Camp food

Started by Hodgey1, May 09, 2017, 12:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackers42

Hodgey,

Take it from someone who lives in the GTA (Southern Ontario region).

On plenty occasions it has taken over 4 hours to go from Toronto to Barrie which is generally less than an hour and sometimes more.

Don't consider the 400 out of Toronton on a Friday anytime after noon hour any day after May 1st you will regret it.

You may even get caught on a Thursday if you are late enough in the day in the summer months.

You also have to be careful with the QEW if you are coming from Niagra you will easily get caught on that road also at the wrong time of day around Hamilton.

In terms of hotels you wont find one north of North of North Bay until you hit Quebec and you wont find many decent ones on the 400 or 11 between Orillia to North Bay unless you go off into Gravenhurst / Huntsville etc. and you wont like the price.

Hope this helps.

RHYBAK

Quote from: Hodgey1 on May 30, 2017, 02:41:00 PM
Quote from: T-Bone on May 30, 2017, 12:33:35 PM
Hodgey...where you staying Friday night?

Not sure yet, we were thinking Northbay and possibly further North than that.

Wow

Don't go into Tamiscaming without a reservation.
Do you realize how many Americans and Ontario fishermen are going into Kipawa on any given Saturday and most look for rooms in town on Friday night to get the early Saturday start.

Get A Room.
No Bull
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Canuckbass

400 traffic!! Dealt with it for years... Always told my boss "one day I'm just going to stay and live north". That day came in 2004!
Be through Barrie before early afternoon.

I sure don't miss that traffic, only traffic I see going to work is if there's another boat at ramp before me.

Hodgey1

Quote from: crackers42 on May 30, 2017, 03:39:58 PM
On plenty occasions it has taken over 4 hours to go from Toronto to Barrie which is generally less than an hour and sometimes more.

Don't consider the 400 out of Toronton on a Friday anytime after noon hour any day after May 1st you will regret it.

You may even get caught on a Thursday if you are late enough in the day in the summer months.

Thanks Crackers! Good information.

Quote from: RHYBAK on May 30, 2017, 04:13:48 PM
Wow

Don't go into Tamiscaming without a reservation.
Do you realize how many Americans and Ontario fishermen are going into Kipawa on any given Saturday and most look for rooms in town on Friday night to get the early Saturday start.

Get A Room.
No Bull

As you probably already know RY, this is our first trip to Kipawa, so I had no idea what a zoo of people traveling North would be, so this is all good information that I am learning and will adjust our plans accordingly.

Quote from: Canuckbass on May 30, 2017, 05:25:46 PM
400 traffic!! Dealt with it for years... Always told my boss "one day I'm just going to stay and live north". That day came in 2004!
Be through Barrie before early afternoon.

Thanks Cbass for the input
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

If prior to 1:00 pm on Friday is the target to be North of Barrie, is there a time later in the day/evening when traffic lets up again? Say 8:00pm?
Walleye Rock!

crackers42

Depends on the day.  I wouldn't attempt north of Toronto on any Friday in the summer after 1:00 pm.

Generally you are fine anytime after 6:00.

I would stay away from Friday after 1:00 pm that being said Saturday morning in the summer can ben bad also.

JigginFool

I've been stuck in the traffic north of Toronto and never again if I can help it.  We now try to get on the road between 4:00-4:30 AM Saturday morning and across the Peace Bridge by 5:00 AM, last year we made it to camp around 1:00 PM.