Lot So Questions

Started by Hodgey1, November 30, 2016, 10:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Hello All, I am a bit wet behind the ears with fishing in the Canadian outback. My only experience has been one fly in trip, many years ago to the Reservoir Gouin. I have been asked to put together a similar trip to that, for a group of relatives in memory of my late uncle who loved to fish Canada.

My thoughts have been "in order to keep the price down" to organize a remote drive in trip. So, after much research I have kinda settled on the Kipawa area because of it being a bit more remote, yet still able to drive in, then be boated into a more remote area. Kipawa and the surrounding area, is also appealing logistically. Half our group is coming from NW Pa and half from NJ and the Kipawa area is fairly equidistant. I've also looked at Lake Ogascanan as another option. I have many questions I'm hoping the forum can help with.

1:What time of year would be the best balance of comfort, weighed against Black flies and yet still decent fishing? We are pretty open to any time from May-Sept

2:When I look at the Kipawa outfitters map on this forum, it makes the lake look possibly over crowded? Is it? If so, any suggestions for other lakes or outfitters in the same general area?

3:We are not overly set on any one particular fish species "I particularly" just want a good trip, with a decent count of fish caught. I see most of our group as novice to intermediate fishermen that will mostly be catching and releasing.  Having said all that, I see that there are small mouth in Kipawa, are their numbers decent, because we all like the fight of the smallie.

4: I guess I don't have a 4th at this time. Thanks for any help and insight in advance.
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Have been up to Lake Kipawa 17 times...here's my feedback:

1. We've been up all through the summer from early-June into early-September. Late-July / early-August is best for weather and bugs. No black flies, few mosquitoes, few other nuisance bugs. Typically wonderful weather. Warm days, cool evenings / mornings. June can be great fishing, but the bugs will drive you insane (they drive me insane, at least). Later in summer there are no bugs, but fish are transitioning and a bit harder to find.  Late-July / early-August is great weather, few bugs, and always good fishing...more on that to come.

2. Crowded? Guess that's subjective, but no...it's not a crowded lake...I don't believe...no matter where you go. If you go in June or early-July there are probably more people there at that time (fishing a bit easier, summer holidays are around that time), but it's still not what I'd call crowded.

3. Smallmouth are up in the NE end near Taggart Bay Lodge, 3 Seasons, et al. We struggled to catch a meaningful quantity of walleye in that area of the lake though, so it depends on what you're going for. Where we go (central area / Alwaki Lodge) there are no smallmouth (yet), decent pike populations, and plenty of walleye. We caught over 1,200 walleye last year across 10 of us...some of us getting over 200 each for 6 days fishing. As for novice / intermediate, I'll say this. If you know what you're doing and you know where the fish will be located depending on wind, structure, weather, etc. you should be fine. But it's no secret Kipawa does take a bit to "learn". I recall doing well our first few years up there all in the central area of the lake, but nothing like the success we enjoy on our trips recently. We know where to go and what to do based on what the conditions are...and that success can be attributed to experience on the lake.

4. Kipawa is a wonderful lake and beautiful piece of heaven on earth. No matter where you go or when, you'll love it.

239 days until I'm there again. 
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

I can't add anything to what T-Bone Stated.
The lake is not overcrowded at the north end at all.

Four  outpost camps to try out at the north end would be
3Seasons Camp
Two Moons
Smith Bay
Cedar Valley

Try any of those to try to find an opening.
Tell 3Seasons you hear it from RHYBAK
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Oarin

Hi Hodgey1, T-Bone was right on with the best times to go. Bass are better in July. He also said the most important thing for first timers to know. Kipawa is an absolutely beautiful lac, but it's not like the lakes you fish back home. Wherever you choose to go PM people on this site that go there for tips. Also, LISTEN to your outfitter as to what to use and especially how to fish it. I've seen so many 1st timers at Taggarts Bay Loodge think they know it all because they catch fish back home and they have little success. I think most of the camps on Kipawa have some form of an outpost cabin, it depends on how remote you want to get. Taggart's is 6 miles from the main camp, that has 13 cabins. It's a beautiful cabin on a point with 2 bedrooms that sleep 3 in each and futons that can sleep 2 more. As far as bass, like T-Bone said, the Taggart area does have them. My son and I don't target them but get some nice ones each year. Good luck, and let us know where you chose to go. I'll try to add a few pics of Taggart's outpost. I know T-Bone stayed at Whispering Pines at Alwaki Lodge, which is also a large beautiful cabin.  Oarin.[

