Re-power question

Started by mcsteve, January 31, 2017, 10:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcsteve

Gerry once told me I shouldn't own a boat, since my luck with hitting stuff in the water is probably worst than most.  This was proven once again last year when I hit a submerged rock that should have been deeper than it was, or maybe I shouldn't have been so close to shore but why would I admit to that :).  Anyway, that incident facilitated a replacement of the bottom end of my 2012 Merc 115 on my Legend 20 Xcaliber.  To my surprise, Merc's lack of parts for a 2012 kept me out of the water for the season since they did not deliver the new bottom end until Thanksgiving weekend.  Just in time to wrap it and put it away. Needless to say I am no longer a fan of Merc for leaving me stranded without my 4 year old main power for a full season.

At the Toronto boat show I decided to re-power the boat with a new Yamaha F150.  This will get me into the power level I think is more suited to my hull as well as away from Merc for my main power.  This also gave me the excuse to move into hydraulic steering and away from the cable system originally installed, which will be much easier on my auto pilot system.  After making the decision, I started to think about my kicker.  I have a Merc 9.9 - 4 stroke electric start with the EZ Steer rod so I can control it through the steering wheel.  I don't have a throttle control at the console, just the tiller throttle control (manual).  It has run great since purchase.

My question is, is there anything that should be considered in keeping the Merc kicker or is there a reason I should consider changing it out to a Yamaha as well?  There are not any mechanical issues that I can see that would require changing, except maybe the EZ Steer due to the hydraulic steering but that would be the case regardless of the motor brand. 

I look forward to your comments.

RHYBAK

Have you considered getting a better Fishfinder/GPS that might show you the rocks before you hit them ;D

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

mcsteve

LOL, I have actually, but that would also generate the question of "should I get reading glasses so I can see the screen?"

puckster_guy

I'd keep the kicker, more for the trouble and expense of replacing it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Send Merc an e-mail with a picture of your new motor saying why you made the switch, They probably won't give a rats ass but it's a good way of sticking it to them. I did that to a car dealer once. He was trying to screw me on the price of a 3 year old car. I showed him my similar car for 5k less then what he was asking. He was none too happy but I made my point.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Jay Thomas

Having spent 17 weeks fishing out of 3 Seasons Camp over 14 years, I'm well aware that there are numerous unmarked rocks. Rather than having to look at the screen continuously to try to avoid such hazards, why not just set your shallow water alarm to an appropriate depth (e.g. 6 feet). I wouldn't change out your kicker motor if it runs as well as you say.

Jay

Canuckbass

115hp is way under powered for that rig, you'll enjoy thee 150hp much more.
No use changing kicker unless they give you a good trade in value.

mcsteve

So I was talking to the "better half" last night and she also reminded me that there was nothing wrong with the kicker and asked "do you just want them to look the same?"  I guess I've known the answer but was looking for a reason to switch them both to be Yamaha.  She then reminded me that, if I don't change the kicker, perhaps I can afford more fuel to be on the water this year to make up for the lost time last year.  She is such a smart girl :)

Canuckbass, the 115 was OK but you are pretty close in that it just did not have the punch I had hoped for.  I did switch the prop to a 4 blade which made an huge difference.  It was like riding on rails after that.  I could never understand why the dealer talked me out of the 150, which is what I originally wanted to power it with, and convinced me that the 115 would be best.  Perhaps he had several boats already paired with 115 and would not need to re-order.  I'll never know.

Puckster, through all of this I had many discussions with Merc head office as well as the dealer, but the Merc rep for Ontario has not once contacted me even though I specifically requested it through their HO and the dealer.  Even at the first Saturday of the boat show I gave them one last chance, told them I was there to re-power the boat and was considering Yamaha.  After not hearing from anyone through the week I decided on the Yamaha (who called me twice through the week) but then had an email from Legend last Sunday afternoon after returning from buying the Yamaha.  Apparently it took Merc a week to get back to him and "mentioned something along the line of additional warranty coverage" for me.  The Yamaha actually cost me less than what Legend offered with the "special considerations" Jeff from Legend had thrown in for me.  I did reply to Jeff letting him know it was too little too late, I had bought the Yamaha.  Maybe your suggestion of the pic after it is installed, sent to both Merc and Legend will be my last dig.

Anyway, I'll be keeping the 9.9 as you guys pointed out, it is a great performer, has caused me no grief and likely won't.  Thanks for the feedback.

BTW, I'll be posting a gently used Merc 115 for sale.  Complete with a brand new bottom end and new prop :)

Canuckbass

I worked in sales for marine for a few years, no salesman will talk you out of putting the maximum HP allowed. Boats perform best at their max HP.
You are correct, typical Legend advertises low prices and under power their rigs and must have had a few ready to go. To much work for salesman to swap out motor and went for quick sales commission.
Glad you upgraded and you'll love the difference. Max HP is always safer if you need the power stuck in a major storm.

puckster_guy

Go figure eh Mcsteve? In my opinion no company can afford to lose a customer for any reason. Not only do you lose him but likely his friends too. I'm driving a 90hp Suzuki on a 17.5 foot Crestliner fish hawk. The tub I bought in 1999 and is showing it's age. NP I'll redo the interior this year or next. I once had a problem with nuts falling off due to vibration. Crestliner sent me some new hardware and an apology. I was very impressed. My next boat will be a Crestliner. My motor is a 2003, as most know around here I lost my lower unit and had to get it replaced. They shipped one from Japan and I was back in the water in 2 months. Outside of that it has performed flawlessly. It'll troll all day long at 2 mph and hardly burn any gas. based on that my next motor will be a Suzuki. Both helped me out when I needed them. What a novelty eh? Maybe I got lucky, dunno but I will recommend these guys.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

mcsteve

My problem now is, let's get rid if this white stuff and the hard water so I can take my new engine out for a spin.

RHYBAK

Quote from: mcsteve on February 01, 2017, 10:40:04 PM
My problem now is, let's get rid if this white stuff and the hard water so I can take my new engine out for a spin.

Hahahahaha... I'm with you on that one.
My new boat is in storage.
I only saw it for 20 minutes, bought it and kissed it goodbye until late march, mid April

SgtCrabby

Hey RHYBAK,  have you made friends with your new boat yet?

You should have soft water now to test it out on.

RHYBAK

Quote from: SgtCrabby on May 08, 2017, 11:19:41 PM
Hey RHYBAK,  have you made friends with your new boat yet?

You should have soft water now to test it out on.

Not yet
One more rainbow trout trip , then the boat