Red Pine Chute - Update

Started by Northbound, April 29, 2017, 10:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northbound

Folks, Red Pine Chute is officially under construction. It has been for several weeks. No more flat tires, damaged suspension or broken spleens....

puckster_guy

I'll second that. It was/is nicely torn up last week. Being widened and smoothed out much like Maniwaki. The bridge over the Chutes will remain one lane tho. My jeep and kidneys thank you.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Oarin

Reminds me of the old Road to Clova in the Gouin Reservoir on the way to Martins Camp. Not a fun trip.

Jay Thomas

Thanks for the pictures puckster_guy. I'll be traveling that road in early Sep.

Jay

RHYBAK

Look for honey mushrooms along the side of the road in the fall.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

puckster_guy

NP Jay, I'll keep you guys updated as the season goes on.Gonna be nice when they're done.

puckster_guy

Quote from: RHYBAK on May 01, 2017, 08:50:44 AM

I see many kinds of mushrooms on my lot. prob is I have no idea which are good to eat or not. I got a couple of Polish and Ukrainian friends at work that said they'd show me. I've never had wild mushrooms, these guys go hunting for them in the local forests.

RHYBAK

Quote from: puckster_guy on May 01, 2017, 10:29:30 PM
Quote from: RHYBAK on May 01, 2017, 08:50:44 AM

I see many kinds of mushrooms on my lot. prob is I have no idea which are good to eat or not. I got a couple of Polish and Ukrainian friends at work that said they'd show me. I've never had wild mushrooms, these guys go hunting for them in the local forests.
Yep
Take either one of them.
I pick one kind of wild mushroom every year.
http://kipawafishingforum.net/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=109

Delicious
I pick the honey mushroom

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Captain Hali

A word of advice when picking wild mushrooms........As the saying goes, there are bold mushroom hunters, and there are old mushroom hunters........ but there are NO, old bold mushroom hunters. Learn all you can from an old mushroom hunter. Get yourself a good reference book with photographs, and abide by the rule, if in doubt, throw it out. A world of gastronomic treasures grow in our forests and fields such as Morels, Chanterelle, Bollets, Lobster Mushrooms, Oyster Mushrooms, Chicken of the Woods, to name a few of my favorites. An excellent field guide is David Arora's Mushrooms Demystified. Happy Shrooming. 

Jig and drift

Really interested in this road project. That is a twisty mess through that section as we head into Dumoine each year. How long does something like that take or better yet is there a projected completion time?  Other than the people who have been on it, or will be in the weeks and months to come, is there any way to follow the progress of this?

Fishn Deep

Oarin I'll 2nd that. Brings back memories the Clova Road to Martin's on the Gouin or as we called it the highway to h#!!.
Don't miss that trip and the fishing is just as good in the Kipawa region.

puckster_guy

Quote from: Captain Hali on May 02, 2017, 11:32:49 AM
A word of advice when picking wild mushrooms........As the saying goes, there are bold mushroom hunters, and there are old mushroom hunters........ but there are NO, old bold mushroom hunters. Learn all you can from an old mushroom hunter. Get yourself a good reference book with photographs, and abide by the rule, if in doubt, throw it out. A world of gastronomic treasures grow in our forests and fields such as Morels, Chanterelle, Bollets, Lobster Mushrooms, Oyster Mushrooms, Chicken of the Woods, to name a few of my favorites. An excellent field guide is David Arora's Mushrooms Demystified. Happy Shrooming.

Thx Cap'n gonna do some research on it sounds interesting.

Oarin

Fishn Deep, that trip was 7 hours of absolute torture. One of our vehicles broke a tie rod on the way in. We had to bind it together with baling wire and pray for good luck! Back then we brought a chain saw in case we had to fix a bridge!! I remember there was a hamburg stand about half way in, really in the middle of no where, man, what a welcome sight that was! I went to Martins twice, the first was my first trip to Quebec. After that everything else for the last 27 years of trips to Quebec has been easy. Pete and his wife were good hosts, but you're right, the fishing is as good or better at Kipawa. I hear there's a new road in that is much better. 73 more days!!! Oarin.

RickOnt

Newbie question!  I just moved into my camp on Lake Temiscaming last August So I am learning the area.

Where is The Red Pine Chutes road you are referring to?

Thanks
Rick
"Making Memories"

puckster_guy

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.8347806,-78.6115056,9668m/data=!3m1!1e3

The white line running north south along the lake(kipawa) is red pine chutes road (Chamin de la pin rouge) It takes me to my camp and ends at the Bearne road. This road has always been a nasty piece of work. At the marker on the map is a bridge over the red pine chutes (rapids) That's roughly where my camp is. It's the extreme east end of lake Kipawa.