Appropriate size Electric motor

Started by ziggy6, December 29, 2016, 09:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy6

Happy Holidays!    Well my friends and I booked our second trip to Ogascanan Lodge this coming June which we're very excited about. Discussion has been going on between us on what to improve on and what to leave behind. One of the considerations was obtaining an electric outboard to use for re positioning after drifting an shoal. I'm not sure of the size motor I would need ? a 40 or 50 pound thrust? or a 12 or 24 volt...  we are using the lodges boats .. any opinions and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Also how long with a charge last ( roughly) if we just use it to reposition? 
thanks  Ziggy

Greg

Assuming the lodge boats are standard lodge boats - 14 or 16 foot aluminium (or even wood) with simple bench seats - a 12 volt / 40 lb would be fine - you really only need the 24 volt and higher lb thrust for larger boats (like an 17 foot full hull/carpet/dash/windshield).

Cheers, Greg

RHYBAK

Quote from: Greg on December 30, 2016, 07:05:16 AM
Assuming the lodge boats are standard lodge boats - 14 or 16 foot aluminium (or even wood) with simple bench seats - a 12 volt / 40 lb would be fine - you really only need the 24 volt and higher lb thrust for larger boats (like an 17 foot full hull/carpet/dash/windshield).

Cheers, Greg

Hmmmmm
Something like your new boat? ;D
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Greg

Yep, and my old boat also had the 24volt - I think it was a 70lb thrust, but could be wrong, and it was actually plenty powerful.

I've had a buddy with smaller tracker bass boats with a 40hp motor and it went as fast as my old boat (which had a 90hp). He had a single battery 12 volt and 40lb thrust and it was totally adequate. 

Ziggy6 - I think for a lodge boat, going anything beyond minimum would be overkill.

RHYBAK

I agree, especially if your only using it to get back on spot.

One battery is enough to lug around.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

ziggy6

Captain Hali

Keep in mind, that if you are going to be in one of the outpost cabins, and your battery is run down, you will not have enough juice available to recharge your battery.Best check with Brad or Jeremy.

Jay Thomas

You can rent a portable generator (e.g. 2000 watts) from Brad and Ginny to run the electric lights in remote cabins or recharge deep cycle batteries. Since you can not recharge deep cycle batteries directly off a generator, you'll need to bring a battery charger. My Honda EU2000i generator goes on all fishing trips where there's no electricity.

Jay

SgtCrabby

I use a 32lb thrust 12 volt trolling motor.  About as inexpensive as you'll find. I take 1 deep cycle battery, its charge has made it through the week,  so I quite hauling a charger with me.

I figure if the battery dies;  no big deal.

ziggy6

Ok now comes the hard part... now I need to convince the better half that this motor is needed and not just another one of my toys...:)    looking forward to my trip already!

T

Great post.  I am planning on buying an electric motor myself this year. Thank you for the information

Jay Thomas

Quote from: SgtCrabby on January 01, 2017, 09:05:00 PM
I use a 32lb thrust 12 volt trolling motor.  About as inexpensive as you'll find. I take 1 deep cycle battery, its charge has made it through the week,  so I quite hauling a charger with me. I figure if the battery dies;  no big deal.

How big (i.e. amp hours) is your battery?

Jay

SgtCrabby

Just 625 cold cranking amps.
We don't use the electric motor much, mostly final positioning after getting into area with main outboard.

Last year the charger was forgotten in my truck when we packed out for the outpost camp;  had it, but didn't need it.

jbsmitty

Well said,fished forever with 7.5 hp evenrude before minkota auto pilot.For most of the time its hard to beat electric but on kipawa when the wind blows its hard to use.

ziggy6

I ended up purchasing a 45 lb thrust motor ...now I've been looking for a battery. Sgt Crabby  I'm thinking I will use the motor the same way you did get to the spot with outboard...drift ... and re position with electric motor...