Quick Hitter: Alwaki Lodge - July 30- August 4

Started by T-Bone, August 08, 2016, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

Still assembling pictures from the guys, but I thought I'd give a quick report on how we did last week:

Had an epic week; caught fish like never before. Had a fish on within the first 10-seconds of dropping the first jig and that never stopped. Only fished meaningfully in the evening from about 7pm - 9pm, though had a mid-day bite going on Thursday where we caught a lot of 'eyes during cloudy/stormy skies that afternoon. Estimate of around 1,200+ walleyes across 10 fisherman with some catching many more than others...a few of us with 150-200 walleyes each. Maybe 10 or so pike, no lakers. About 10% of walleyes were 'keepers'...tons of 14" fish just under the slot.

Biggest 'eye in the group was 5+ pounder. Jigged 99.9% of time. Fish were on mid-lake shoals, though we caught a few casting into shoreline shallow waters around dark. I'd say 90% of fish came from 14'-18'....5% from 20'-24'...5% from less than 5'. They were both hugging the bottom and suspended...we fished both and did better on the bottom.

I'm convinced more than ever that both experience on 'how' to fish (technique) and location mean everything on Lake Kipawa.

Miss it already...but will have to wait until same time next year. Hope to get full report put together soon.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Sounds Great.
Glad to hear that you finally had an epic year.
That's what keeps you going back again and again.

Pictures or a video would be a nice touch.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Greg

Sweet Todd!   looking forward to the full report... (something I haven't done either... ha).

Ozzy30

Glad you had such a good trip and lots of fish.  When you say no lakers,  did u actually fish for them?  Can't wait for full report.  I have a group of friends up there right now and hopefully they catch some good fishing also.

puckster_guy

WTG T-Bone sounds like a more then awesome trip.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

600 miles north

Glad to hear you had such success this year! We hope to catch a fraction of the fish you caught this weekend! Two sleeps and we are off! I sure wish we could stay longer, but I am just glad to be able to see the lake this year! I will be looking for those pics in the future! We have an all boys trip this year so hopefully the little guys enjoy being in the boat as much as I do and we can catch some fish this weekend. expect to hear about it soon! Cheers!

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

Fort Wisers

@T-Bone
Wow! Nice job to you and your gang!
Looking forward to seeing the pics....

Jay Thomas

1200 walleye during a week of fishing Lake Kipawa by 10 guys is indeed EPIC! One for the memory book.

Jay

Jighead

T-Bone,
Glad to hear you had a great week. Sounds like the same when my group was there 3rd week of June. Caught them all day long. Couldn't agree with you more - how to fish and location...key

BH

Sounds like an awesome trip!  Glad it went well and hope you recover from all the action.
Bob
Love fishing

Marco

Special thanks to the gentlemen from Tennessee who were in the surrounding cabins and put up with our shenanigans.  They even fed us hotdogs, cheeseburgers, walleye, corn bread and cake.  True southern hospitality!
Beer got you into this, beer will get you out

RHYBAK

Quote from: Marco on August 10, 2016, 08:44:22 AM
Special thanks to the gentlemen from Tennessee who were in the surrounding cabins and put up with our shenanigans.  They even fed us hotdogs, cheeseburgers, walleye, corn bread and cake.  True southern hospitality!

Must of been an added bonus from T-Bones cooking.
They must have felt sorry for you
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle