Author Topic: Newbie boat discussion  (Read 8878 times)

Offline Hodgey1

Re: Newbie boat discussion
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2017, 05:28:22 PM »
Here are pictures of the downrigger installation completed. It ended up being a fun project, kinda wish I had more to do  ;) Thanks to Rhybak for mounting ideas and design help. My final design was to make it so the entire bracket can be removed quick and easy, so I used studs mounted to floor and gunnel, then used knurled jam nuts. I think you'll be able to click on pics to see larger images.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:13:48 PM by Hodgey1 »
The fish are calling and I've got to go.

Offline RHYBAK

« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2017, 07:56:38 AM »
Look Really good
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Offline Hodgey1

« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2017, 06:18:44 PM »
Looks Really good

Thanks! Appreciate the help! :)

Offline Greg

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »
very professional looking mounts!  You should go into business - "look for my down rigger brackets @ Hodgey on Amazon.com" could be your new slogan!!!

Offline Hodgey1

« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2017, 07:23:15 AM »
very professional looking mounts!  You should go into business - "look for my down rigger brackets @ Hodgey on Amazon.com" could be your new slogan!!!

Thanks Greg, I appreciate the props. Which reminds me.... I had my brackets made at a family friends fabrication shop in the town I live in. The owners son who works in the shop and who made my brackets is a serious musky fisherman and has a side line business making custom rod holders, lures for musky and other fishing related items. Below is a link to his web site and some nice photo's of giant musky

http://www.fatazmusky.com/index.html

Offline BigChief

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2018, 06:58:16 AM »
@Hodgey1 I'm jumping in on this post a little late but I had the same sentiment you did about getting a boat. I was deployed for the military all of 2016 and did a lot of daydreaming about getting a boat. Needless to say I bought one before my Kipawa trip for 2017 and loved it.

I went a little different route. I got a fishing pontoon, Misty Harbor 2085 CF. I figured it would be good for fishing but also for family fun. And I have never been so comfortable! Got it brand new with the intent to have it paid off by the time I retire.

With getting it brand new, a little strapped to add a lot of accessories for it yet. Looking at a decent fishfinder for it this year though.

Offline Hodgey1

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2018, 07:29:38 AM »
I bought one before my Kipawa trip for 2017 and loved it.

I'd say that was a good move! :) I was only able to use my new boat in Kipawa for a few days in September last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I gave the pontoon boat a thought, but since my primary goal was to fish Kipawa, trailering was a concern, since I live 500 miles away. The weather here has been beyond awful, I hope to get the boat out of storage this weekend and get her ready for a dip into Lake Erie a time or two before Kipawa. Congrats on taking the plunge!