Lake Ogascanan July 9-13, 2017

Started by RockOnTour, July 16, 2017, 10:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockOnTour

Had our best trip to Canada ever (and that includes the past 30 years of my life).  This was our fourth year at Ogascanan and can't say enough good things about the Mullens (Brad, Ginny, Jer and Dan are fine people). Here's how it shook out.

Friday: Drove from Buffalo to Temiscaming. Passed Webers and the line was wayyyyyy out the door. Opted for Swiss Chalet....a guilty pleasure. Arrived in Temiscaming and checked in at the Auberge. Is it me or has this place taken a nosedive? Geesh.

Stopped at Liquor store in town and bought our bottle of gin, bottle of wine and Labatts and Molson Export.

Saturday morning: Went to quick stop store next to Pro Nature. Bought three 40 count worms and two dozen leeches.
Went to IGA and bought our other essentials (sausage, eggs, rolls, bacon, etc.). We already had most other things in the cooler but had to get those sausage links in Canada....real mild, tasty!! Can't find them anywhere in the states.

Off to camp and the two hour trip down the road. The road was in great shape (I thought) and Ginny said they had a lot of rain so I was expecting much worse.

Arrived at camp, Jer gave us a quick once over but we knew the plan already. We stayed on the main camp area in a large cabin. We've stayed at Southern Outpost the last two years but Dad has a tough time making the outhouse trip with the roots and branches that stick out....I have to say, staying at the main camp is no big deal and I think the benefits (toilet, hot water heater, running water in kitchen, Mullens close by if we need bait or ice) outweigh the outpost camp (outhouse, have to boil water fr dishes, etc.) It's a longer boat trip to our spots by 10-15 mins but it's worth it.

Got our gear unpacked whilst having a few beverages had dinner and then headed out at 6pm.

Action started quick on the southern end of the lake. Jer explained that the lake was still only 67 degrees and the bigger fish wouldn't be out until 70-71 degrees.
We netted about 10 fish the first night over two hours by drifting and had many under the slot and three that made the slot. So my son did the cleaning that night and we had fish for the next day's dinner. I won the "first fish" category with a nice 19 -20 inch walleye (it slotted so I was happy). My son caught the other two keepers.

Sunday: A full day of fishing. Had a great breakfast. Weather was gorgeous...nice drift. Overcast. Jigs, jigs and more jigs. Not sure why we bring all the other tackle.

So my father and son and I have been going fishing every summer for the past 12 years....I've been fishing with my father (and previously with my dad and grandfather for 30+ years). My dad, as he is apt to do, told me he was snagged but the snag was moving...he ultimately hauled in a nice 4 lb walleye which I was very happy to see. He was now leading the friendly competition for "biggest walleye".

About fifteen minutes later I was taking the same drift and "bang" I get a hit...no nibble. Just a bent rod. I   fought this baby for a few minutes and my son netted it real well. I was now in the lead. Five pounder...my Dad was happy but I could sense his disappointment.

Caught a bunch of other small walleyes and two fish that slotted for the freezer.

Monday: My son was due for a fish so he tied into a nice four pound fish of his own...I could sense he was disappointed and wanted to retake the belt from me (last year he caught a nine pounder right after I caught an eight pounder so he wasn't gonna let me (the old guy) take home bragging rights.

Caught many other small fish which all give a good fight in between stealing our bait. Son caught a nice 33 inch Pike and we had two more that slotted so off the freezer they go.

Tuesday: My son and I ventured out to find a few new spots and had luck. Most fish settled into 15-20 feet of water or anywhere where there is a "bump" or "hump" in the lake.

I took my Dad out to fish at Noon just for the heck of it. Didn't expect to net many (or any) but we took a small trip out to the big jug in the south end....we drifted twice and Dad caught one keeper...would make a nice side dish for dinner. I decided to do one more drift and came out with this mamma....

6 pounds...great fight and beautiful fish. Was nice watching her swim away slowly as if to say "See ya next year my man"

Caught plenty of fish that night...little guys and two that slotted but we opted to set them back in. We were up to 50+ fish for the trip and many keepers and large fish. We were happy.

Weds:  This was crunch time for my son. The only problem was....RAIN, COLD!! We actually slept in. But as you can imagine, on your last day of fishing, you'll go out in anything.

We set out to the new spots we found in the back bays and returned to our normal buoy for some fish as well. Caught two that slotted.

