Smith Bay Outfitters July 23 thru July 30

Started by T, August 01, 2016, 07:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T

Another great visit with Grant and Lyn at Smith Bay Outfitters.  As usual we had a lot of fun with them.  Grant got me on a couple of his jokes. This year my son and two best friends were in camp.  Fishing was outstanding.  Weds was the best day of them all.  Weds evening the four of us boated over 80 walleye with several over 20 inches.  That night I also caught a 21.5 inch small mouth. Not sure how much it weighed, but it was an awesome fight.  After Weds. the wind changed from the south to coming from the north.  The fishing slowed down.  We still caught fish but not in the numbers we caught earlier.  In total we caught over 350 walleye.   Great numbers considering the amount of beer that was consumed.  90% of our walleye were caught dragging jigs with either a worm or leech in water from 18 ft to 27 ft.  I don't think we caught more than 5 fish trolling. 

I must say I do not like the new way of filleting fish.  Thank goodness I bought a Bubba fillet knife before we left. They are worth every dollar. 

Oarin

Sounds like you had a great time. Lots of walleyes and a huge bass. They really can put up a fight! I totally agree that the new filleting method is a pain in the butt!!! I have no problem with the slots, but I hope they change the fillet law.

wvmedic

SgtCrabby

Thanks for a great report.

I agree, the new fillet method is a PIR (pain in rear).  But the Bubba knives are good (expensive, but good).