Newbie boat discussion

Started by Hodgey1, August 15, 2017, 09:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Quote from: WillageD on August 17, 2017, 09:38:40 AM
My number one choice would be a Lund Impact 1675 or 1775 with a 90 or 115. Second option would be Crestliner Fishhawk 1750 with a 90 or 115, third would be a Pricecraft Sport 172 or 177 with a 90 or 115, and finally would also consider a Alumacraft with similar features to the previously listed boats. You mention a good Sonar and intelligent GOS trolling motor as wants of yours- don't sacrifice those things- THEY PUT FISH IN THE BOAT. After I added my Lowrance sonar and Ipilot trolling motor to my boat, I became a much better fisherman.

Good info WillD. The GPS trolling really sounds like a great feature.
Walleye Rock!

Canuckbass

Quote from: Hodgey1 on August 17, 2017, 09:36:50 AM
Quote from: Canuckbass on August 16, 2017, 03:36:31 PM
For my style of fishing, certainly always a bow deck

Does bow deck mean, one that has a seat at the very front or with a flat platform where a seat can be mounted?

A deck to stand on, I stand 90% of my fishing.
Kipawa is easy fishing so a butt chair can be added for those trips.
I'm a bass angler first, Kipawa is for fun.

Canuckbass

Huge point on GPS and sonar plus trolling motor with spot lock. Learn to use all three and a bullet proof plan for Kipawa.
If in a budget, I'd spend less on a hull and put the extra $$ into the electronics.
Just like computers, most Anglers don't use their electronics to full capacity.
Number one thing, get it out of AUTO mode, dial in your sonar and they are gold.

T-Bone

Mr. Rhybak's boat is the cost of a decent home in most areas....  ;D. But he uses it almost every weekend...so it  makes sense for him.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Greg

Good advice T-Bone just gave - ask yourself how much do you want to spend... I was thinking the same thing - been very busy the last couple of days with work with no time to reply.

Hodgey - Here are my thoughts... How much will you use it?  think about setting your budget with this as a significant influencing factor... I got rid of a 17 foot Princecraft PRO 166 with a 90HP that I took to Kipawa for years - it was a great boat and served it's purpose very well.  But I wanted something newer, more powerful, and a better fishing boat as I am going to start doing more local bass tournaments and I use my boat every weekend (and some week nights) on the Ottawa river.   I bought a stratos 486 with a 150hp evinrude.   Did I make compromises - yes, got rid of fancy car as I was no longer travelling so much, got rid of motorcycles (I found myself riding along in the summer wishing I was fishing - that's when you know a move is necessary) and I got rid of snowmobiles (weather in this area is getting to a point where we had some seasons only 8 weeks long, and that was with a thaw week of freezing rain in the middle which made the trails horrible).

I also endorse CanuckBass' comments about giving yourself room ($2000 is a good target to stay under) for a couple of decent fish-finders (one with GPS/large screen at the drivers console) and one at the front with the transducer in the electric motor shaft.  And a decent electric motor - a boat of this size (16 to 18 feet) usually requires a power electric that requires 2 batteries - and remember, if you buy used, get the age of the batteries - it is an easy thing to do to buy a used boat and require 3 new batteries a week later - cha-ching $$$ - happened to a friend of mine and 3 batteries cost $600.   I don't have iPilot on my electric (I borrowed one in June and we used the anchor mode constantly, it is a fantastic addition).  I wish I had iPilot - I can upgrade for $500, but will make do without it (...for now).   I still have to buy some drift socks and a few other accessories that I feel I am missing - I checked into a power pole - wow, didn't realize those are in the $$thousands$$.

And don't forget all your safety stuff (life jackets, oar, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flashlight, anchor, etc. ) - if it is not included in the boat - best to budget $500 for that.

Just some of my thoughts - I am on my 3rd boat now, and probably my last (...the stratos is my forever boat :) ) and I have helped a buddy buy a boat last year (used 10 year old bow-rider) and helped another fried buy a brand new 16 foot aluminum with a 20hp 4-stroke and all the accessories and both are happy with what they spent and what they got and coincidentally, they both spent the same amount (right around $15k in total).  If I had to pick which one of these I would buy, it would be the 16 foot aluminum with the 20hp - simply because it targets fishing more (it has a live well) - I would add some comfortable seats and rod holders, etc.

Good luck - let me know if you have any questions.
Greg

Hodgey1

Thanks Greg for all of the great information.

