News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Bush Country Camp 6/10 to 17

Started by fishtildark, June 23, 2017, 03:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishtildark

I have tried to send a report a couple times and got interrupted so may be the third time is a charm.
Jack and I returned  a week ago from another excellent fishing experience at BCC . The Friday trip up was uneventful which is always good. We took the advice of several of the board posters and bought the duty free beer and topped off the supply at the IGA in Temiscaming. on Friday evening we met a group from eastern Pa at the motel who were going to BCC for the first time. Tried to answer some of the questions everyone has when making the trip to a new place but also , you try not to build a place up too much because it is fishing and sometimes they have their own ideas .Saturday mornings breakfast at the Temrose found us talking to two gentlemen at the next table who turned out to be Captain Crappie and Commander Bluegill.great conversation and a  pleasure meeting you guys. it was only a matter of time til we ran into someone from the Kipawa fishing forum. Makes me wonder how many others that have passed by without knowing.
The trip out to camp was a little smoother than normal with the work being done on the Red pine chute road. The grading helps but also reveals other boulders and we took our time anyway, just enjoying the ride. We were met at the launch by ... BUGS and then by Norm. This was the worst bug year I can remember in quite a while , especially the black flies. I am not a big cigar fan but the heavy smoke was the most effective thing I found for the flies. A lot of the repellents seem to help with the mosquitoes in varying degrees. Jack bought two of the thermocells and we each have a citronella can in the bottom of the boat for the evenings. A couple nights it was windy enough that the flies did disappear.
The camp looked like home after a long year waiting for the next trip. some new boats and motors being added annually to upgrade and maintain the fleet. That is a difficult thing to keep up with as while we were there, two of the newer motors were put out of commission temporarily because someone hit a rock.
Now, the fishing... we caught walleyes trolling morning and evening, and jigging with the jigging accounting for a large number of fish near dark on three nights. We would troll stickbaits and then turn to jigging around 830 . one night , by best count , we figure we caught 40 +legal size between 9 and 10 . two other nights were nearly as productive and one night that had real potential was surrendered to the flies. caught numerous pike, with several in the 30inch plus class. We fish for Lake trout as an afternoon diversion and generally don't catch the numbers we hear about on the board from Kipawa. We did manage two this year trolling with regular mono and deep divers. one was about 5 lbs , a nice fish, and the other 12 lbs , a lot of fun. Our new friends from eastern Pa seemed to do well and also had a great trip to one of the portage lakes for pike.
The new filet method continues to be a pain, especially when the powers to be want it used for fish that may be eaten but not that day. As we understand it, if we keep fish for tomorrows dinner , it has to be handled same as if its going home until time to cook it.
Another trip in the books and haven't even unpacked some of the stuff ... maybe denial  or waiting for the employer to surprise me with a bonus vacation week.. !! Great trip and treated very well by Norm and Chantell and Guy and his wife. finally , this is the second time that I was able to watch the Penguins final game with the sound in French. couldn't tell what they were saying but the result was good. Sam
So many lures and so little time.

Greg

Great report!  Thanks... consistent feedback on the bugs this year!  Sounds like you had some great success with the evening fishing!

...22 more days and I'll be headed up to Alwaki...

Greg

Ira

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had another great trip.

We're leaving Tuesday for Ogascanan. Temrose for dinner and the overnight stay.

Looks like we might want to double down on the bug repellent. Citronella candles in the boats for evening fishing - helpful? I guess it certainly couldn't hurt.  Has anyone else ever tried this?

CaptainCrappie

The Commander and I have yet to meet fellows on this or the previous Kipawa web site, that for the lack of a better term, could be classified as being... jerks. There seems to be a common core of appreciating the area and just plain having a good time. I wish the world could get along like people on this site.  Oh sure there can be some good natured kidding but that's fun too.  I remember when I met "shrink" and when I found out that he was a die hard Steeler fan, and he found out that I was a die hard Browns fan.... and after taking incredible heat from him and his buddies,  I reminded him of the fact that the hand I used to shake his hand was the same one I wipe my butt with!  There was some hootin and hollarin going on after that!  Ditto fishtildark, the pleasure was all ours.  Nice report.  Ya done good!

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

SgtCrabby

I like your report.  Very good, thank you.

I have met a few other members from here,  all have been great people.   I hope to meet more of them.
Per Cap'nCrappie's reference to team fans, I doubt if anyone on here follows the same teams I do:  Dallas Stars, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers, Mavericks.  What can I say; I'm a long ways away.

BH

Thank you for the report!  Can't wait for our trip to TBL.  Four weeks from now I expect to be on the water catching walleye near Moose Bay!  Will be traveling from Cleveland and using Hilton points to stay in North Bay Hampton Inn.  Probably not as rowdy as the Tem Rose in Témiscaming! Short drive to TBL on Saturday morning, unpack, get the rigs set and on to the water!
Love fishing

Cmdr. Bluegill

Quote from: fishtildark on June 23, 2017, 03:06:02 PM
Saturday mornings breakfast at the Temrose found us talking to two gentlemen at the next table who turned out to be Captain Crappie and Commander Bluegill.great conversation and a  pleasure meeting you guys.

Wow - "gentlemen" ?!!  The Captain and I have been called a lot of things but I don't recall that word associated with us often. ::) Thanks!!   Sounds like your fishing was much better than ours - glad you had a good week.  It is always a pleasure to meet someone from the board and put a face to a name.  Our breakfast encounter sure made a great start to our week.

Commander Bluegill
I don't know how to act my age - I have never been this old before!

SgtCrabby

Is "Gentlemen" acceptable language here?   ;)A
Nice guys,  grandfatherly,  or whatever is appropriate ...

But it is better than someone calling me a crusty-old-codger,   or worse.

johnny walleye

fishtildark

I neglected to respond to Ira's question on the citronella.. I do believe it helps with the mosquitoes ... not sure it does much on the black flies. There is the obvious safety concern if you are lighting one in the back of the boat with the gas can handy so watch for leaks and fumes . as I am writing this, I am not sure if it works well enough to be worth the potential risks. may stick with the thermocell and cigars in the future for at least the rear seat..
So many lures and so little time.