Camp food

Started by Hodgey1, May 09, 2017, 12:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

This is our first year going to Kipawa, we will be at Alwaki lodge for 7 days. As I am a cook and want to be lazy on vacation, I am contemplating preparing all meals ahead frozen, in disposable aluminum 1/2 sheet pans, including breakfasts. Anyone else doing such a thing and will I have issues at the border with a cooler full of frozen prepared meals?
Walleye Rock!

SgtCrabby

We've taken some meals frozen this way. We haven't had any issues with frozen panned food to date (fingers crossed). 

@limacharley may have better insight on the subject.

Balsams

Aaggghhhh. Go big with meals, spend the time making it...spoil yourselves.

Phil Indablank

One of our favorite parts of the trip is preparing great meals.  I don't think I would enjoy the meals as much if they were pre made and frozen.  Then again I am not a cook by trade and can understand if you wouldn't want to cook on vacation!

Oarin

These are a few of our meals. We eat VERY well!

Hodgey1

Quote from: SgtCrabby on May 09, 2017, 01:25:44 PM
We've taken some meals frozen this way. We haven't had any issues with frozen panned food to date (fingers crossed). 
@limacharley may have better insight on the subject.

Thanks for the inputs!

Quote from: Balsams on May 09, 2017, 01:49:46 PM
Aaggghhhh. Go big with meals, spend the time making it...spoil yourselves.

I agree, good point.

Quote from: Phil Indablank on May 09, 2017, 04:58:52 PM
One of our favorite parts of the trip is preparing great meals.  I don't think I would enjoy the meals as much if they were pre made and frozen.  Then again I am not a cook by trade and can understand if you wouldn't want to cook on vacation!

I don't cook for a living, just a hobbyist. I agree freshly prepared would be better, but I've been on trips where I felt like a slave to the rest waiting to be fed. Maybe a mix would be good, some froze, some fresh. I love cooking, but I also love be waited on, I see the premade allowing me a bit of both.

Quote from: Oarin on May 09, 2017, 05:29:05 PMThese are a few of our meals. We eat VERY well!

Very well is a huge understatement!!! How do you get all of that into camp? That food looks great.

Walleye Rock!

Oarin

We vacuum seal almost everything. It fits much better that way. We bring all the proteins from home where we know what we're getting.  This year were looking to have 2 steak and shrimp dinners, 1 lamb chop, 1 pork chop, 1 pork loin, 1 shrimp jambalaya, and wings at the camp picnic. The sides we'll pick up at the Temiscaming IGA. My son, Phil Indablank, is a heck of a cook! He cooks, I do all the clean up. Works great for us.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on May 09, 2017, 08:28:15 PM
This year were looking to have 2 steak and shrimp dinners, 1 lamb chop, 1 pork chop, 1 pork loin, 1 shrimp jambalaya, and wings at the camp picnic.

Oarin, I want in, Great menu!
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Is getting food into Alwaki any kind of problem?
Walleye Rock!

Fishn Deep

Just don't try sneaking any potatoes across the border!

In the last 5 years we decided to take some premade items frozen a few days ahead of time like lasagna, green bean casserole, Mac and Cheese, etc. Basically dinner items so we can just put in the oven and heat up after fishing late. In June it stays light so long that it's 9 o'clock or later when we get in and we all like to fish more than cooking.

Breakfast is fresh daily with eggs, bacon, sausage, and fried potatoes. This year wild boar sausage will be making the journey.

Meats and of course fish dinners are all done on site.

Muchadoaboutnothin

Can not prepackaged our meals as walleye and or pike are the main course. We bring very little else, I guess it makes us fish a little harder....

T-Bone

No issue bringing food into Alwaki; compartmentalizing makes transport easier though...coolers....tubs...etc. I'll offer this on the subject.

I'm with Oarin...I strongly suggest you take in at least your meats. We've been burned before getting our meats in either Ontario or Quebec. Selection is usually very limited, and the quality of the cuts is not what you're likely used to in the states. Pushing your perishables shopping until you get to Temiscaming is fine, but don't wait and hope the cut of meat you want is there. If you're general, could be okay...like you want 'steak'. But if you're looking for ribeye or strip or filet versus just 'beef', you're rolling the dice.

Same goes for beer. If you're only taking in a few cases, should be okay getting in Temiscaming at Stop 102, Petro Canada, or IGA. If you're loading up on  'multiple' cases like 6-8, better plan accordingly and hedge you're get with Duty Free beer or get some in Ontario.

We've never pre-made food and froze it to bring in; too much hassle...but I know many live by that method. If you keep the menu simple and ask that others pitch-in for every meal, you should be able to enjoy some quiet time. I'll see you there....

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Ira

We'll be planning meals for our second trip in the coming weeks. I imagine we'll do similar to last year. For our four-day trip, we cooked and froze meals that could be easily reheated in camp - sausage and peppers, pulled pork, jambalaya. these meals were usually late night, after we returned from chasing the evening bite. For lunches, we also brought along some frozen steaks for on the grill, and fresh fish, of course.

We picked up liquor at the duty free, beer & perishables at the IGA.

Can't wait for this year's excursion!

Balsams

Oarin, I've said it before...you and your son know what to do. Can't go wrong with BBQ meat...bagged salad is a good choice as it's quick. Hodgy, I would much rather do the cooking than the clean up. Maybe the combination fresh and frozen is the way to go. Anyone ever pop a turkey in the oven or a big prime rib? Always wanted to try.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Fishn Deep on May 09, 2017, 09:17:10 PM
In the last 5 years we decided to take some premade items frozen a few days ahead of time like lasagna, green bean casserole, Mac and Cheese, etc. Basically dinner items so we can just put in the oven and heat up after fishing late.

That's kinda what I'm thinking, lasagna and such for a few meals and then "to not be out done by Oarin" ;D I must bring some fresh/frozen meat.

Quote from: Muchadoaboutnothin on May 09, 2017, 11:47:08 PM
Can not prepackaged our meals as walleye and or pike are the main course. We bring very little else, I guess it makes us fish a little harder....

Oh man, fresh walleye sounds great!

Quote from: T-Bone on May 10, 2017, 07:13:05 AM
No issue bringing food into Alwaki; compartmentalizing makes transport easier though...coolers....tubs...etc.

Good tips T-Bone

I'm with Oarin...I strongly suggest you take in at least your meats.

I going to plan on doing that, with that advise. Oarins steak looks hard to beat! ;)

Same goes for beer. If you're only taking in a few cases, should be okay getting in Temiscaming at Stop 102, Petro Canada, or IGA. If you're loading up on  'multiple' cases like 6-8, better plan accordingly and hedge you're get with Duty Free beer or get some in Ontario.  I'll see you there....

Beer is a issue for me........ I love it and where I live they are producing amazing beers locally. I'm not a beer snob/a_ s, I just really want to be on vacation/fishing with beer I love and enjoy. I am going to cross the border with at least what I can legally bring, duty free, unless otherwise directed here by the forum.

I'll see you there....

I look forward to meeting you and your group, should be a fun week! ;D
Walleye Rock!