Hodgey1

I really appreciate all of the quick input from everyone. I'm in the process of contacting my group now in order to pin them down on when to go.  Going with Tbones suggestion, I'm going to steer the group toward late July-August for our week of fishing.

thanks for clearing up my thoughts on crowding, sound like Kipawa is a beautiful place. I am very much looking forward to exploring  and fishing in Canada again, it's been too long since my last trip.
Walleye Rock!

Canuckbass

@Hodgey1
I've been to Kipawa about a dozen or more times now, crowding is not an issue and one of the reasons I enjoy going.
I stay near Alwaki in central area and a ton of walleye and trout to be caught. They move around but once you locate them you'll get your limits easily.
Bugs can be thick, if you have a choice go after the critters are gone.
Kipawa is so peaceful!

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on November 30, 2016, 03:05:27 PMGood luck, and let us know where you chose to Oarin.
Oarin,
Great pictures, where is that cabin?

Hodgey1
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quote from: Canuckbass on December 01, 2016, 04:49:05 PM
@Hodgey1
I've been to Kipawa about a dozen or more times now, crowding is not an issue and one of the reasons I enjoy going.
I stay near Alwaki in central area and a ton of walleye and trout to be caught. They move around but once you locate them you'll get your limits easily.
Kipawa is so peaceful!
CB,
Thanks for the input, I feel confident now that Kipawa is a valid choice from all the great posts. What's your favorite time to go/skip the critters?

Hodgey1
Walleye Rock!

johnny walleye

I always got week of july or first week in aug.

Canuckbass

Quote from: Hodgey1 on December 01, 2016, 08:23:11 PM
Quote from: Canuckbass on December 01, 2016, 04:49:05 PM
@Hodgey1
Kipawa is so peaceful!
CB,
Thanks for the input, I feel confident now that Kipawa is a valid choice from all the great posts. What's your favorite time to go/skip the critters?

Hodgey1

I have use of friends lodge so I am lucky I can venture up all season. For warm days and swimming August is nice, for good fishing, weather and no critters early September is hard to beat.

Oarin

Hodgey1, that's Taggart Bay Lodge's outpost cabin. You drive for about 20 minutes down a good dirt road from the little town of Laniel, which is a little less than an hour from Temiscaming, into Taggarts main camp and then 6 miles by boat the the cabin.   T-Bone said the fishing is better near the central part of the lake, and it very well may be, but if you listen to the people who have been going to the Taggart area you'll get fish, but you really can't go wrong on any of the camps mentioned. The lac is absolutely beautiful.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on December 02, 2016, 12:54:03 PM
Hodgey1, that's Taggart Bay Lodge's outpost cabin. You drive for about 20 minutes down a good dirt road from the little town of Laniel, which is a little less than an hour from Temiscaming, into Taggarts main camp and then 6 miles by boat the the cabin.  T-Bone said the fishing is better near the central part of the lake, and it very well may be, but if you listen to the people who have been going to the Taggart area you'll get fish, but you really can't go wrong on any of the camps mentioned. The lac is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks Oarin for the information. Nice pics!
Walleye Rock!

Oarin

Hodgey, if you go to trip reports and to the master trip index you can get info on many of the outfitters on the lake. It might help narrow your search.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on December 02, 2016, 02:57:38 PM
Hodgey, if you go to trip reports and to the master trip index you can get info on many of the outfitters on the lake. It might help narrow your search.

I will take a look at the index, thanks Oarin.

I am getting very excited about a week in Kipawa. I wish I had a firm plan so we could start a count down! I'm suggesting to my group that we think about a late July early august trip.
Walleye Rock!

Oarin

Hodgey, my son and I go the 3rd week of July. We usually only fish evening and have always done well. I also take a trip in late August. The bugs are gone, but the fish can be harder to find. Where ever you choose to go you should PM someone who goes there about tips. Don't forget that what works back home probably won't work as well at Kipawa.  It's a magical place, once you go you be "hooked!"