Camp food

Started by Hodgey1, May 09, 2017, 12:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonJoe

We usually bring a few pre-made frozen things like meatballs or chili or something like that; but we have two of our guys that like to do the cooking so we leave it to them!  Oh and at least three of our meals are fresh walleye...frankly, I can grill a steak at home. :)
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

RHYBAK

our group of five consists of one chef and three hobby cooks.
We don't mind it.
We bring all fresh and frozen ingredients.

There is nothing else to do between 4 and six but prepare dinner and drink which can be done in unison.
6 we eat.
6:30 we are out , heading to the fishing grounds.

No problems.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hodgey1

Quote from: Hodgey1 on May 10, 2017, 11:11:22 AM

Quote from: T-Bone on May 10, 2017, 07:13:05 AM
Same goes for beer. If you're only taking in a few cases, should be okay getting in Temiscaming at Stop 102, Petro Canada, or IGA. If you're loading up on  'multiple' cases like 6-8, better plan accordingly and hedge you're get with Duty Free beer or get some in Ontario.  I'll see you there....

Beer is a issue for me........ I love it and where I live they are producing amazing beers locally. I'm not a beer snob/a_ s, I just really want to be on vacation/fishing with beer I love and enjoy. I am going to cross the border with at least what I can legally bring, duty free, unless otherwise directed here by the forum.

Here is what I think I know about crossing the boader with beer, please chime in if I am off base.

You can bring 8.5 liters of beer per person across to Canada duty free. 8.5 liters = 287 US ounces = 23.92 cans of beer or around one case per person? Sound right?
Walleye Rock!

john c

Hodgey, You are correct.  You can take 1 24 pack of beer per person across the border duty free (12 oz.)

john c
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

Hodgey1

Quote from: john c on May 10, 2017, 03:04:28 PM
Hodgey, You are correct.  You can take 1 24 pack of beer per person across the border duty free (12 oz.)

Does anyone have experience bringing more than a case of beer per person across and declaring and paying duty? If so, how much of a hassle/potential delay does it cause?
Walleye Rock!

Oarin

Hodgey, why go through all that, just buy the beer in Temiscaming, it's not that much more $, if any at all with the exchange rate so good. The last thing you want to do, especially on yor first trip, is waste time in Canadian Customs.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on May 10, 2017, 08:51:56 PM
Hodgey, why go through all that, just buy the beer in Temiscaming, it's not that much more $, if any at all with the exchange rate so good. The last thing you want to do, especially on yor first trip, is waste time in Canadian Customs.

Oarin, I have a few different locally made beers I would like to bring and enjoy while there for a week. If it's a major problem, I will skip it and suck it up, but once you discover that there's more than just pale lagers to be drank in the world of beer, it's hard to go back. I love a molsons or a labbats on occasion, but would rather a Two Hearted Ale IPA  :D
Walleye Rock!

Canuckbass

Quote from: Hodgey1 on May 10, 2017, 09:07:40 PM
Quote from: Oarin on May 10, 2017, 08:51:56 PM

Oarin, I have a few different locally made beers I would like to bring and enjoy while there for a week. If it's a major problem, I will skip it and suck it up, but once you discover that there's more than just pale lagers to be drank in the world of beer, it's hard to go back. I love a molsons or a labbats on occasion, but would rather a Two Hearted Ale IPA  :D

There are like 200 craft breweries in Ontario now. Look into Sawdust City or Muskoka Brewery, you drive right passed them on Hwy 11 and both less then five mins off the highway. Both make several great beers and awesome IPAs.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Canuckbass on May 10, 2017, 11:49:47 PM
There are like 200 craft breweries in Ontario now. Look into Sawdust City or Muskoka Brewery, you drive right passed them on Hwy 11 and both less then five mins off the highway. Both make several great beers and awesome IPAs.

CBass, good advice, on that note, I just now went onto the Temiscaming IGA web site and looked at their craft beer selection and it was pretty darn good. So what I think I'm going to do is, bring one case per person from home and buy the balance at the IGA.
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Quote from: Hodgey1 on May 11, 2017, 07:23:28 AM
Quote from: Canuckbass on May 10, 2017, 11:49:47 PM

CBass, good advice, on that note, I just now went onto the Temiscaming IGA web site and looked at their craft beer selection and it was pretty darn good. So what I think I'm going to do is, bring one case per person from home and buy the balance at the IGA.

Excellent call

Hodgey1

Quote from: RHYBAK on May 11, 2017, 07:26:23 AM

Excellent call

This forum is a awesome resource for us newbies, Thanks everyone here helping out!
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Now I feel I have a handle on what I'll do for food and beer, So this might be taking my own thread side ways, but I love to smoke a cigar or two while consuming beer, I've never had the pleasure of smoking a Cuban. I understand such contraband here in the states is perfectly legal in Canada. I would like to purchase a few "10-12"  Where is my best/easiest place to purchase a few quality Cuban cigars on our way. We will be crossing in the Buffalo NY area and heading north via QEW to 407 to 400 to 11.

Does the Duty free carry them? Are they available at the IGA? 
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

LOL... Now your really getting technical.

You might have to google that one.

They might have them at Duty free?
I have a shop in Port Credit, Ontario that will ship to you.
He could even ship them to your resort operator and they will be waiting for you upon your arrival.

limacharley

How Presidential of you guys...!
Craft beer and Cuban cigars...jeeez.

Do you bring a massage table too?
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T-Bone

The sheer volume of beer we consume has required us to be creative over the years. This year I expect we'll go through about 16-18 cases...maybe a bit more. Last year was just silly and I won't offer that number...but we caught more fish than ever. Correlation? Maybe. We love that CDN frothy beery yummy amber-colored liquid.

Duty Free has cigars...expensive if I recall correctly. Don't ever remember Cubans per se...but Dominicans...etc.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once