Cedar Valley Lodge Sept. 9 to 13

Started by Kill Switch, September 20, 2016, 04:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kill Switch

Went to CVL and visited Neno and Miryana. great people, wish the fishing was better.
I have been fishing the northern part of the lake at CVL for 6 years now and this year was tough.
We never caught our limit, not even close. We marked a ton of fish but no bite.
Bass were caught in 30 feet. Their stomachs were full of crayfish.
We caught some walleye but not many. Most were too small. Of the ones we kept we checked their stomachs and they were empty.
Walleye were caught in 35 feet. Maybe we should have been deeper?
Water temp was 74 degrees. Crazy!
I thought I was the issue, but no one at the camp was catching fish. Ran into some 3 Seasons guys and they had the same report.
It makes me jealous to read the other reports with all the success. Oh well. It was still a beautiful place to be and I miss Kipawa already.

Oarin

289, we had some of the same results. Marked tons of fish, but little interest in biting. We caught some, but not nearly what is normal. Most were right at the legal limit and went back to grow up. EVERY keeper eye we caught for our week had an empty stomach. Weather trumps ALL! The week before we were there was great. If I had a dime for every time that's happened to me over the last 25 years I could buy my own camp!! Even with the fishing slow, being on Kipawa for a week is more than enough. It's such a beautiful and peaceful place. Now the LONG wait for next July!!!!!

Jay Thomas

We experienced much the same during a 7-14 Sep trip into another lake. We didn't get on the water 2 days due to inclement weather. While we could locate fish, they weren't biting much. Those we did catch had empty stomachs. We were able to manage two meals of fresh walleye - doesn't get much better than that.

Jay

puckster_guy

That's interesting. At my end of the lake the fishing improves the later you go into the season until the turn over in October. Seems to me the northwestern part of the lake the fishing is better then mine in the spring. I have a hard time in the spring. I was out on the labor day weekend and averaged about 20 walleye every morning. I was fishing a mid lake shoal and a point. Almost all the fish were in +/-30fow. All caught on a green jig and worm.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Jay Thomas

Quote from: puckster_guy on September 21, 2016, 05:00:47 PM
I was out on the labor day weekend and averaged about 20 walleye every morning. I was fishing a mid lake shoal and a point. Almost all the fish were in +/-30fow. All caught on a green jig and worm.

Hey Puckster,

Were you vertically jigging or dragging a jig along the bottom?

Jay

puckster_guy

winds were light, mostly vertical jigging, no anchoring just drifting along. I rarely use anchors unless the spot is small or too windy.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)