Anyone use floating jigs?

Started by Nancy, June 05, 2017, 03:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nancy

I was going through my tackle box, and found some floater jigs. Thought I might give them a whirl this year. Anyone use them or have any tips?

RHYBAK

I have them but have never used them.
I would put a few weights about a foot up and drag it along the bottom so that it's about 6" off bottom.
Right in Mr. Walleye face.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T

I use to use them all the time.  I caught a lot of fish with them.  We have been going later in July as of late.  They just don't seem to work as well that late in the year.

Fishn Deep

Have some but never used them.  The  regular jigs w work so no excuse to try them. Maybe this year will be different.

Muchadoaboutnothin

We've used them with bottom bouncers. ( I use a stringer hook also) We use about a 6 foot leader attached to the bouncer. They are our go to when fishing gets tough. One of us will use a floater and, one will either use a Lindy rig, or go totally opposite and use a jigging rap. Once someone get couple we'll hone in on what's working.

BH

Have used them off and on trolling with a rig similar to a carolina rig with success.  Use a three way swivel, one of the lines off the swivel is apx. 8 inches long and attach some split shot weights (add great flexibility depending on depth fishing and speed).  The other line with a 2 - 3ft. leader attached to your jig.  This way if you get hung up on the bottom, the worst that will happen is that you will lose the split shot and you won't have re-rig.
Love fishing

johnny walleye

I HAVE TROLL WITH THEM MIXED RESULTS.

SgtCrabby

I have some, have used them; 
but I didn't have any luck with them.

Ira

I got a few from a gift subscription to Mystery Tackle Box. Will give them a try in 3 weeks - maybe w/ a drop shot kind of rig?

Rhybak - you'd put the weights above the jig, then let the jig float up from the bottom?

Nancy

Thank you for the info. According to T, we may be a little late for them. I may give them a whirl for grins and chuckles or just to laugh at myself. :D

RHYBAK

Quote from: Ira on June 06, 2017, 05:10:00 PM
I got a few from a gift subscription to Mystery Tackle Box. Will give them a try in 3 weeks - maybe w/ a drop shot kind of rig?

Rhybak - you'd put the weights above the jig, then let the jig float up from the bottom?

Ira.
Think about it.
The weight sits on bottom and the jig head will float off of bottom .
The height off bottom will depend on the distance from the weight.
Isn't that the whole idea of floating jig heads.

T-Bone

Yep....that's how I have fished them in the past with a fair-bit of success. Good for conditions when the fish are in relatively shallow water (<12') and moving through the bottom 7'. Use as little weight as possible and let the jig glide through the water on a cast and retrieve. Hook-up on 'ol wally....
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

The sky must be falling.
Chalk up another one where T-Bone agrees with me ;D ;D ;D ;D

8 days

Ira

Yeah, I get it now. I was thinking they'd float up from the weights attached to the bottom of the line. Your method give the jig more freedom to move around.

Will definitely give this a try. Thanks, Rhybak & T-Bone

Will be out on Lake O 3 weeks from today!

BryanKale

Quote from: T-Bone on June 07, 2017, 09:07:41 AM
Yep....that's how I have fished them in the past with a fair-bit of success. Good for conditions when the fish are in relatively shallow water (<12') and moving through the bottom 7'. Use as little weight as possible and let the jig glide through the water on a cast and retrieve. Hook-up on 'ol wally....

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep this in mind.