You hit a nerve with the "how much" are you going to use it  :( :-[   My life is more than a little hectic right now and time to run off fishing will probable be at a minimum until life settles down a bit here. I have an elderly parent I've been caring for. That may be part of the fantasy issue, while I was fishing in Kipawa, I had nothing to deal with other than, how much beer do I need in the boat tonight. No, "I need run to the Store", no "cell phone calls", no "work issues", no "emergency room visits", no "a lot of things that are driving me crazy right now".

Like I mentioned early on, fishing Kipawa has reenergized my sleeping/waning fishing gene. I USED TO........... fish a lot and really enjoy it. I'm 51 and the past 10 years, I've only fly fished a few times for steel head at home here, no other fishing :-[. Age has a way of deadening the drive and fun out of a lot of things......... Fishing Kipawa reawakened something missing. Its been along time since something has gotten me excited and not being able to wait to do it again....  :D

So having emptied my life out to people I haven't met  :o, I guess this is all a bit cathartic.

The how much use "Dreams/Hopes": Two trips annually to Kipawa, one with my Son-in law, one with my wife. Then try and use here at home atleast two or three time a year. I used to really enjoy fishing for small mouth in lake Erie, so I would like to do that again. I guess when laid out like that, it would make more sense to rent than laid down serious jack for 5 trips a year? ???

The other part of the equation is, I now have two grandsons and I'd love to be the one to create Kipawa memories for them. I think having a comfy/safe boat to fish with them would go a long way to improving their experience. Lastly, I'm way down on the whole Disney type vacation thing for kids, I'd much rather put Disney vacation money into boat/fishing trips with my grand children.

Walleye Rock!

Greg

Yep, your place in life is always a significant factor... but here is what I will respond to that... there never is a perfect time, make the time.  The grandsons... wow - make that happen.  The first time in years, my son (soon to be 22) has expressed "I am coming to Kipawa next year no matter what" - he hasn't been there in 8 or 9 years - T-Bone and Marco (who you met) probably remember jumping of the cliff in front of the lodge with my kids while I went out in my boat and took pictures.

I am in that happy spot in life, kids finished all their sports and in university and have their own vehicles (ok, I bought cheap older cars for them, but it keeps them out of my hair) and they have jobs and busy social lives and my parents are healthy - I don't have to many weekend responsibilities any more - other than recording and watching F1 races, and UFC fights.

My advice... pull the trigger... make the time and enjoy it... the grandsons will love you for it.

Oh... as for other costs, I forgot to mention... annual costs of owning a boat: Winterization, storage, spring tune-up, insurance (budget $2k per year on high end).  If you do your own Winterization and storage, you just saved $1k.

BOAT is just an acronym for "Bring On Another Thousand$$$"

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!

Ozmo

Hodgey, I had a 16' deep v bass tracker with a 40 HP mercury that I took out on lake Erie a few years ago. It was a nice day and I had zero problems. I think on Erie 20 down to 16 it doesn't matter if the lake gets nasty. At the time it was a 9 year old boat in good condition and I paid just a shade under 5k for it. Good luck on your search.

limacharley

Ask yourself:

-----If you're going to Kipawa twice a year and Lake Erie ....maybe six times a year, does it make sense to spend 30k?

Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

Quote from: limacharley on August 17, 2017, 03:56:37 PM
Ask yourself:
--If you're going to Kipawa twice a year and Lake Erie ....maybe six times a year, does it make sense to spend 30k?

The answer to that is a definite no. My thoughts right now are to look for something used in the $8k to $15k range. I know even that is a lot for the amount of use. That is the part that I need to weigh and measure.
Walleye Rock!

Canuckbass

We have a 16 foot tinner with 30 hp and it works perfectly for Kipawa.
Fishes great for two people and if jigging a third person no problem.
We also make the 9 mile run to the island through rough water no problem.
Great size boat to tow and safe for Kipawa.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Canuckbass on August 18, 2017, 06:51:12 AM
We have a 16 foot tinner

Tinner ? Is that a brand or just that it is Aluminum?
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Anyone know the durability and construction of Smoker Craft? There's a 2010 18' 182 Pro Mag Aluminum,  With a Yamaha 150TXR - 4 Stroke motor, for sale close by. Thoughts?

https://erie.craigslist.org/boa/d/smoker-craft-pro-mag-182/6259306198.html
Walleye Rock!