Newbie boat discussion

Started by Hodgey1, August 15, 2017, 09:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

I have over many years, sworn I would never own a boat, ever! My father kinda ruined my boating life in my late teens/early twenties. He had a 26' cruiser that we half A'd fished out of on Lake Erie. We did ok trolling for walleye which almost always floated up as near lifeless logs due to being caught at depth on a down rigger.

I learned to hate all of it, waiting to put in water, parking, loading the boat, then unloading the boat, constant maintenance, winterizing, cover off, cover on, battery issues, washing the bohemith and on and on.  He was always anal and made it no fun in the end for me....and why I never, not once in the last 30years, not even once, thought about owning a boat!

Then........I went to Kipawa for a week and crazy sh-t has been running threw my head :o

I'm not saying I'm gonna run out tomorrow and lay down $30k on a boat, it's definitely not how I roll. I'm a thinker contemplator, prior to ever making any purchases, particularly large ones. What I'm saying is, Kipawa has made me rethink my entire fishing life and rethink my whole, bad boat attitude. I'm not over stating it, but I really, really enjoyed fishing Kipawa and throughly enjoyed cruising to the next fishing spot in that tiny ass little boat.

Here's where things went sideways, I started thinking about a more comfortable seats, a Bimini top to keep my white skin from burning, a live well for leeches, better fish finder, trolling motor with anchor technology, lights, hey a beer holder and so forth. ;D

Let me say in advance, I know all of the questions and answers are subjective, but I have been impressed with the knowledge here on the board. So here's my question to the forum, if a guy wanted to go to the likes of Kipawa a couple times a year and also, possibly dip it into "when calm" Lake Erie, for a day of smallies now and again. What should he be looking for in fishing boat?

Size?
Make?
Motor size?
Motor Brand?
Used ?
Trailer brands?

General thoughts on pricing on a good used, of whatever you suggest? I would definitely want it to be foremost, Kipawa freindly, even if I'd have to sacrifice skipping Lake Erie

P.S. Please don't hate on me for being a prior boat hater. :D
Walleye Rock!

Canuckbass

Set the boat up the way you feel best, makes fishing a lot more enjoyable.

17 to 18 ft.
Alumacraft, a few other good brands but quality right now goes to Alumacraft.
90 to 115 is perfect
All motor brands are good these days. Prefer Japanese but Merc parts are readily available.
Lots of good used boats. Check walleye central website.

Hodgey1

I see different configurations of fishing boats that look like a platform up front to fish from the bow. Is that a preferential feature on a boat specifically for use in Kipawa? 
Walleye Rock!

fishtildark

I am still chuckling about the boating as a kid... we spent a lot of time at the Marina, no matter which lake it was.. Battery, water pump,  fuel line and pump..It was all part of the experience. Even though the happiest two days for a boat owner are the day they buy and the day they sell... I have one. but it doubles as ski/fish/ boat and wouldn't consider taking it to Canada. I like Canuckbass 'advice but also like princecraft and , if I were buying strictly for a Canadian fishing boat I would look for a 16' Naden and put a 20 +/- Yamaha or Honda on it. Guess they now have to be used as I think Naden went out of business..
As to the platform... probably wouldn't mix with waves and my Molson or Labatt's well.
So many lures and so little time.

Canuckbass

Naden certainly is durable, but I found they track awkward, weird front end on them.

For my style of fishing, certainly always a bow deck with foot controlled trolling motor. Big screen sonar/ gps up front. It's all about boat control.
Waves... good for 6 footers with a butt seat.

fishtildark

By "Tracking awkward " are you referring to when you are using a trolling motor or cruising? If trolling motor , I never would have experienced that.

Canuckbass

Quote from: fishtildark on August 16, 2017, 03:43:12 PM
By "Tracking awkward " are you referring to when you are using a trolling motor or cruising? If trolling motor , I never would have experienced that.

Cruising. The front end and sides are shaped sharp, they track on an angle almost. If that explains it.

Hodgey1

I took my wife out tonight for a very extravagant dinner "foot long & Cone" and I popped the big question..... so honey..... what are your thoughts on a fishing boat.... cricket noise................. then, then, then she says..........I don't know 🤔 What for?   ;D

This is movement in the right direction boys, trust me. She didn't say no!
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Here's what I've learned so far in my boat investigation. I'm going to begin shopping in the 18' range, preferably with a designation/designed for fish/ski purpose. I'm a snowmobiler, so I've learned to love the durability of my 4 stroke Yamaha's, so I want a 4 stroke motor. I've had many PM's with advice, so I feel like I have some brands to look at also. Is the 18' going to be somewhat adequate for a dip into lake Erie on a descent day?
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

You crack me up @Hodgey1...but I like the way you think.

If I were buying a fishing boat, especially for Kipawa or like applications, there's no doubt this is what I'd get. And who knows...maybe before I see you next I will.  ;D

http://www.lundboats.com/boat-models/1800-alaskan/
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Quote from: Canuckbass on August 16, 2017, 03:36:31 PM
For my style of fishing, certainly always a bow deck

Does bow deck mean, one that has a seat at the very front or with a flat platform where a seat can be mounted?
Walleye Rock!

WillageD

Hodgey- I am currently looking for the same sort of thing. Currently I have a 2006 Lowe FishingMachine 165 (16.5 footer)... it's a side console, 50 Hp Evinrude Etec, Bimini top, Lowrance sonar with DI and GPS and a Minn Kota Ipilot (spot lock, cruise control,etc) bolted on the front. I bought the boat used 3 seasons ago and it has certainly met my needs for fishing, but with a growing family. I am looking to upgrade to an 18 footer with a full windshield, rear bench and bigger engine. I think that set up will be more bersitile for fishing and family fun. In my research for an upgrade I've narrowed down my preferences to a few models that will check my boxes but still be somewhat fiscally responsible. My number one choice would be a Lund Impact 1675 or 1775 with a 90 or 115. Second option would be Crestliner Fishhawk 1750 with a 90 or 115, third would be a Pricecraft Sport 172 or 177 with a 90 or 115, and finally would also consider a Alumacraft with similar features to the previously listed boats. You mention a good Sonar and intelligent GOS trolling motor as wants of yours- don't sacrifice those things- THEY PUT FISH IN THE BOAT. After I added my Lowrance sonar and Ipilot trolling motor to my boat, I became a much better fisherman. Some items catch fish, some items catch the fisherman... those two things catch fish!! Good luck on your search!!

fishtildark

Have to say T-Bone has good taste in boats. the Lunds are great and probably worth the money if its going to be used. The vanilla fishing version ( much lower on the line than the one T-Bone linked to) is deeper than most others I have been in and probably needs floor boards .I also know the Bush country cargo/passenger lund has been around a long time and lasted through 2 or 3 engines.

Hodgey1

Quote from: fishtildark on August 16, 2017, 02:36:42 PM
I am still chuckling about the boating as a kid...

Quote from: T-Bone on August 17, 2017, 09:06:17 AM
You crack me up @Hodgey1...but I like the way you think.

Glad someone gets my sence of humor threw type! ;D
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quote from: T-Bone on August 17, 2017, 09:06:17 AM
If I were buying a fishing boat, especially for Kipawa or like applications, there's no doubt this is what I'd get.

http://www.lundboats.com/boat-models/1800-alaskan/

That is one sweet boat! Rhybak sent me a pic of his new Lund, it looked beautiful and like a perfect set-up to fish Kipawa.
Walleye Rock!