipawa surround my fishing line; it's commonly it's twisted beyond all get out...more than just a nuisance. I think a small barrel with a leader going to the jig would remedy that, but seems like a bigger hassle than line twist when you're retying 8-10 times per session and sometimes when the fishing is hottest. Rarely would I call my line issue surround it being fragile, and I typically have a hard time breaking off snags on 6# line. I've tried mono (use this the most, by far), flouro, superlines, etc....always seem to deal with the same issues...though superlines are the most difficult to work with, IMO.

I know a lot of you guys study this stuff; I'm probably a lot less tactical on the little details than most fisherman...I just like to fish...not really into fussing a lot about it. Given that, should I just stay with mono and deal with the line twist?

Thoughts and insights appreciated. Thanks.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

you don't want my opinion.
It will get over thrown anyways.
Use what ever turns you on.
It's caught fish in the past and it will continue to.
You really want my opinion...e mail me. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Greg

Hey Tbone...

I exclusively use braided line - usually powerpro 20lb or 30lb test - doesn't matter if it is on my baitcaster or spinner reels.   Sometimes I will tie on a mono leader (8lb or 10lb, maybe even a 12lb) for reduced visibility.  I tie on about 6 to 8 feet, and as I have to cut and retie the leader, I will let the leader get down to 2 feet before replacing.

Why braid line for me? - personal preference - I can feel everything, it doesn't stretch (so doesn't feel dull) when you set the hook, smaller diameter for higher strength, no memory or 'loops' when you leave it on the reel for a couple of years, etc.  We fish a lot of pike on the Ottawa river and can get into a big musky very easily (my friend got a 39lb Musky last August when he was casting into some weeds where he just saw a bass roll).   I don't think a 10lb mono line would have survived that 25 minute battle.

Greg

Canuckbass

10lb PowerPro to 6lb fluorocarbon leader is your best setup.

Line twist a lot of times has nothing to do with the line itself.
Is your reel overfilled?
Do you manually engage your bail or use automatic bail close when reeled? Using automatic naturally puts a twist in line... Takes time to learn but always best to close bail with your hand.

After a few hours clear your line of everything and troll line in water for 30 seconds 50 yards or so and takes all spin/ twist out of line.

No barrel swivel should ever be required.

pike mike

I'll second Rhyback's " Its caught fish before" so I don't dwell on the line manufacturer etc but I will add this caveat directed towards Gregs response of "20lb or30lb test"   .
I use 4lb test mono line  .I was presuming in asking about jigging we were speaking of hitting Eyes on Kipawa . I use 4 foot ultralight rods with small matching reels and usually 4lb but no more than 6lb test and rarely more than a 1/8 oz jog head
If casting or trolling for pike or lakers my larger poles and reels have 12 lb test on board 

Fishn Deep

Over the years I've used 8# cheap mono, Vanish, and Spiderwire line that looks and feels like green dental floss while jigging for walleye and caught fish consistently on all of it. No noticeable difference to me in terms of catching fish. Perhaps in these dark tannin (tea stained) lakes that we fish it doesn't matter that much. If a line has good sensitivity and durability fishing in rocks I'll stick with it.

Canuckbass

For Kipawa I basically just use 6lb or 8lb mono. Mainly because most of the guys don't bring a rod as we have many, nothing worse then someone borrowing a rod with braid and lose it all.

rambler

4-6 lb. smoke Fireline. No leader.

Jighead

Just old school....6 lb stren mono and smallest jig. No issues.

Ozzy30

I am a big believer in braided line with a fluorocarbon 6lb leader, just a confidence thing I learned when fishing smallmouth bass on drop shot.  The preference for the braid is all my spinning reels come with a 2nd spool and once the line starts to discolor I will put the 2nd spool and reel it back on the other way.  This way I don't have to change the braided line as often.

plowjock

T-Bone, you have a question about line twist. Easiest way to avoid line twist is not reeling against a slipping spool while fighting a fish. If you have a major issue with line twist, clean off end of line, any terminal tackle etc. Go for a drive and let your line out. As you motor down the lake you will feel the drag on your line which is out behind boat. This will stretch your line and also undo all the twists in it. Reel your line in and go back to where you want to fish and re rig everything. The line will flow nicely off the spool now without an issue. Tightlines!

RHYBAK

Quote from: plowjock on February 22, 2021, 08:48:31 PM
T-Bone, you have a question about line twist. Easiest way to avoid line twist is not reeling against a slipping spool while fighting a fish. If you have a major issue with line twist, clean off end of line, any terminal tackle etc. Go for a drive and let your line out. As you motor down the lake you will feel the drag on your line which is out behind boat. This will stretch your line and also undo all the twists in it. Reel your line in and go back to where you want to fish and re rig everything. The line will flow nicely off the spool now without an issue. Tightlines!

Excellent point
I did that a few times last year
Works like a charm

fishtildark

The lureless troll does work and I usually end up doing it a couple times a week at least. However if you are in the middle of a walleye frenzy( which itself causes alot of twist) taking off down the lake isnt going to happen.. stripping ten yards of line off will take out alot of the twists and since i use Trilene , can afford to respool if necessary. Also, taking a couple long casts and winding in with line being pressured between thumb and forefinger  (like when you are spooling up) gives some temporary relief. still thinking on the idea that manually closing bail can help.
So many lures and so little time.

RHYBAK

LOL..... Just have another rod ready to go

limacharley

Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein