Newbie boat discussion

Started by Hodgey1, August 15, 2017, 09:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Quote from: smitty55 on September 01, 2017, 10:56:48 PM
Yea, nice looking ride for sure Hodgey. Any thoughts on mounting a downrigger for Laker fishing? They do work well at Kipawa.
Thanks S55!

I haven't had a chance yet to dig into them, but my hope is to add two manual operated ones,  particularly if they somehow can be mounted using the "Sports Track" system. I'm felling a little squeamish about drilling holes at the current moment into my new vessel, but that will fade with time.

Anyone here know about mounting DR's to sports track?
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quick search on google I came up with multiple manufactures of downrigger mounts for the sports track system.

Boat= bring on another thousand  ;D
Walleye Rock!

BH

Greetings from CLE since I notice the OH registration!  Nice looking boat!  Have to ask, how happy was the seller to get rid of the boat?  Was it really his second happiest day?  Thanks for sharing your story and hope you make the time to use your new boat frequently.   
Love fishing

Hodgey1

Quote from: BH on September 03, 2017, 09:18:14 AM
Greetings from CLE since I notice the OH registration!  Nice looking boat!  Have to ask, how happy was the seller to get rid of the boat?  Was it really his second happiest day?  Thanks for sharing your story and hope you make the time to use your new boat frequently.   

Thanks BH. I purchased from a single retired fella, outside Youngstown. He was searching for retirement activities and tried fishing and decided it wasn't for him. He was taking the money to buy some sort of boat that only needs 6" of water to run and uses a jet ski motor?  So, yes he was glad, because he now had money to buy another boat ;D

I am going to make time to use it, for fear of my wife's rath  8)
Walleye Rock!

Greg

Getting all those "goodies" thrown in definitely made it a sweet deal... WOW!

Canuckbass

Perfect boat, sonar and trolling motor is a good set up.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Canuckbass on September 03, 2017, 10:08:51 PM
Thanks Canuck! Taking her out for a test drive today.
Walleye Rock!

WillageD

Quote from: Hodgey1 on September 04, 2017, 09:01:09 AM
Quote from: Canuckbass on September 03, 2017, 10:08:51 PM
Thanks Canuck! Taking her out for a test drive today.

Enjoy! Pictures look great!

Hodgey1

Quote from: WillageD on September 04, 2017, 09:55:29 AM
Enjoy! Pictures look great!
Thanks Will!

I Took it out today, just to check out her sea worthiness, electronics and such. Motor ran great, came up on plane no problem. Live bait well filled and aerated. Garmin works well, going to need some time boning up on its uses. All in all, one nice boat that needs to get some fishing time in Kipawa. Loading and unloading was pretty simple also.

Question, it has a Mercury 2013 60hp 4stroke. Am I to assume that the full throttle position is adjusted properly as to not over rev the motor? .......Being new to boat/motors what should the maximum rpm' be for this motor for sustained full throttle? Is it the full throttle position or is it best to keep it below a certain rpm? I think I saw 7000 rpm's at full throttle position, but not positive, I was on small lake so traffic had my attention.
Walleye Rock!

Canuckbass

I've never heard of adjusting the throttle. Most motors you don't want to go over 6000 rpm, most boats run wide open throttle 5400 to 5600 rpm.
Would be a good question for local Merc Marine Tech.
If you hit 7000 rpm I'm sure incorrect prop on boat or previous owner preferred smaller prop for quicker hole shot acceleration.

Changing props is a whole other novel... Lol. Bigger prop means less lower end power but faster top end. Never buy a prop without water testing on your boat.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Canuckbass on September 04, 2017, 04:30:44 PM
I've never heard of adjusting the throttle. Most motors you don't want to go over 6000 rpm, most boats run wide open throttle 5400 to 5600 rpm.
Would be a good question for local Merc Marine Tech.
If you hit 7000 rpm I'm sure incorrect prop on boat or previous owner preferred smaller prop for quicker hole shot acceleration.

Changing props is a whole other novel... Lol. Bigger prop means less lower end power but faster top end. Never buy a prop without water testing on your boat.

I will have to take it out for another run where it's less congested. I was only able to run full throttle position a couple of quick bursts. This lake "Edinboro" is tiny and way congested.  Next week I plan on getting it out on bigger water and check the rpms. Thanks for the input.
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Adjust your trim when at full throttle.
To much work ( strain) on the engine if the trim is not adjusted

That might be why you have the high RPM.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

limacharley

Nice boat Hodgey.
I have electric down riggers and they are an easy set up.  Visit a Lund dealer and they'll recommend what you need to set up electric.
Perfect for trolling those huge Erie walleye or Kip lakers.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T-Bone

Quote from: Hodgey1 on September 01, 2017, 03:45:18 PM
It's official, I now own a sweet boat for Kipawa! Picked it up today, couldn't be much happier. Well, maybe if I could get away next week with it to fish Kipawa, would make me happier? 

Look at you go, Hodge! Wow! No more wobbles and breaking rods...  ;D

Man gets bit by Kipawa...buys boat. You're a man of action....nice work. Can't wait to see it next July...

T-Bone.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Quote from: RHYBAK on September 05, 2017, 08:23:38 AM
Adjust your trim when at full throttle.
To much work ( strain) on the engine if the trim is not adjusted
That might be why you have the high RPM.

I will try adjusting trim and pay closer attention to the rpm's next time out. I don't want to damage the motor doing something stupid on my part. I did adjust the trim yesterday to bring the bow down,but  like I said, traffic on the water on a holiday had me paying attention to many things. I'm guessing its fine and that the rpm's where 6,000 and not 7,000.... I hope.

Quote from: limacharley on September 05, 2017, 08:36:53 AM
Nice boat Hodgey.
I have electric down riggers and they are an easy set up.  Visit a Lund dealer and they'll recommend what you need to set up electric.
Perfect for trolling those huge Erie walleye or Kip lakers.

Thanks Lima! Down riggers are probably going to have to wait at least until next season  :( Wife says "Down what's?" and "How much?"  ;D

Quote from: T-Bone on September 05, 2017, 11:42:12 AM
Look at you go, Hodge! Wow! No more wobbles and breaking rods...  ;D

Man gets bit by Kipawa...buys boat. You're a man of action....nice work. Can't wait to see it next July...
T-Bone.

Thanks TB! Chad and I took her for a short spin yesterday and the first thing out of his mouth was "now you have plenty of room to fall" ::) geez, break one pole..  ;)

I really have  been bit.  :D  I'm also more in tune now more than ever, to how short life really is after turning 50 and loosing my mom all in the last year. I know I've used this before on the forum, but I tell my daughters, I'm in the 4th quarter of the big game and with no guarantee of overtime... :-\ 

I'm watching the forecast and in negotiation with my wife on a possible quick trip yet this year to Kipawa  8). Next weeks weather looks great, but still unsure if work will slow up for my escape.
Walleye Rock!