Drive home

Started by Hodgey1, August 11, 2017, 11:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSZ

Thanks for the input. 

Hodgey1

Thanks @RoK and @pike mike for all your help. We opted to take the bypass suggestion coming home from Kipawa this past Saturday and it worked great. We took the 407 to the 403 to Lincoln Alexander to Mud to 20 to 27 to Weland out to the QEW. We experience only a small section of the 403 initially that was slow, but that was it. Once on 20 we moved well the entire way to the QEW. The proof was in the pudding, T-Bones group passed us i think around Barrie and they went the QEW the whole way. They were 15-20 minutes or more ahead of Us and we ended up getting to the Peace Bridge before them.

So my unscientific results say the bypass saves at least 15 minutes and major stress reduction of the stop and go of the QEW on a busy Saturday afternoon. I will use it again in the future.
Walleye Rock!

RoK

Glad to hear Hodgey. Even if its the same amount of time, much more relaxing IMO.

Ron
Cheers, Ron

T

Hodgey1,

Where did you pick up 27 off of 20? 

Rico

What we do when travelling to and from Kipawa is we plan our drive time in the middle of the night. Smooth sailing all the way.

Hodgey1

Quote from: T on July 01, 2019, 05:02:51 AM
Hodgey1,

Where did you pick up 27 off of 20?

I picked it up just North of Wellandport

Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quote from: Rico on July 01, 2019, 07:29:57 AM
What we do when travelling to and from Kipawa is we plan our drive time in the middle of the night. Smooth sailing all the way.

Its funny you mention that Rico, we are planning on leaving extra early this year to avoid some of the traffic on the 400, my biggest problem is on the way back...……

Does anyone know how early you would have to hit the 400 heading North on a Friday to avoid the crazy traffic? My plan right now is to come off the ETR and hit the 400 North bound at around 9:30-10:00am, is that early enough?
Walleye Rock!

T

Hodgey1,

Thank you!   We have the same problems coming South.  I live about an 1.5 hrs south of you.  We have found that if you can get to 400 by 9-9:30 am we don't have many problems.  Anything after that, it steadily gets worse.

Rico

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 01, 2019, 12:35:29 PM
Quote from: Rico on July 01, 2019, 07:29:57 AM

Its funny you mention that Rico, we are planning on leaving extra early this year to avoid some of the traffic on the 400, my biggest problem is on the way back...……

Does anyone know how early you would have to hit the 400 heading North on a Friday to avoid the crazy traffic? My plan right now is to come off the ETR and hit the 400 North bound at around 9:30-10:00am, is that early enough?
Hodgey1
Heading north we hit the 400 at around 7:00 am. Coming home we get on the 407 a little earlier if possible. Living in southern Ontario our travel time is 6 hours each way. I hope this helps.

limacharley

I don't miss that drive one bit.
Traffic ages you.....!
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

Quote from: limacharley on July 03, 2019, 12:23:04 PM
Traffic ages you.....!

Lima, I can't agree more!

Where I live, traffic is nearly non-existent "good jobs also  :( though" Every time I go anywhere it seems like traffic is insane.

• Washington DC, avoid at all costs
  • NJ Garden State Parkway on any summer day
  • Bay Bridge after two beers and heading to San Fran
  • 400 Heading North everytime I go to Kipawa
  • QEW heading toward Buffalo Ny every trip back from Kip
  • Did I mention DC
  • Everywhere I've traveled on the Gulf Coast of Florida

Traffic ages me.....!
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

Hodgey…
In my younger days, if a I was working an afternoon shift and we were planning
a drive up to see family, I'd pack the car and leave @ 00:15 hours just to avoid the
401 and 400 silliness. The wife and kids were asleep before I left Sarnia city limits...
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

I used to do the same for nearly all trips...….. I'm now getting O-L-D and night driving is killing my eyes due to the glare. I just came home last sunday from a 12hr exhausting trip of which 3 hrs were in the dark and I tried a yellow sun glass at night that seemed to help. I need to find a pair that's a little less dark and I think I might be back to enjoying a night drive.
Walleye Rock!