Trip Report – Alwaki (cabin 4) – July 15 to 22 – Erik and Greg

Started by Greg, July 23, 2017, 12:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillageD

Awesome report Greg. Those under the slot Walleye can be pesky, lots of little ones in Kipawa, but I assume that signifies a healthy lake.

As for trolling speed- here's a hack- put down your electric trolling motor,  point it back towards the boat and turn it on, adjust speed as needed. It will do a great job of dialling in your big motors trolling speed and you can adjust the resistance with or against the wind as needed. I saw your comment about conserving battery life, which is understandable but if you have a charging method  or are only out for a day fish, the trolling motor hack is great.

Greg

Thanks WillageD - ya we were thinking about that hack as well, but just didn't try it...  I do not have a method to charge the batteries (I found out that I could borrow my friend's generator at the end of the trip!) so I was cautious using up the batteries.

I am going to look for a couple of drift socks but will keep this in mind.

Cheers...
Greg

Greg

smitty55

Your facebook link isn't working atm Greg. Says content not available. darn

Cheers

Greg

smitty55

Quote from: limacharley on July 24, 2017, 12:10:22 PM

You were trolling with gang trolls which IMO are less sensitive to speed.

Hmm. That depends on the gang troll style IMO. For so long now it seems I almost strictly use the 7 blade Dave Davis #1 Big Hammer once the Greys are down deeper, it just has the most calling power of any gang troll IMO, and for me proper speed is paramount to getting that perfect action. Just as speed reaches about 1mph the rod tip and the feel indicates that just right cadence of those 3 large willowleaf blades. It's like a thump followed by two lighter bumps. Even hooked up to a rigger you can still see it on the rod tip some. As for your comment, sure it will still run faster but not only is that much more pull on the rod, I find you lose that thump from those big blades that lakers like, whether it's the #1, 77, 8  and I think there's one other. Anyway, that's how I've always fished them for lakers, but battling winds, correcting slides and cutting tight corners on structure are fun sometimes as it's hang on, cause I gotta give 'er lol. It's literally having to visualize your troll way far behind you and where you want it to be related to the structure you're passing. 10 colours is 300 ft of line out. Straight lines are easy,  but I'll usually bounce off shallower (40ft) bottom out to way deeper on large structure in light S turns anyway trying to find bait fish schools and trout too. Then I can adjust depth up or down. A good thing about it as well is that it doesn't matter if going with or against currents and wind because the troll action is what dictates throttle speed. For me in my tinny the salty2 down east rod holder is mounted right in front of me, it's the best bar none for a heavy outfit, and adjusted so the the rod tip is in perfect view for me at the tiller as I watched my paper graph below it. What a treat that technology was back then for many years, with the first true greyscale it was  great to determine bottom composition and separate fish from bottom too.

Anyway I'm wandering  lol. Cheers