On our last spot (the place Dan and Jer said we should go because the wind was just right) my son kicked my butt with this fatty...7 pounds and just a beautiful fish.

Needless to say, he was excited for that fish and for taking home the "biggest walleye" win.

We ate like kings, drank alot of "drinks", watched movies at night, played cards, had mom's homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs, sloppy joes, steaks, just an all round great time.

Only change for next year: We will be staying at the TemRose...we had breakfast there and it was amazing, clean, friendly, etc.

Best of luck to you guys for the remainder of the summer.

BH

Thanks for sharing and so cool that three generations get to enjoy the experience.
Love fishing

john c

Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a good trip.  I will be at Ogas on July 29 for 2 weeks, maybe by then the water will be a little warmer.

john c
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

Jighead

Nice report. My group of guys used to go to Ogascanan many years ago. Mid 1990's. Brad, Ginny and the boys are the best.

SgtCrabby

Thank you for a great report!  Fantastic pictures too.

We'll be at Ogascanan in a month, I'm sure the water will have warmed up some by then.

getthenet

Thanks for sharing ! Enjoyed the report and pics !

NortonJoe

Now we got some reports coming in!  Sounds like a great trip...only 11 days until we leave.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

JigginFool

Thanks for sharing! Nice report and pics!

RockOnTour

Quote from: SgtCrabby on July 16, 2017, 11:22:04 PM
Thank you for a great report!  Fantastic pictures too.

We'll be at Ogascanan in a month, I'm sure the water will have warmed up some by then.
Have fun!! The water was 70 degrees when we left so I'm sure it will be just fine when you are there.

Take plenty of 1/8 ounce jigs...orange, green, yellow and white. Never really used white jigs before but I bought a dozen or so at Canadian Tire on a whim.

RockOnTour

Quote from: NortonJoe on July 17, 2017, 07:58:13 AM
Now we got some reports coming in!  Sounds like a great trip...only 11 days until we leave.
I saw your thread wanting more reports so figured I'd bite the bullet and post one.

Have fun on your trip. Best of luck.

RockOnTour

So I have a question: I was reading some other threads where guys were saying don't hold a walleye by the gills and don't hold them vertical. My apologies for my pics above...we broke both rules. Now I feel like a dumbskull for doing both. I can guarantee that all of the above fish swam away after I helped them get their bearings back. I guess I always always told to hold them that way because if you just cup your hand under their head they'll wiggle out of your hands and land on their back/spine/head....or worse yet, overboard and you lose the opportunity to take a pic. You fellas have any other preferred methods for posing a fish?

T-Bone

Nice report and some great pics...those are some dandy fish. I noted you said you were 'on a drift'. Where you pulling crawler harnesses, dragging a jig, or is it an 'ancient Chinese secret'? Also interested in the depth you were finding fish in. This year seems whacky....some reports say shallow...some say deep-deep. Or maybe...just maybe...the fish are cooperating to the point this year to where it doesn't matter...they're both deep and shallow!

Thanks again...
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RockOnTour

Quote from: T-Bone on July 17, 2017, 04:13:54 PM
Nice report and some great pics...those are some dandy fish. I noted you said you were 'on a drift'. Where you pulling crawler harnesses, dragging a jig, or is it an 'ancient Chinese secret'? Also interested in the depth you were finding fish in. This year seems whacky....some reports say shallow...some say deep-deep. Or maybe...just maybe...the fish are cooperating to the point this year to where it doesn't matter...they're both deep and shallow!

Thanks again...
The first thing we did was find a "hump" in the water...where the depth went from 25 ft...slowly up to 13-15ft and then back down to 25-30 feet again. When we located a hump or two, we'd set out boat to drift just off to either side of the hump with the hope that the bigger fish would be hanging around the outskirts of the depth change for food. Then we kept the jig all the way to the bottom but cranked up 6-12 inches. Found most fish were taking the jig with very little jigging action since the drift was moderate (no white caps).  We didn't catch any fish over 25 ft deep.

Chazz

Finally an Ogascanan trip report - great job thanks.  Been watching this forum for quite some time now.  Headed up there last week of July.  How were the bugs?  Did you troll for lake trout? 

morganjp

Heading to Ogascanan next week with my dad...."July 29/August 5".... Looking forward to seeing the Mullen's family again. Also will see John C and Nancy again. They will be there the same week..
We've always had a great time there and we catch fish. This is our 7th year....can't wait.